Profile for Ms Alison Baxter > Reviews

Content by Ms Alison Baxter

Ms Alison Baxter (Toowoomba, Qld Australia)

Page: 1 | 2
Emotionally Weird
Emotionally Weird

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh! Takes me back, 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: Emotionally Weird (Paperback)
Kate paints the best word-pictures - really word-movies, because she hops from place to place and time to time and character to character, and you can't wait to see what is going to come up next. Most interesting way of telling a tale with the change of fonts too. I'm reading all her books in order, after being given one and becoming an addict. Kate had better write a dozen more, cos I'm catching up fast.

Sunshine on Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street)
Sunshine on Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Bertie's life again - sigh and giggle, 14 Sep 2013
If you love poor out-of-the-mouths-of-babes-Bertie, and the many adventures in 44 Scotland Street, you'll pounce on this next chapter with mouth-watering delight - just as I did. Delicious writing - what can one say about A.McC Smith that hasn't already been said a thousand times? Makes the brain giggle.

The Judas Pair (Lovejoy 1)
The Judas Pair (Lovejoy 1)
by Jonathan Gash

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Yarn, 29 Aug 2013
Enjoyed the tv series, thought I'd start on the books. This is the first Lovejoy book by author John Grant - pen name Jonathan Gash for this series. If you like antiques - watch all the tv shows - then you'll enjoy this murder mystery peppered with info about antiques, collectors, dealers, and their ploys, all with the wit and exuberance of the Lovejoy so well-portrayed by Ian McShane in the tv series.

Human Croquet
Human Croquet

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancestral Tree with a touch of Orlando, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Human Croquet (Paperback)
I'm a new fan of Kate Atkinson, and this is the third book I've read. In this, as in Behind the Scenes at the Museum, she swings from past to present, gradually shortening the gaps till all the pieces fit into a picture that pulls all the 'loose ends' together and you can see the development through families and relationships and you finish the book with a satisfied "Ahhhh". Lovely writing, great word pictures as only a good author can do.

Behind The Scenes At The Museum
Behind The Scenes At The Museum
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Can't put down' reading, 21 July 2013
I am a new and solid fan of Kate Atkinson. What a wonderful writer - involved storytelling, but very easy to follow. Delightful insights into society and, in this book, with a family and its heritage over nearly 100 years. Kate's expressive and witty writing will make you laugh, groan, and weep.

Firewall: Kurt Wallander
Firewall: Kurt Wallander
by Henning Mankell

5.0 out of 5 stars GRIPPING!, 23 Feb 2013
I am a huge fan of Henning Mankell's. I recommend you read all the books in order, but start with The Pyramid as Mankell sets up the Wallander character and his early career and marriage. Then read them all in order. They are all not-put-downable! But this one, FIREWALL, was even more gripping! Fantastic writing. Great story. Mankell's a Master.

Gary Tank Commander -  Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Gary Tank Commander - Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Greg McHugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary: More of Gary et al, 22 Feb 2013
You have to love the wit of this man and his show and characters. 'Takes the mickey' well and truly and I love it.

Gary: Tank Commander - Series 3 [DVD]
Gary: Tank Commander - Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Greg McHugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary: None like him, 22 Feb 2013
I found you on the teev and just had to have you! Wonderful funny stuff. Off-beat humour which I love; great characters. Witty and sharp.

Would I Lie To You - Series 4 [DVD]
Would I Lie To You - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Brydon

5.0 out of 5 stars Would I Lie to You??, 22 Feb 2013
No of course not! This show has me 'in stitches' laughing. Wonderful English humour - none better. I'll be collecting them all.

Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
by Jennifer Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh those trainee nursing days!, 28 Dec 2012
My own nursing training was in the early 1960s, so this took me right back. The uniforms, the regimens, the procedures, even the names of instruments - I felt I was going through it all again.
Lovely book, full of laughs too. Anyone who was a nurse in those eras could not help but be taken back, and enjoy the memories.

Page: 1 | 2