Profile for rachel webb > Reviews

Content by rachel webb

rachel webb (Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Lullabies to Paralyze [CD + DVD]
Lullabies to Paralyze [CD + DVD]
Offered by trec002
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best come back CD....., 3 April 2005
I have been waiting for a year for this album and it hasn't disapointed. Being a huge QOSTA fan I wasn't sure what Nicks departure would mean for the really heavy songs after listening to Josh's Desert Sessions which was much more melow in style. But all of the tracks are absolutely brilliant with catchy riffs and amazing drumming. Its is definately less heavy without Nick's screaming lyrics but there are still really excellent rock tracks to be had. Burn The Witch, Little Sister and Something's In the Wolf are my personal fave tracks.
Lullabies to Paralyze DVD edition has the added bonus of giving us a unique insight into their recording style and personalities, which we've not had chance to see before.
All in all buy this record it is definately the best record I have bought in 04/05.

Ask This Old House: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Ask This Old House: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Kevin O'Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars This Old House..... questions answered?, 3 April 2005
I bought these discs as This Old House decided not to release any episodes of the programmes due to poor response from viewers. This is the next best thing should you need a fix of the programme as it is only viewable on Sky at bizarre times now.
The cast (without Norm) cover problems sent in from viewers, I found the stuff with Tommy really interesting but the plumbing stuff a little dull but informative. The gardening section is informative too but mainly focuses on maintaining garden tools and not too much on landscaping issues. There are house calls featured in each programme and these are the most interesting part and most like the This Old House programme. Steve takes you through all this with his American slightly cheesy presenting style which is quite amusing for us Brits.
Overall its the next best thing to watching the episodes but unless you are really enthused about this programme I think I'd settle for watching the This Old House episodes.
Also don't forget these are region 1 only.

Alice Walker: Author of "The Color Purple" (People to Know)
Alice Walker: Author of "The Color Purple" (People to Know)
by Barbara Kramer
Edition: Library Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Nov 2002
I read this book some years ago, yet can still remember the story as if I read it yesterday. The story, set in the deep south is an inspiring tale written in the form of letters. The books describes the experiences of a black girl who has everything from a young age taken away or destroyed and is left with no faith in life, until she meets a singer who is the opposite of her. I was strangely compelled to find out whether she ever fights against the oppression of men and white society, and was deeply affected by the tale that I still remember it ten years later.
If you have seen the film version of this book I would still advise reading it as it is Walkers best book to date and should be considered a classic.