Profile for M. A. Lidis > Reviews

Content by M. A. Lidis

M. A. Lidis "theboylidis" (London, England)

Inspiral Carpets
Inspiral Carpets

1.0 out of 5 stars Erm..why?, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Inspiral Carpets (Audio CD)
Completely loved the Inspirals growing up although I got into their last two albums before the first (had Revenge Of The Goldfish and Devil Hopping on a c90 I nearly wore out). This record seems quite lifeless to me. Something of the appeal of the Inspiral Carpets was that they seemed to know they were a little tiny bit s***. Which made them brilliant. That self knowledge apparently has disappeared with age resulting in an album of odd, disjointed songs which sounds like a bansdof 50-somethings making a demo.

A bizarre twist in an odd but previously enjoyable career.

The star is for the chorus of Spitfire which is a very brief glimpse into how the rest of the album would have sounded had it been worthwhile.

Trouble Will Find Me
Trouble Will Find Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy to be fed up, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Trouble Will Find Me (Audio CD)
Alligator was the first record I heard by The National. A blinding album it is too. It hit me in a way no album had since my teens (then 27 now 33).

Whomever said "There should be no artists only their work" alive or dead would be a National fan.

This is music to be absorbed on good headphones, alone.

Intelligent, maladjusted people are let down by pop. The Smiths recorded angst and melancholy, The Wedding Present recorded a broken heart and, in my experience, The National are the only band to accurately represent depression. And I love them for it.

Amazing record.

Lonely Planet Europe on a shoestring (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Europe on a shoestring (Travel Guide)
by Mark Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but massive., 24 April 2012
46 countries, 1338 pages - for a tenner it's a bargain. An absolutely essential and reassuring companion if you're planning a big trip around Europe. You might be better off with the more specific country/region books Lonely Planet do if you're planning something shorter - a cancelled bus meant I ended up in Podgorice in Montenegro and there was sod all in the way of help. Saying that, it's hard to see how this book could be bettered when you consider the amount of countries it covers for its size and price.

Personally I find Lonely Planet books brilliant for cultural nouse, history and the best things to do/see but, from experience, a lot of hostels and restaurants tend to hike their prices up when they find out they've been added to it. So, have a look at the hostelworld.com reviews for places to stay and ask the locals for the best places to eat and you'll do well.

So - brillaint for sights, maps, directions, cultural background and the history of the countries you'll visit, sound for transport info (can sometimes be a bit vague with areas to catch buses and always check the train/bus times locally as they're always changing). Shop around for accomodation and places to eat.

Oh and there's a brief yes/no/hello/goodbye/please/thank you/I don't understand/where are the toilets? phrasebook at the back that I nearly missed.

Laid
Laid
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, in places, 21 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Laid (Audio CD)
Not to disagree with the rest of the reviewers on here - this is a fantastic record and in my top ten. Maybe top five. I bought it on (far too quiet) tape when I was (nearly) 14. I listen to it every winter. This may seem empty, considering this album came out nearly 20 years ago, but I am confused to see people reviewing this album as one that is 'perfect for a Sunday afternoon' or 'getting over a hangover' This is a dark, very dark album. The lyrics here deal with the loss of a sense of self as an adult when faced with loneliness, doubting the loving connection between two people, the pressures of coming to terms with the expectations of adult life, mental illness, failed communication, the despair of monogamy.... that's the first side.

Maybe people don't listen to lyrics, but this has opened my mind, repeatedly for 18 years.

Oh and yeah, if they (and 'Eno Collaboration') had had the sense to leave out Low Low Low, this would be one of those rare un-skippable albums.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 12:10 AM GMT

Rayman Origins (PS3)
Rayman Origins (PS3)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy purist, 18 Dec. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Simple, beautiful, fun, engaging and memorable. All adjectives which as as 12 year old I would've used to describe Sonic the Hedgehog, Alex Kidd In Miracle World and Super Mario 3 - if I'd been cleverer.

20 years on those words are seldom appropriate for modern video (computer) games. Thankfully, they are perfect here. I don't play games to experience the thrill of shooting innocent human beings, I play them to escape to a world where my imagination has a chance to breathe. Maybe kids are smirking as they kill someone from distance in Call Of Duty, but the smile on my face playing this game is born from the joy of playing a game that reminds me why I fell in love with them in the first place.

It's not the new punk. It's not going to change your life. It's a platform game; just a very, very good platform game.

Granted, the fact this is a 2-D platformer released in 2011 owes a lot to Little Big Planet's existence and will undoubtedly draw comparisons, but this is a purists game. Enjoy.

Miracle Inn
Miracle Inn
Offered by VECOSELL

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I've heard in ages, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Miracle Inn (Audio CD)
This album is the first Euros I've heard. It's like listening to a Gorky's album without skipping a song. And, whilst listening to it on the bus through Tottenham Hale this afternoon, I just smiled.