Profile for The Fan > Reviews

The Fan

Eco Steam Master Steam Cleaner with Extra Pads as seen on PITCH TV
Eco Steam Master Steam Cleaner with Extra Pads as seen on PITCH TV

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, 16 Jan 2011
I was on holiday at Christmas, and was flicking through the TV channels when I saw the infomercial for the Eco Steam Master. I'm usually really sceptical when I see these glorified adverts, and how the products always look so compelling. I don't think I'm gullible either, but at the time I'd been thinking about hiring a carpet cleaner for a weekend, wondering how to get rid of some of the dirt build-up in my shower, and any number of other jobs around the house. So I felt the steamer could possibly solve a few cleaning concerns in one go!

So I took the plunge and ordered this product. First impressions were good. It arrived quickly, and despite having been worried about how strong the steamer would be, when I opened the box I was pretty impressed at the quality. You can tell a fair bit of work went in to the design, and the items seem strong and well-constructed. Like the first review my main critique is the short powercord. I did the same thing and used an extension cord.

The first thing I did after opening the box and going through all the attachments, was to use the handheld part with the jet fitting to steam around the taps and plugholes in my bathroom sinks. It's similar to using a dustbuster (handheld vacuum). Pretty good results, with a better finish when you use a sponge in the other hand at the same time. The steam loosens the dirt and a bit of light scrubbing helps get things right. I did the same in the shower cubicle and managed to clean under the sliding door pretty well.

Then I used the full length steamer just like a vacuum cleaner. I tried one of the cloths first to do the small carpet in the downstairs loo. There was some dirt from people's shoe prints, as it's the cloakroom inside the front door. After a good steaming, with the small room quickly turning in to a sauna, I noticed that the carpet had noticeably changed colour for the better, and the cloth on the steamer was black with dirt! I removed it and then decided to go for the stiff brush fitting to work on the carpet again. Even better! It fluffed up the tired carpet while pulling out more dirt. I took it upstairs to my faded-looking bathroom where there is still carpet (why??) from the previous owners. This really worked wonders. I steamed the carpet with the stiff brush and I can compare the results to when you use a hairbrush on your head and then have to use your fingers to pull the hair off the brush. I couldn't believe how much the steamer was picking up, and again the colour really improved in the carpet.

Everything about the steamer seems great (so far!) apart from the power cord, as mentioned, and I think it's easy to use. You open the water compartment and top it up (regularly!) just like when you put water in a steam iron. When I was finished, I took it apart and easily washed the dirty parts. If you own a juicer or steam cooker in your kitchen, cleaning the parts of this Eco Steamer are similar to them.

I just hope the product can last ongoing usage just like my vacuum that I've had for 5 years. Speaking of which, I think the best results for this steamer would be if you vacuumed your carpets first to pick up the dust, hair and fluff, and that the steamer will release the dirt you can't see, or maybe even stains. I'm also conscious that having not made much effort to clean my carpets for several years, this machine is just a steam cleaner rather than a high powered chemical cleaner, so will really get good results after a few usages. Clearly you can't use it once and expect anything you steam to look as good as new.

I am going to try doing the stairs and lounge (more mat carpets), more around the shower door that are hard to scrub, a lino kitchen floor, and with all the attachments, I might experiment with a few other things that could use a blast of steam! The instructions aren't very long, but if you read them carefully you can just about figure out all the uses for the various things in the box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2011 7:51 AM GMT

Cradle Will Rock [DVD]
Cradle Will Rock [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hank Azaria

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 2 July 2008
This review is from: Cradle Will Rock [DVD] (DVD)
When Tim Robbins made "Cradle Will Rock" in 1999 it was on the back of his Oscar-nominated "Dead Man Walking" four years earlier. All the signs were good - America in the 1930s, a fantastic cast .... so why is this film so awful? It was one of the more highly anticipated releases but I remember cringing again and again while sitting in the cinema. Nothing works and none of the headline stars (Hank Azaria, John Cusack, Susan Sarandon, Angus Macfadyen, Vanessa Redgrave, Bill Murray, John Turturro, Emily Watson) come out of this movie looking good. Only notable theatre actress, Cherry Jones, looks like she believes in what she's doing. It's no accident that Robbins hasn't directed a major feature film since. Stick to acting!

Revenge Songs
Revenge Songs
Offered by rbmbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing voice ..... see him live!, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Revenge Songs (Audio CD)
I am a new fan of Jacob Golden having seen him play live in support of the wonderful Catherine Feeny. With acoustic guitar, powerful emotion in his voice, and beautiful songs, I highly recommend his music. Buy this album and find out where Jacob's playing live. I don't remember the last time a vocalist made my spine tingle. Great stuff!