Profile for Mighty Malc > Reviews

Silicone Grease 50G
Silicone Grease 50G
Offered by imustbuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Regrease o-ring on Track Pump, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Silicone Grease 50G (Electronics)
A little of this goes a very long way. Seemed to Improve my stiff track pump and cheaper than finding a replacewment o-ring.

Original SXP Cellphone case for Samsung B2710 Extreme in design carbon gray
Original SXP Cellphone case for Samsung B2710 Extreme in design carbon gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid Case, 11 Aug 2013
I wanted something that would protect the screen (without a screen protector) and give some extra protection, particularly in my cycling saddle bag.

Case is very solid and has robust zip that should last.

I would guess probably a bit bulky (width is more than needed) for most people, but I am very happy.

The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression (Photographic Arts Editions)
by Bruce Barnbaum

5.0 out of 5 stars An author with a passion, 1 Aug 2012
I love this book. Every page breathes a passion for photography. The technical knowledge demonstrated is immense and shows he has been there. But in addition to the pure technical expertise, the author shows a deep reflective approach to creating an image that communicates what the photographer really intended. For intance, he pointed out one of my common faults in always achieving high contrast in an image, which then negates the peaceful mood I really wanted.

I get the impression this book was originally written just for black and white photography, then later updated with sections on colour photography. It still feels like 95% of thje book is based on black and white. Until I read this book I considered colour as the only way to go because the real world is in colour. But it opened my eyes to why black and white is still important and motivated me to try converting my colour images properly to black and white. I think even a dedicated colour photographer can gain from this book because of the quality of the material presented.

The front cover image gives an idea of who will enjoy this book. If you enjoy the black and white image presented and wish you could create such a compelling image yourself, then you will enjoy the book. But if the image does not move you then you may not.

The book includes a section with very detailed coverage of dark room development for specific films to get the most from a negative. As a digital photographer, this was wasted on me. But the book is so large and has so much other useful content that a few pages to be skipped did not bother me.

I probably have 70 or 80 photography books. I would consider this right near the top in terms of the help it has given me, and with something that none of my other books have. Several books are a light read and I may not come back to them because the points made are 'obvious'. This book requires more concentration and I will still get more from it when I re-read it. Excellent.