Profile for J. Short > Reviews

Content by J. Short

J. Short (Denby Dale, Yorkshire)

Rewind the Film
Rewind the Film

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Weak Effort, 29 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Rewind the Film (MP3 Download)
I have admired the Manics for most of their career, highs and lows, and unlike many I thought that 2010's Postcards was a real highlight. Sadly, this is not.
There are some tracks which reflect past glory - This Sullen Welsh Heart, Show me the Wonder and 30 Year War would happily fit onto any "Best Of" CD, but the rest...I'm afraid I find them limp and soggy, lacking the gusto and bombast of tracks like "A Billion Balconies" or the depth of "If you tolerate this", with no high points, just (at best) some mildly pleasant b-sides.
After a week on my "New" playlist, I'm afraid that I can't face it any more, and have replaced the whole lot with Graffiti on the Train (again). Now THAT's what I call Music!

Karrimor Men's Bodmin II Mid Weathertite Walking Boot
Karrimor Men's Bodmin II Mid Weathertite Walking Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lightweight Boots, 10 April 2012
I only bought these because they were so reasonably priced, and my "proper" leather boots were going in for re-soleing.

I read all the reviews that said they weren't watertight, and thought about the sort of walks I do - Dark Peak peat bogs mostly - but gave them a go anyway. And you know what? They are just as good as the leather ones I paid £180 for. I've used them solidly for a couple of months now, crossed the very wet peat of Kinder and Bleaklow (twice) and had not a sign of wet feet.

Sure, the ankle support isn't what you'd get on "mountain" boots ( although I've just got back from the Lakes and they did fine on some rough ground at 2500' above Langstrath)and the footbed is a bit thin ( but I've just put a thicker one in, so no problem really), but for everyday walks they are superb.

They are just as weatherproof as Leather with gore-tex. So, yes, at some point they will let wet in, but with a cheap re-proofing spray they have been fine for me.

But the big bonus is that they are showing no signs of cracking along the upper, which all my leather boots do after a few hunderd miles. And I'm on 150 miles and counting...

Status 573 mm T5 Under Cupboard Strip Light Fitting, Transparent
Status 573 mm T5 Under Cupboard Strip Light Fitting, Transparent

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lighting, 7 Jan. 2012
After years of struggling with older and bulkier built-in under cabinet strip lights, with which persistent flickering was a continual problem, we tried one of these, and were so impressed (as they say) that we bought another three.
Slimline but bright and without a flicker as they light up, they were relatively easy to wire into the existing junction boxes (please note that they do not come with plugs, so you will have to either attach plugs or connect to junction boxes in your existing wiring). They have plenty of cable, but fine cable clips are needed to keep the wiring looking neat. Fitting three took less than a morning, and it was time well spent!

Who Am I
Who Am I

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this album!, 20 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Who Am I (MP3 Download)
If you haven't discovered the works of Dougie Maclean then this is as good a place to start as any. Dougie is a very fine singer/songwriter - if you like Joni Mitchel or Jackson Browne, but would have preferred them to write about Britain, then Dougie is your man. This album is a wonderful collection of contemporary Scottish folk with songs beautifully crafted to lovingly describe the Perthshire that Dougie grew up and still lives in. Talking With my Father and Who am I are two of the best songs I have ever heard, especially (but not exclusively) if you know the "gentle Perthshire hills" around Dunkeld.

Born In A Barn
Born In A Barn

4.0 out of 5 stars Catchy Pop from the Non Poet Laureate, 19 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Born In A Barn (MP3 Download)
If you haven't read poet Simon Armitage's book Gig, you probably won't have heard of the Scaremongers, which is a great pity as their music deserves a much wider audience. Formed by Armitage (Vocals and Lyrics)and school friend Craig Smith (most of the rest) they have a talent for catchy pop with clever lyrics. I've found myself whistling "Cardigan Girl" and "You can do nothing wrong in my eyes" (think a cross between Camera Obscura and The Beautiful South), but there is more to them than that. Listen to Legendary or Deraileur and their influences (The Smiths?)shine through Armitage's Huddersfield tones and Craig Smith's music. Armitage lives in the next village to me, but the music is much more than "Kitchen Sink Snow Shaker Pop/Rock" as he puts it. It is actually very good! I for one am glad that I decided to follow the advice of Idlewild.."Support Your Local Poet"

Sweet Bells
Sweet Bells
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas Treat, 11 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Sweet Bells (Audio CD)
A new Kate Rusby Album is an event at the best of times, but in the dark days of December, something to warm you as you struggle through the snow...a collection of South Yorkshire Carols, that bring to CD the feel of sitting in the village pub as the carols ring out. What about a wonderful version of "The Holly and The Ivy" or "Hark the Herald" ? Or a couple of moving social conscience songs like "The Miner's Dream of Home" or "Serving Girl's Holiday" ? Or something to push you through to spring, like "Candlemas Eve" ? Personally I could listen to Kate singing the Cawthorne Phone Book, but the new album showcases her voice beautifully against the Grimethorpe Colliery Band and her folk staples. I for one will be listening well into the cold days of February..