Profile for Katrina-UK > Reviews

Content by Katrina-UK

Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Parental Guidance [DVD]
Parental Guidance [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy Crystal

4.0 out of 5 stars Great To See Billy Crystal and Bette Midler Back!!, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Parental Guidance [DVD] (DVD)
There are very few comedies on at the cinema these days so it was great to see Billy Crystal and Bette Midler (brilliant comic actor & actress) back on the big screen again after what seems like far too long a time. And what a great, cute and funny on-screen couple they make!! The audience were in stitches laughing at this laugh a minute comedy which isn't rude or crude like many of the comedies are these days. It's a feel good family comedy, about this ultra modern family and their mollycoddled kids who want some 'alone' time away from the kids by going away on a break. The only way they're going to be able to do that is by bringing in the grandparents which they're not happy about. Cue Crystal and Midler' characters (Artie and Diane) who are quite the opposite of the ultra modern family. Poor Artie has been sacked from his baseball commentary job for being 'out of touch' with the internet generation, so when Artie and Diane see their daughter, son in law and grandchildren for the first time in ages they're in for a shock on how society has changed. However both Artie and Diane are determined to make it work to prove they make the best grandparents, and both parties end up learning a lot about each other... Suitable for all ages (U), if you want a laugh, see this!

Kodak ESP 1.2 All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan)
Kodak ESP 1.2 All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan)

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality Photo Print Outs, 15 Jan 2013
What do you think of when you think of the brand 'Kodak'? Excellent quality print-outs perhaps? Well forget it. I ended up taking this printer straight back to the well known high street shop I bought it from feeling very disappointed. The quality of my photos were 10 mega pixels, so it certainly wasn't my photos to blame. The printer printed them out grainy and with lines through, Absolutely appalling, especially for Kodak. The only reason why I gave this review 2 stars instead of 1 is because when you do black and white printer outs off Microsoft Word, it printed it quite quickly for a cheap printer. I have since bought the Epson XP-405 which I am a lot happier with. Sure the genuine ink cartridges are more expensive, but you can buy the compatable cartridges for cheaper, and it prints my photos perfectly.

Epson Expression Home XP-202 Wi-Fi Small-in-One Printer
Epson Expression Home XP-202 Wi-Fi Small-in-One Printer
Offered by EPrinters-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Line Of Cheap Printers. Epson Should Withdraw Them Off Shelves., 15 Jan 2013
I bought this printer from a well known high street computer retailer. All I wanted was a basic printer that could print copy and scan and that could print good quality photos and was compatable with both my Mac and PC. It didn't matter to me how quickly it printed (as it was quite slow), as long as what it printed was good quality. Initially this printer lived up to my expectations, I was quite pleased. The only negative thing was it was supposed to be wireless (which it was) but when not used for more than 5 mins it would switch itself off automatically so when I wanted to print from a different room in the house wirelessly, I would have to go downstairs where the printer was to switch it on again which seemed to defeat the purpose of it being wireless! If a printer is switched on, it should stay on until I decide to switch it off.

Anyway little did I know there was worse to come....After the free cartridges that you get with the printer ran out I bought Genuine Epson Cartridges from the same store where I bought the printer from. The printer did not recognise the cartridges. It just kept coming up with one error message after another. After spending over an hour online with an Epson customer service representative, they confirmed the printer and not the cartridges were faulty and said I would have to take it to my nearest Epson repair centre. My nearest Epson repair centre wasn't 'near' at all, so I decided to take it straight back to the shop I had bought it from and they gave me a full refund. It is only since I have looked on Amazon I can see other people have had the same problem as me with it not recognising the ink cartridges. I have now been forced to buy a more expensive model of printer, so I went for the Epson XP 405 and so far so good. The printer's wireless facility stays on all the time and doesn't switch itself off when unused. What is also good about this printer is that it supports AirPrint so I can print directly wirelessly off my iPad Mini. I've also not had any problems printing wirelessly from either my PC or my Mac.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 2:40 PM GMT

The World According to Joan
The World According to Joan
by Joan Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Appeal To Women Of All Ages, 28 Dec 2012
Great book, one of the best I've read in ages. Joan's personality comes out in this book as she gives her opinion on all things in today's society and how things have changed over the years. There is a lot of humour in the book. One of her quips that springs to mind "My grandmother paid to take my mother to the circus to see the fat lady and the tattooed man, but now you can see them for free whether you want to or not - they're all over the place"). I especially enjoyed Joan talking about the glamorous golden age of film and she mentions those from that era whom she socialised with, or bumped into at the bar (ie Marilyn Monroe who gave Joan some worldly advice). All in all a thoroughly enjoyable read. I just wish it had been longer!

Christmas Snow (DVD)
Christmas Snow (DVD)
Dvd ~ Muse Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Better Christmas Films, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Christmas Snow (DVD) (DVD)
Without giving too much away, this is a heartfelt story about how a Christmas Scrooge business lady is forced into circumstances beyond her control when due to being snowed in and the power out, is forced to spend Christmas with her boyfriend's precocious 10yr old daughter and a stranger who saved her life.

This is definitely one of the better Christmas films I've seen (and I've seen a lot), but prepare to have the tissues ready (sad but happy at the same time), as I can guarantee you will be crying by the end!

Apple iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi (White)
Apple iPad Mini 16GB Wi-Fi (White)
Offered by Digitalab

5.0 out of 5 stars A Short And Sweet Review, 21 Nov 2012
I've been waiting a long time for the iPad Mini to be released and now it has finally come I'm not disappointed. I've had it for the last couple of weeks and I can honestly say this is a top quality product as expected from Apple. I've tried other 7.9" Android tablet devices but as far as I am concerned this little mini device is superior to them all. I've been using this device more than my laptop round the house and when I'm out and about. Sure sometimes I wish I had gone for the cellular one (so I could access the internet when I'm not in a wi-fi zone), but I would have had to pay quite a bit more for it.

As far as I'm concerned I prefer the iPad Mini to the iPad simply because it's more compact, easier to carry around, and lighter to hold for long periods. The pixel quality is fantastic for watching films or tv programmes (BBC iPlayer, ITVPlayer, 4oD, 5 on Demand and many more are all free to download off the app store), or visit iTunes if you want to pay to rent or buy a more recent film. Of course it doesn't have retina display like the iPad, however for those of us who have never owned a tablet before and don't have an iPhone so know no different, I'm incredibly impressed with picture quality. Anyway roll on next year when I am pretty certain Apple will release a new iPad Mini with retina display.

And if you have any problems you simply visit Apple online and go to the communities section to get help and advice, or book an appointment with an Apple Genius at your nearest Apple Store.

A word of advice - check out the Apple Store UK for iPad Mini's price before purchasing off Amazon. As the iPad Mini has only just been released, Amazon seem to have hiked the price up a bit.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2013 9:39 PM GMT

Dreamboats and Petticoats - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Dreamboats and Petticoats - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dreamboats And Petticoats Christmas, 13 Nov 2012
A great selection of 'vintage' Christmas songs. Personal favourites are Elvis & The Jordanaires 'Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me)', Beach Boys 'Little Saint Nick', Dickie Valentine 'Christmas Alphabet' and Brenda Lee' 'Rockin Around The Christmas Tree'.

The Slope of Kongwa Hill: A Boy's Tale of Africa
The Slope of Kongwa Hill: A Boy's Tale of Africa
by Anthony R. Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Deserves To Be As Successful as Harry Potter. Excellent For All Ages., 8 Nov 2012
As the daughter of a Kongwa pupil (Caddy - Who has also written a review), I was very interested in this book so I could learn more about the different areas of Tanganyika (now Tanzania) my mum has often talked about.....but mainly to see what they all got up to!! I can honestly say this is the best book I have read in a long time - equally as good as the Harry Potter books or Roald Dahl' 'Boy' which I read as a child. There are so many similarities between this book and the Harry Potter books it's uncanny (except this book is obviously autobiographical and not fictional). Instead of being based in a British boarding school, this autobiographical book is based in the 1950's about a boarding secondary school in the middle of the bush in Africa, where expats from around the world often sent their children to be educated. And yes, most of them have to get the train to school (The Kongwa Express... Not The Hogwarts Express!) where all the adventures begin...

Although the author is a few years older than my mum and Edwards name wasn't recognised, there were still a lot of other names in the book I did recognise (which made it ever more interesting to read), as they were often mentioned in conversations between my parents and their friends. I suppose it was a different time - the close knit community over there all knew each other. People seemed a lot more friendly and approachable than people nowadays.

There is a lot of humour in this book, as well as heartache, drama, excitement and many adventures and courageous stories to be shared. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ALL AGES! My only lasting thought is it would have been good if one of the Kongwa ladies published a book about the Kongwa school from the girl's perspective but no one has, as yet...

Life and Laughing: My Story
Life and Laughing: My Story
by Michael McIntyre
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars BESTEST EVER BRITISH COMEDIAN.....LIKE EVER!, 27 Aug 2012
One of the best (and funniest) autobiographies I've ever read, but this one I didn't have to read, because Michael McIntyre read it for me! (courtesy of the Audio CD!) And what a difference it made. I would recommend the audiobook wholeheartedly over reading the book yourself, as Michael put's all his character and expression into reading his autobiography making it even more funny than reading it for yourself. I have listened to other comedian's and actors audiobooks and not naming any names, the way they read their own story is a tad disappointing. Definitely not this one! Not only would I give the autobiography 5*, but also 5* goes to Michael McIntyre for reading his own story so well so that we felt we were living his experiences with him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 10:21 AM BST

Last Night on Earth
Last Night on Earth
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting Pop/Folk Anthem Music By One Of The Greatest Bands Of The Moment!, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Last Night on Earth (Audio CD)
Noah & The Whale are definitely one of my favourite bands. Bought 'Last Night On Earth' when it first came out last year. It's one of those albums that you always come back to because it's that good. The whole album has an 80's feel to it, infact it reminds me of music by the band Simple Minds that was in the 80's film 'The Breakfast Club'! As I was a child in the 80's, I do have a soft spot for music from (or sounds like it's from) that decade!

Watched Noah & The Whale on TV last year at Glastonbury and they stole the whole festival as far as I'm concerned. They were absolutely brilliant live.

If there's one album that I can guarantee you will have on re-play, and will also want to hear it in years to come, it's definitely this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17