Profile for Andy Wise > Reviews

Andy Wise

DYSON HOT + COOL FAN *NEW*
DYSON HOT + COOL FAN *NEW*
Offered by PremiumBrands-4-Less

1.0 out of 5 stars Not cool. Not cool at all. Second review against new product listing, 8 April 2014
Looks like the old product listing was replaced with this - perhaps it was drowning under the weight of all the negative reviews and they figured that re listing it in the winter (where it has some use) as opposed to the summer (where it does not) would be prudent.

So we bought one of these last year specifically to cool our 6 month as he had severe eczema and doesn't do well in the heat. We were quite sure that the product would cool his room; it is after all branded as 'hot and cool'.

The truth is that this is a pretty looking fan heater. It has no cooling function to distinguish it from any £10 desk fan. When I called the Dyson helpline they confirmed that the product does not cool a room in any way; it is not an air conditioner.

If you're looking for an attractive fan heater that moves the more air more effectively than your average fan heater and don't mind paying more than 30 times the amount you could on another decent quality product that does the same thing I'm sure this would be great for you. If you're looking for something that has any cooling function at all you should really buy something else.

A real disappointment; we're huge fans (forgive the pun) of the Dyson brand and feel that this is being marketed in a directly dishonest way. The 1 star is being given on that basis.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not cool at all., 10 July 2013
We bought one of these at the weekend specifically to cool our 6 month as he has severe eczema and doesn't do well in the heat. We were quite sure that the product would cool his room; it is after all branded as 'hot and cool'.

If you're looking for an attractive fan heater that moves the more air more effectively than your average fan heater and don't mind paying more than 3 times the amount you could on another decent quality product that does the same thing I'm sure this would be great for you. If you're looking for something that has any cooling function at all you should really buy something else.

Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 5:01 PM BST

Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy)
by Mitchel Scanlon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst book in the HH series so far., 9 May 2013
Don't want to wax lyrical here - I've just put up with Michael Scanlon writing like that for the entirety of what was a hard slog second reading of the book.

I remembered really hating this book first time round but being a fan of the series and the Dark Angels chapter in particular I wanted to give it another go. I'd forgotten specifically how I felt about the book but in brief;

About 85% of the book is spent on a second rate teenage fantasy story that has absolutely no tie in the universe and wider story in which it occurs. The last few chapters of the book are set in the broader universe and the story actually picks up a bit at that point. Regrettably when the story looks like it's getting some legs up it deflates itself totally by having the weakest battle scene possible that seems to have been rushed through and a clipped, blink and you'll miss it finale.

The delivery of exposition is absolutely awful. Forced, contrived and jarring.

Some of the language used is extraordinary. I'm not the least wordy person on the planet, indeed I have been accused of being verbose, loquaciousness and worse but this guy comes out with some words that I have literally never read or heard before. I strongly suspect that he either has a well thumbed thesaurus on his desk or there's some compulsion to hit shift F7 every five minutes to prove he's clever. Yuk.

I'm not going to go full geek but there are a bunch of annoying 40k discrepancies in the book too, it's clear that he's no fan of the 40k universe.

In short it's an immaturely told story that adds nothing to the series in which it sits. Unless you're into reading / listening to every story in the Horus Heresy series this is one to miss.

IL2L Women's Leather Bomber Jacket with a Deep Knitted Collar (M (12), Black)
IL2L Women's Leather Bomber Jacket with a Deep Knitted Collar (M (12), Black)
Offered by IL2L Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife looks hot in this, 21 Feb 2013
And she likes it too. .

I have to write twelve more words. Now seven, now five, now three. Done.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars As perfect a series of films as you're likely to find, 21 Feb 2013
Two kinds of people are going to knock these films; people who don't like fantasy (who have no business watching them in the first place) and people who like to look clever by criticising popular media.

I don't fall into either of those camps - the films are just about perfect and the extras are extravagent in their quantity and quality.

The box is really nice too.

The only thing I'd say is that it was a bloody cheek to release the theatrical versions and hold back release of the extended films when they were ready to go.

Diono Easy View Back Seat Mirror (Black)
Diono Easy View Back Seat Mirror (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, well executed, 11 Jan 2013
The mirror was easy to attach and does exactly what it sets out to do. Great idea and well made. A recommendation from a friend and one I'll be making to friends of mine.

Legion of the Damned (Space Marine Battles)
Legion of the Damned (Space Marine Battles)
by Rob Sanders

4.0 out of 5 stars Chapter of the Excoriators more like, 4 April 2012
Quick review - I think it's a great book with strong characters and a refreshing approach to intra chapter relationships, quite rare to see so many quarrels within a loyalist chapter but this aspect of the story is handled very well I think.

The only thing I'd say on the negative side is that for a book called Legion of the Damned there's damned little reference to the legion. I'm about 85% of the way through and I'm hoping that the eponymous marines actually get a look in. Given that I bought the book specifically because I wanted to find out about the LotD I'd feel a bit cheated if they weren't developed a bit here.

Let's see how it ends.

Yeah - finished it now and there was nothing new about the legion that wasn't already part of the existing body of 40k lore. Bit cheeky that. I consider myself mislead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2014 1:11 PM BST

Paul of Dune (Legends of Dune)
Paul of Dune (Legends of Dune)
by Brian Herbert

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 8 Dec 2011
I'm a huge fan of the original series and can only really talk about Paul of Dune in that context.

The original set of books is adult, esoteric and challenging. This book is not. The originals describe strong characters who grow and develop consistently over the course of the story and who are done a cruel disservice here to the point where they are unrecognisable.

I don't know if it's down to the writers' limitations or whether they've cynically targeted a younger market but this feels like a kiddy's primer for Dune. The writing style is simplistic to the point of being downright childish at points. There's nothing inherently wrong with that of course, there's a huge a growing number of kids reading which is great. The problem lies in the fact that there's no earthly reason why the authors had to set the story in the Dune universe other than the fact that there's more likely to be a fat cheque in it than if they'd actually created something new. I hope the dollars in the bank act as some kind of anodyne for Brian Herbert to ease the pain of exploiting his father's work in such a shameful and disrespectful way.

For people who love Frank Herbert's novels I strongly suggest you give this a wide berth. For those that haven't read the originals you should. Then you should give this a wide berth too.

I used to enjoy a book on my journey into work. This was so horrible that I think it's actually put me off reading altogether for a while. I'd revisit some of the original series to cleanse my pallet were it not for the fact that my bookstore's shelves are full up with tat from Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson rather than stocking Frank Herbert's work.

Please don't buy this; it'd only encourage them to come out with more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 5:19 AM BST