Profile for Katrina-UK > Reviews

Content by Katrina-UK

Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Me and Orson Welles [DVD]
Me and Orson Welles [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zac Efron

4.0 out of 5 stars Me And Orson Welles, 27 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Me and Orson Welles [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this at the cinema at the end of last year. Wrote a review (which Amazon have lost), so am now having to write another one! Yes its worth writing about... Let me start by being honest and saying if you're not really that interested in the theatre then you most probably will find this film boring. However if you are interested in the theatre or have tread the boards like myself, then you will probably thoroughly enjoy this. There is quite a bit of humour in this film, and it is definitely one I could watch again.

The story is based on Welles' earlier career when he directed in the theatre (prior to going to film). The year is 1937 and Welles is in the early stages of directing the Mercury Players in the production of Julius Caesar. A 17yr old high school kid (Zac Efron) chases an opportunity of a lifetime to make it as an actor by work with Welles in his performance at the Mercury Theatre. The rehearsals are not exactly going smoothly (technical hitches, hissy fits etc!) Along the way, the young man finds his first love - the Directors P.A (played by Claire Danes). Unfortunately for him, there is a more mature man on the scene, who always gets his way...

I studied Welles' career years ago at college and was so impressed with Christian McKay's 'first major role' performance as Orson Welles - he played him just as I imagined him to be! He even looked like him! (Although he was nominated, I was hugely disappointed that he didn't win a BAFTA - he deserved it!, and where was the Oscar nomination?!)

Zac Efron plays his character well in his first adult-oriented film role to date. Christian McKay steals the show though, and if anything, see this film for his superb acting.

Glee: The Music, Volume 2
Glee: The Music, Volume 2
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Compilation Album, 15 Mar. 2010
Lets be honest, I don't normally like Cover Versions as they're not usually as good as the original, and usually I'd prefer to hear a new song rather than a cover version of an old song. Glee 1 and Glee 2 albums however are in a different league of Cover Versions! They are either equally as good, or in some cases better than the original!

If you want a great Up-Lifting Compilation Album then get both Glee Volume 1 and Glee Volume 2. Favourites off Glee Volume 2 are 'Lean On Me', 'Don't Rain On My Parade', 'My Life Would Suck Without You', 'Smile (Charlie Chaplin) cover', 'And I'm Telling You', 'Don't Make Me Over', 'Proud Mary', 'You're Having My Baby', 'Jump', 'Don't Stand So Close To Me/Young Girl.

Highly Recommended.

Brother
Brother
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Singing To A Different Kind Of Beat, 8 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Brother (Audio CD)
I am liking their new sound and would recommend it if you want a good chill out album. I also like the way that the other guys get to sing on the album too, as it provides a good contrast of vocals. Their best album to date is tinged with sadness, however it is a fitting tribute to Stephen who I'm sure would have been so excited and proud of their new album release. I am so glad Boyzone decided to carry on and release this album, and it definitely deserves to go to No 1.

Forever Vienna
Forever Vienna
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Spectacular, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Forever Vienna (Audio CD)
Andre Rieu and his orchestra are the type of musicians who know how to entertain an audience. As a result they captivate their audience with the wonderful music they produce. (Thanks to Strauss and other composers). I would absolutely love to see them live in concert, but in the meantime I bought this CD and DVD (in concert) for a great price on Amazon. What a bargain! The CD is enchanting to listen to, the dvd concert absolutely spectacular. Need I say more?!

The Family Jewels
The Family Jewels

4.0 out of 5 stars The Next Big Thing - Marina & The Diamonds!, 25 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Family Jewels (Audio CD)
I can just imagine this is going to be one of the big albums of 2010. A great pop album with interesting hooks and melodies. Personal favourites on the album are Shampain, Hollywood, Numb, Oh No!, I Am Not A Robot, Are You Satisfied?, Girls, Hermit The Frog.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010]
Driving Aphrodite [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Nia Vardalos
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Believe It Didn't Make It To The Cinema!, 20 Feb. 2010
Firstly I've got to say, if you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, then you'll really enjoy this, I actually prefer Driving Aphrodite. For starters, Nia's character's love interest is so much hotter in this one!, Procopi played by Alexis Georgoulis. It was John Corbett (aka Mr Big!) who played Ian Miller in the first one, whom I've never found remotely attractive.

The story is based around Nia's character Georgia who is temporarily a tour guide in Greece (until she gets the teaching job at a University which she is banking on). She meets lots of different nationalities who are on her tour, and there is one laugh after another. If you enjoyed films such as National Lampoon's European Vacation, then you'll love this!

I can't believe this film was a straight to dvd, and didn't make it to the cinemas. It deserved a lot more.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2010 9:57 AM BST

Desperate Housewives - Series 1-5 - Complete [DVD]
Desperate Housewives - Series 1-5 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Teri Hatcher

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Series Ever!, 17 Feb. 2010
Out of all the TV series I have seen over the years, this is the BEST I have EVER seen! Honestly it is fantastic. I have been a huge fan of Desperate Housewives since Season 1 Episode 1 years ago, and have never missed one episode since. I am seriously considering buying this full set of all the series, because I could watch them all again and again. Desperate Housewives contains a bit of every genre - Mystery, suspense, comedy, romance, thriller, drama etc. The story is excellent (Thanks to the fantastic scriptwriters), the characters are excellent and the acting is excellent.

If you are a latecomer to Desperate Housewives, I would definitely recommend buying the complete full series (1-5) as it will fill you in on the background of all the characters (which you need to know to fully appreciate how their characters have evolved, and what they have been through to get to where they are today).

To miss out on this series would be a travesty, so get clicking 'BUY' on Amazon!!

Nine - The Musical [DVD]
Nine - The Musical [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Think Italian, Think Filmmaking., 28 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Nine - The Musical [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this yesterday at the cinema. I've got to say I wasn't expecting much following the critics reviews (2stars), but I was pleasantly surprised. It follows the life of Guido, a middle-aged stereotypical Italian Director who has an overactive imagination and chronic insomnia whilst he is under a lot of pressure to film his latest movie.

Guido (Daniel Day Lewis) has many women in his life - his leading ladies (Claudia - Nicole Kidman, Stephanie - Kate Hudson), his leading lady mistress (Carla - Penelope Cruz), his wife (Luisa - Marion Cotillard), his confidant (Lilli - Judy Dench) as well as searching for advice from his deceased mamma (Sophia Loren).

With filmmaking success in his earlier years, but his last two films being flops, Guido is under tremendous pressure to make his latest film a hit. He has his producer in place, his cast, his crew, his wardrobe dept etc, but NO SCRIPT! Understandably he is in a desperate situation as he tries to put together a movie in his mind - turning reality into fantasy, and memories into a musical - cue the fantastic musical soundtrack this film has which is bound to sell thousands of copies.

The acting by Daniel Day Lewis as Guido and Penelope Cruz as Carla are superb. You forget completely that the role of Guido is not being played by an Italian, but by the British actor Daniel Day Lewis who has the Italian attitude and swagger down to a T. Penelope Cruz plays the ideal mistress - but I guess she's had a lot of practice... Only joking! Her acting is spot on and her dance moves and costumes fabulous.

There is a lot of 'European' humour in this, which the British audience might 'get' but the American audience less likely, so it probably won't do as well over there as it will in Europe. If you've ever watched Italian films or Italian style films you will know what I mean.

For Your Entertainment
For Your Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars MY AMERICAN IDOL WINNER!, 23 Nov. 2009
This review is from: For Your Entertainment (Audio CD)
I bought this album today (upon the day of its release). How people could possibly review this album before it had even be released I don't know.

Anyway, getting back to the album. I have long awaited Adam Lambert's album release, Adam having been my favourite to win throughout American Idol. I love his voice, and it's so versatile. The album certainly doesn't disappoint. I would describe it as a pop/rock album. Personal favourites include:-
'Music Again' (80's style!),
'Soaked' (Anthem Style Song - Can imagine it being a film soundtrack),
'Sure Fire Winners' (Pop/Rock Song with a really catchy chorus and will get you singing along!),
'Pick You Up' (Pop/Rock Opera. Has an 80's sound, and a show tune edge to it. Brilliant song and brilliant chorus. Outstanding!),
For Your Entertainment' (Catchy Pop Song),
'Whataya Want From Me?' (Has a rock edge to it, and carries the inspirational message of 'Don't Give Up'!)
'Fever' (Pop/Dance Track. Can imagine them playing this in the clubs),
'Time For Miracles' which is the 2012 Film Soundtrack (not surprisingly!)

His album cover and artwork is certainly eyecatching! (Gothic/Spaceage/Rock style). I didn't recognise him at first (looking at the front cover), until I looked at the rest of the artwork! Adam Lambert can't really be compared to anyone, as he's so individual and unique. He has his own style, and I reckon he is destined for huge success.

Definitely one of the best albums of 2009!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2010 9:15 PM BST

Sonic Boom
Sonic Boom

5.0 out of 5 stars NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL ROCK! SONIC BOOOOOM!, 11 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Sonic Boom (Audio CD)
Absolutely lovin this! YEAH! You're in the palm of their hands after just the first listen. Great hooks, great lyrics. What more can I say?! BUY IT!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17