Profile for Financial Musings > Reviews

Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D for Dummies
Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D for Dummies
by Julie Adair King

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it!, 6 May 2010
If you don't know a lot about cameras and have just splashed out on a 500d - buy this book!

It is orders of magnitude better than the manual and gives hundreds of additional useful photography tips.

Speedy Weedy
Speedy Weedy
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars The speedy weedy rocks!, 6 May 2010
This review is from: Speedy Weedy (Misc.)
I love this device! Kill those dandelions without having to bend over.

The only down side is that it leaves quite large holes (although these fill in after a couple rain showers) and it is not that robust- I go through about one a season.

BUT there is nothing that comes close to this for ease and effectiveness on the market.

Canon EOS 500D Digital SLR Camera (15.1 MP, 3.0 inch Clear View VGA LCD) Body Only

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon 500D body only, 6 May 2010
I bought this as my first dSLR, a significant step up from the compact cameras I had previously owned. However I have in the past had a Minolta SLR and my wife had a Canon SLR with a couple lenses, hence we went for Canon over other brands so we didn't have to buy the kit lens. Instead I bought the cheap (but excellent) 50mm f1.8 to go with the 28-90mm we already owned. I've now had it for a couple months, taken a few thousand photos, and added a 55-250mm zoom lens to my collection.

Having a scientific background I have really enjoyed getting the hang of all the settings. I bought the "For Dummies" book for this camera which is a thousand times better than the manual for explaining how things work. The only key tripping point with this camera (and I assume this is the same for most other dSLR's) is that you really need to keep the ISO at 100 or 200. In the auto-ISO mode the camera trades off between f-stop, shutter speed and ISO, often using quite a high ISO setting which gives low quality images. A bit of thinking about the lighting normally allows pretty good indoor photos during the day with a 200 ISO and using the 50mm f1.8 lens, however a flash is definately on my wish list.

Moving from a compact to a SLR is quite a culture change, and I have wrecked lots of pictures through not really knowing what I am doing. However as I have been getting the hang of things much better results have been forthcoming. To be safe I have oftened use the fully automatic mode however this does not give quite as good results as one might expect from the equivalent mode on a compact camera, probably because you don't but a dSLR to just use in auto mode! I have now switched to using the P mode or creative auto mode for "non-thinking" shots and use the advanced modes when I have time to play with settings. To be honest I don't use the live view function and the video facility is a bit of a gimmick, especially as it only really works with manual focusing. The video is all right for spontaneous filming however my middle-of-the-range Panasonic video camera is much better.

The only point of getting a dSLR is to combine it with different lenses, so the financial commitment is more than just for the camera. I didn't previously realise quite how much lenses cost, and you do tend to get what you pay for. I am not serious (or rich) enough to buy any of the professional lenses, however the few cheaper lenses I have bought are perfectly good for family pictures and day outings to the zoo etc. Indeed this set up is excellent if you are just a beginner and want to learn about photography. I would recommend this camera whole-heartedly to any beginner or amateur photographer as easy to use and, once you get the hang of it, capable of pretty good pictures.