Profile for E. S. Jones > Reviews

Content by E. S. Jones

E. S. Jones (Coventry, UK)

The Piemakers
The Piemakers
by Helen Cresswell

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Piemakers (Paperback)
I read this story as a child, probably when I was about 9 years old, and I really enjoyed it. I have just read it to my two children, daughter aged 9 and son aged 7, and they also loved it. It is a simple story of a family of piemakers who enter a piemaking competition, only to see their attempt end in disaster. But when they hear of an even bigger competition, they can't resist having another go, with the help of their friends and neighbours.

With lively characters and dialogue that's great for reading out loud, it kept my children's attention and they had fun trying to imagine a pie made for 2000 people!

The Cosby Show: Season 1 [DVD]
The Cosby Show: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Cosby

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family Viewing, 18 Mar. 2014
I bought this because I remembered enjoying watching it on TV a long time ago, and it doesn't disappoint. I have watched this series with my two children, aged 8 and 7, and they absolutely love it. It is very funny, with lots of laugh-out-loud moments, and the humour stops it from becoming too schmaltzy. I would thoroughly recommend it.

Rhamin
Rhamin

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rhamin (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, particularly the setting and the likeable characters, both wolf and human. There were some good plot twists too, and the depiction of the wolves' characters was very believable.

I learned a lot about wolf behaviour, although at times the writing seemed a little bit too much like a natural history lesson! That aside, I would recommend this book to any teenager or adult who enjoys stories about animals.

Dora Saves the Snow Princess (Dora the Explorer 8x8 (Quality))
Dora Saves the Snow Princess (Dora the Explorer 8x8 (Quality))
by Dave Aikins

3.0 out of 5 stars An adventure for Dora, 18 May 2009
Don't be put off by the girly picture of Dora on the front - she still gets to enjoy an exciting adventure: travelling across the ocean in the Pirate Piggies' ship, climbing through a cave, and eventually saving the Snow Princess from a tower. The story isn't the best, but it allows for some nice interaction - my 3 year old daughter enjoys shouting like a pirate, and leaning left and right when Dora rides on a dog sled.

Stella to Earth
Stella to Earth
by Simon Puttock

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book!, 15 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Stella to Earth (Paperback)
This is a simple story about a girl who imagines herself exploring in outer space when she should be getting into bed. My 3 year old daughter loves it, and frequently asks for it to be read to her. She has even started saying "check" instead of "yes". I love it because it is a good alternative to the princess stuff that my daughter also likes.

Are You There, Baby Bear? (Alfie Bear) (Little Tiger Press)
Are You There, Baby Bear? (Alfie Bear) (Little Tiger Press)
by Catherine Walters

4.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous picture book, 13 Sept. 2008
This is a lovely book about a little bear who goes out to search for his new baby brother or sister. The illustrations are beautiful, depicting a variety of animals including the more unusual (a beaver, a bison and a mountain lion) and the more recognisable (ducks, an owl and a squirrel). There is plenty to talk about and keep little ones entertained. Probably suitable for ages 2+.

The River
The River
by Tricia Wastvedt

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing read, 24 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The River (Paperback)
I loved this book! I could picture the quiet Devon village and its different characters so clearly, and I didn't want to put the book down. It was a poignant and very enjoyable read.