Profile for Mr. Scott Considine > Reviews

Content by Mr. Scott Cons...

Mr. Scott Considine "esssea" (somehwere only I know)

Glory Hope Mountain
Glory Hope Mountain
Offered by nagiry

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: may induce soporific bouts of happiness, 19 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Glory Hope Mountain (Audio CD)
I was sent this album to listen to last week and I must admit it has been a genuine surprise.

There is a warmth and resonance to the vocals - which I find to be very similar to those of Rufus Wainwright (in his quieter moments) - which keep me engaged.

Following around five, six complete listens, I can say that Im not too intimate with the context of the lyrics and can only hope that the songs are not about really dark subject matters... otherwise I will feel guilty for luxuriating in the sound and timbre of the piece as a whole.

I would recommend this to people that enjoy Bon Iver, early Iron and Wine, Smog, Elliott Smith (sic) and maybe Bonnie Prince Billy.
Also if you enjoy things from the 70's like Jackson Brown, Joni Mitchell and the like you may want to give this album an audience.

Veneer
Veneer
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars hushed cool, 2 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Veneer (Audio CD)
The air is still around me and I need to take my mind off everything that is happening. Work was bad, the traffic home was terrible, people in the street continually banging in to me, my answerphone is full of marketing nonsense and my mail is all junk. Theres nothing on the tv and no one emailed (apart from the usual offers that I always recieve....). I take a bath, dim the lights, light a few candles, put on my favourite t-shirt and stick this into the cd player. I close my eyes. All is cool, the relaxing voice, the excellently played guitar. Jose is with me in the room, assisting my relaxation. This album gives a warm glow, a comfort blanket for when you dont want to smash things up and pogo around. Its gorgeous.

George Best Plus
George Best Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars I am wearing my cardigan and have turnups in my jeans, 17 Jan. 2006
This review is from: George Best Plus (Audio CD)
This album fizzes along with joy unabounded. Sure there are tears, there is snot left of the sleeve of a favourite jumper. But this album contains the joie de vivre equal to the happiness gained from your first real kiss, sitting in the bus stop after walking your partner toi catch their ride home.
Redolently teenage, embarrassing at times but played with such vigour that it doesnt matter.
A delight and along with Bizarro, one of the few albums I can keep coming back to enjoy.

Hats
Hats

5.0 out of 5 stars Its four in the morning, 17 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Hats (Audio CD)
I drain another glass of dry red wine. It stains my upper lip. I lick and taste the salt from my tears. Shes gone. My heart is broken. But there is life. I play this and it hurts and I want to cry. I keep listening and there is hope. The sun comes up and begins to be the salve to my pain. Im tired of crying on the stairs, so I listen and begin to feel that it doesnt matter. There is always hope. Look there is the light, here is 'hats' by the blue nile and things are going to get better.

On Fire
On Fire
Offered by CAC Media UK

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely 2am album, 11 Jan. 2006
This review is from: On Fire (Audio CD)
Get in to your chair, put on headphones, relax. Press Play. Turn off the lights. Open the curtains and stare at the night sky. The stark beauty generated by this three piece was rarely captured as well as it is here. Sparingly produced and beautifully played it becomes a close companion for those 'still awake at 2 a.m.' moments.
Enjoy.

Our Endless Numbered Days
Our Endless Numbered Days

4.0 out of 5 stars stark yet warm, 25 Jun. 2004
I found this album to be a bit of a dichotomy: this is due to the fuller sound that Sam Beam has instilled in to his latest release; but the sound an ostensibly sparse one.
I have enjoyed the previous releases and this did not disappoint. Whilst there is nothing as immediate as 'Jesus the Mexican Boy'(from the 'Sea and the Rhythm' E.P), I have found that after multiple listens I am still finding things in each song, hushed and haunting as the vocals are.
I would like to recommend that this could be a good starting point for people wishing to dip their toes into the the new acoustic movement as it is accessible yet still gives the listener the feeling that the songs are written for their ears only.
Enjoy!