Profile for Katrina-UK > Reviews

Content by Katrina-UK

Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Broken Sword (Wii)
Broken Sword (Wii)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Adventure Game For Adults. Too Difficult For Kids., 19 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Broken Sword (Wii) (Video Game)
As a fan of films such as Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons etc, I decided to buy this game for myself and I've got to say, I love it! Set in France, you play the part of the French lady detective (and journalist), with a sense of humour of course. The opening cartoon style scene starts off in a media magnate's family home, as he wants to meet you. You don't know why, but as a journalist you are always eager to find the next story. He welcomes you to his home, and hears something smash in the next room. He leaves you with his wife (who is very bitter about her husband because she knows he is a womaniser), whilst he goes to investigate. You suddenly hear a gun shot and run into the next room, to find him dead. The investigation starts, and as you progress your case (visiting different locations in the process), you interview people, find clues, de-crpyt messages etc. You realise that what started as a simple murder, is actually a much deeper ancient conspiracy. I'm only about a quarter of the way through the game at the moment, so who knows where its going to take me!

Some of the tasks you have to carry out to get to the next stage were incredibly difficult to figure out (even with all the clues it would give you!) and at times it does get incredibly frustrating. But once you've cracked one code, it does get easier as you go along, and you really get addicted to the game because new things start to happen, and there are more people to speak to, and different locations to visit. Its a real adventure game! I think its far too difficult for kids, and would probably recommend it only to adults or teenagers.

*UPDATE*
Just completed Broken Sword. Shadow Of The Templars. WOW - WHAT AN ADVENTURE! LOVED IT!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 10:24 AM BST

Angels and Demons (Extended Cut) [Blu-ray] [2009]
Angels and Demons (Extended Cut) [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 15 May 2009
I've just come back from the cinema where I watched the 'Digitally Enhanced' version of Angels And Demons. Wow, is my first reaction - quite literally! I was glued from the word go, probably because my interest of current affairs, and action and adventure entwined. I found it fascinating that the story was centred around not only the Catholic Church and the secret society 'Illuminati'. But also the Big Bang experiment which as you may recall (in real life), scientists started the experiment with the Hadron Collider at the end of last year, until things started to go wrong and they had to postpone it. This film again brings to the forefront the age old question of Religion V Science.

Without giving too much away, this is the synopis of the film as shown on the IDBM website. 'When Langdon discovers evidence of the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati - the most powerful underground organization in history - he also faces a deadly threat to the existence of the secret organization's most despised enemy: the Catholic Church. When Langdon learns that the clock is ticking on an unstoppable Illuminati time bomb, he jets to Rome, where he joins forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and enigmatic Italian scientist. Embarking on a nonstop, action-packed hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and even to the heart of the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra will follow a 400-year-old trail of ancient symbols that mark the Vatican's only hope for survival'.

The acting was superb. I was especially impressed by Ewan McGregor as Camerlengo Patrick McKenna.

I enjoyed this film even more than the Da Vinci Code. I thought there was a lot more to it, and it was a lot more realistic. There was also more action and adventure, and a lot more suspense! The twist towards the end was brilliant. I think this film definitely did what it set out to do - get people talking!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2009 4:19 PM GMT

Angels and Demons [DVD] [2009]
Angels and Demons [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 15 May 2009

Without giving too much away, this is the synopsis of the film as shown on the IDBM website. 'When Langdon discovers evidence of the resurgence of an ancient secret brotherhood known as the Illuminati - the most powerful underground organization in history - he also faces a deadly threat to the existence of the secret organization's most despised enemy: the Catholic Church. When Langdon learns that the clock is ticking on an unstoppable Illuminati time bomb, he jets to Rome, where he joins forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and enigmatic Italian scientist. Embarking on a nonstop, action-packed hunt through sealed crypts, dangerous catacombs, deserted cathedrals, and even to the heart of the most secretive vault on earth, Langdon and Vetra will follow a 400-year-old trail of ancient symbols that mark the Vatican's only hope for survival'.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2009 11:38 AM BST

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!

3.0 out of 5 stars Preferred Wii Sports, 8 May 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I rented this, and didn't buy it thank goodness. I personally think Wii Sports is a lot better than Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games. I think kids will probably enjoy this game more than adults because of all the characters from previous Mario & Sonic games, but I found this game was more to do with pressing the correct buttons at the right time, rather than just interactively playing the sport.

You have a choice out of different sports and circuits such as swimming, trampolining, long jump, archery, clay shooting, table tennis, rowing. Although be aware, like I said before, its more to do with pressing the correct buttons as fast as you can rather than playing the sport. To give you an example. Rowing - Instead of just rowing with the proper actions to win the race, you were presented with button combinations you had to press as fast as you could (e.g. A+B, B+Z etc) to make you go faster (aswell as moving the nunchuck & controller backwards and forwards). Also I didn't find the table tennis very accurate in sensing your movements. For instance if a ball was heading towards the left and you needed to do back hand to hit it, you could just bat normally and you would still hit the ball!) I found the Wii Sports much more sensitive in sensing your movements, and was much more accurate and life like.

Personally I prefered Wii Sports as you actually play the sport like you would do out in the real world - tennis, golf, baseball, boxing, tenpin bowling.

Wii Fit (Wii)
Wii Fit (Wii)
Offered by JSP online

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Yourself Money On A Gym Membership, 23 April 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
Got this ten days ago, and so far I've been very impressed. One of the best inventions of the 21st century so far, I reckon. I love its futuristic vibe whilst its loading, and the way you can keep an eye on your weight and your BMI. I also like the way it improves with you. It will start off at beginner level, and as you progress it will get harder and harder, and new activities open up to you. I usually get bored easily with things, but I've not got bored with this yet.

The only negative, is I can't see how people with big feet could fit on the balance board. I've got size 8 feet and I thought to myself anyone with size 10 feet or bigger will struggle to fit their whole foot (length wise) on the balance board without their toes hanging off the end! I don't know if, or how that would affect your results. So my only thing about it is they could have made the balance board a bit bigger.

Wild Young Hearts
Wild Young Hearts
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call Music!!, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Wild Young Hearts (Audio CD)
Absolutely awesome album! The lead singer has an amazing voice, and their songs are fantastic. For some reason, I can't help but think they need to get this girl to do the lead song for the next James Bond soundtrack. She's got the voice to do it.

As I'm a sucker for 50's/60's/70's music, my two favourite songs have got to be 'Wild Young Hearts' and 'Never Forget You' which are simply outstanding coming from a band in the 21st century, and songs I reckon will be remembered in years to come.

A MUST BUY!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2009 7:28 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Captures The Essence of The Era Perfectly, 4 April 2009
Absolutely loved this film from beginning to end. It captures the essence of that era perfectly, and it is a film I could watch again and again. The whole cast's acting was superb throughout. My biggest surprise came from Rhys Ifans who portrayed the sex god DJ Gavin fantastically. What a sexy voice for the radio - shame I can't mention one DJ on air at the moment who sounds the same...!

Unfortunately, I myself, was born in 1979, so wasn't around in that decade. However I took my mum to see this film as she was 21yrs old in 1966. She remembers listening to the pirate radio station in the middle of the North Sea, and remembers all the political controversy surrounding it. She thought it was a great film too.

If you appreciate the best music of all time, proper rock n roll from the 60's/70's, then you will love this film. It's a real feel good movie that you will appreciate if you ever wished you had lived through that era, or you were lucky enough to experience it first hand.

Marley & Me [DVD]
Marley & Me [DVD]
Dvd ~ Owen Wilson
Offered by DVDBayFBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Hugely Disappointing. The Book Was So Much Better, 13 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Marley & Me [DVD] (DVD)
A hyped up movie, which is a let down when you see it. if you've seen the trailers, then you've seen all the best bits. I felt a lot of it was edited out to fit within the film time scale (there were hardly any scenes of when Marley was a puppy for instance), and there was not enough humour in it, like there was in the book. The only funny parts were the parts advertised in the trailers, which I'd already seen.

The story begins with young newly weds Josh & Jen Grogan who are just starting their married life together. Jen has a step by step plan to their lives, you get a career, get married, you have children, and so on. Unfortunately not all goes to plan, and they end up getting a happy, but naughty puppy who they name Marley, and so the story goes....

And remember, this is the LIFE story of Marley - all the adults in the audience had tears in their eyes by the end of the film. As a result I maybe should warn you, it may upset younger children who have not yet experienced pet bereavement. On the other hand you may think this will help them, if you have elderly pets that don't have much time left.

And remember, this is the LIFE story of Marley - all the adults in the audience had tears in their eyes by the end of the film. As a result I maybe should warn you, it may upset younger children who have not yet experienced pet bereavement. On the other hand you may think this will help them.

If you want films about dogs the best ones are still K-9, K9-11, K-9 P.I, Beethoven, Beethoven's 2nd, Eight Below, Benji, For The Love Of Benji, Snow Dogs, Homeward Bound, Homeward Bound 2.

Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Young Victoria [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Emily Blunt
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Love Story, 6 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Young Victoria [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I saw this film at the cinema, and it wasn't just me saying it was a great film. I overheard everyone leaving the cinema, and everyone was saying that it was fantastic. I wouldn't consider myself a royalist (and didn't know anything about Queen Victoria), however I still thoroughly enjoyed this film of her younger years. The acting was superb, the costumes stunning and the locations superb. You also couldn't beat the fabulous music, in particular the choir rendition of 'Zadok The Priest' which gave me goosebumps.

Don't think for a second that as it is a period film there is a lot of doom and gloom, because it is quite the opposite. This is a beautiful love story, with quite a lot of humour in it. Overall as far as period drama's go, this is one of the best.

One of my favourite scenes was the ball scene where Princess Victoria and Albert have their first dance. It was a heartstopping moment to say the least, and that is when she realises just how much she likes him.

The film shows how lighthearted Victoria was in her younger years with that spring in her step, whilst at the same time pursuing her duty of becoming Queen and knowing her responsibilities. Albert also knows his responsibilities, and is initially thrust upon her, but upon their first meeting is immediately smitten. Albert has plans of how he can help people, in particular the poorer communities. When Queen Victoria's reign is dealt a blow due to her over-reliance and flirtations with Prime Minister Melbourne (and as a result every person in the street is threatening her safety), Prince Albert saves the monarchy and Queen Victoria proposes. They become the perfect partnership, helping each other, and sharing the same vision by helping those less fortunate.

Highly Recommended.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [DVD]
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quirky Comedy With A Stiff Upper Lip, 14 Feb. 2009
I've just seen this film at the cinema and I enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't say it was fantastic, but it certainly wasn't useless either - somewhere in the middle. If you have enjoyed films such as 'The Truth About Being Earnest', you'll love this. Full of romance, comedy, and drama. You'll be laughing one minute, and feel like crying the next.

Set in 1940's Britain fastly approaching war, it follows the story of Miss Pettigrew, a middle age governess who once again has unfairly been sacked from her job. Unemployed and penniless she decides there is no other option but to seize the day, and finds herself working as social secretary to an aspiring young actress known as Delysia Lafosse. Well outside her comfort zone Miss Pettigrew is catapulted into the glamorous and social world-wind of high society. Taking her role to heart, the film is all about Miss Pettigrew trying to help and navigate Delysia's love life and career, by having learned from her own experiences. What she doesn't realise though, is that Delysia is also helping her...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2010 7:46 AM BST