Profile for D. Thomson > Reviews

Content by D. Thomson

D. Thomson (Herts, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Criminally Insane
Criminally Insane

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Criminally Insane (Kindle Edition)
Well, Conrad, that's not one for the squeamish! And how on earth a former McDonalds senior executive came up with some of the most gut wrenching methods of torture I've ever come across, I really can't imagine. Think claw hammer and sulphuric acid and you're on the right road.
But this is Conrad Jones back to what he does best...telling a damn good and exciting story. After his brief flirtation with fantasy horror, it's thankfully back to business as usual as Detective Superintendent Alec Ramsay comes up, once again, against Jack Howarth, the Child Taker. (See previous book of that name)
Plenty of thrills, a cleverly constructed plot set against the backdrop of Liverpool's underworld, and all the aforementioned and very graphically described torture, make for a real page turner. There's even a 'guest appearance' by my favourite Conrad Jones character, 'Tank' Tankersley (time for some more Tank stories Conrad!)
This is a very dark, very brutal crime thriller, but a damn good read and one which any fans of the genre will most definitely enjoy.
If you've not read any of Conrad's stuff before, I can heartily recommend them, and this one is up there with the best of them.
Not to be missed and a snip at the price.

A Child for the Devil (Hunting Angels Diaries Horror Thriller Series Book 1)
A Child for the Devil (Hunting Angels Diaries Horror Thriller Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars No more of this stuff please Conrad...., 8 Jan. 2013
Oh dear Conrad...whatever possessed you to write such a story as this.
The book is told in the literal first person ie the author himself, named, and with his correct background. It's full of irrelevant descriptive stuff..I do at least know a lot more now about the workings of McDonalds..and long passages, running to many pages, debating the pros and cons of satanism. There is loads of very gory violence, and, almost inevitably, a gratuitously descriptive sex scene.
I have read every book Conrad has published and I was determined not to quit on this one, but I confess I did 'speed read' large chunks of it and breathed a huge sigh of relief when I got to the end.
Maybe the author will find some new, clearly weird readers with this style of story. I fear, however, there is a danger that he'll alienate a large number of readers who have followed the adventures of Tank Tankersley with such enjoyment.
Please get back to the sensible stuff Conrad...that is, assuming your're not in custody by now for Lord knows how many bloody murders, or that the Devil hasn't caught up with you with fatal consequences!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 3:04 PM GMT

You Only Die Twice
You Only Die Twice

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but not his best, 27 Dec. 2012
Firstly, let me declare myself to be a massive fan of Christopher Smith. I've read every book he's published and thoroughly enjoyed them, from the Fifth Avenue series to the very different Bullied series.
This book is different again, and you have to applaud the author for not sticking simply to proven successful themes and storylines. But for me, this one slightly missed the mark. The basic plot has been covered before by other writers both in book and in film and most folk will guess very early in the story what the outcome is going to be. The actual action in the book is relatively limited and the book focuses on lots of very well written atmospheric descriptive passages.
Having given the negatives, can I now say that this is a superbly written book. The descriptive passages paint a wonderful picture and really draw the reader in to what the characters are going through. There are some very imaginative elements within the narrative, and some passages are certainly not for the faint hearted.
But all in all, this is an excellent thriller and one which everyone who enjoys the genre will enjoy and appreciate.
It didn't quite earn the fifth star for me, but I suppose I rated it in the context of Chris Smith's previous books. Had this been my first experience of the author, I might well have given it 5 stars.

Safe House
Safe House

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 25 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. It's a tense, superbly crafter thriller with loads of twists and turns in the plot. Set on the Isle of Man, the location is an added bonus to anyone who knows the island. The Sefton Hotel, where I used to stay as a very young sales rep many many years ago, features strongly..I'm delighted to see it's still going strong. Many happy memories!
But enough of reminiscing. Well drawn characters, a very plausible plot and bucketloads of thrills and excitement...what more could any fan of the genre wish for. I really hope Chris Ewan produces more stories of this type.
And at 20p...well, it's pretty ridiculous really! It's worth 20 times that and more. Don't miss it.

The Sex Club (The Detective Jackson Mystery/Thriller Series Book 1)
The Sex Club (The Detective Jackson Mystery/Thriller Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Sept. 2012
The title might suggest that you're downloading erotica, but this is a fast moving crime thriller. Cleverly constructed story and believable characters, this is a really great read and, like other reviewers, I am now lining up more in the series.
I hadn't found this author before but I'm very glad that I did. Thoroughly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 8:23 PM GMT

Deep Down (A Jack Reacher short story) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 2)
Deep Down (A Jack Reacher short story) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Always brilliant, 6 Sept. 2012
It's Lee Child...it's Jack Reacher...need I say more. Wonderful storytelling as always and not long now to wait for the next full length Reacher story.
But, although of no relevance to this short story whatsoever, I just have to ask how on earth Lee Child approved the casting of the diminutive Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the forthcoming film? Or was the money on offer..clearly substantial..conditional upon Wee Tom playing the role? One can't help but wonder!

His Wrath is Come (Parish & Richards Book 5)
His Wrath is Come (Parish & Richards Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one., 6 Sept. 2012
I'm working my way through the Parish/Richards series and this one certainly maintains the standard of the previous ones. Sure there are annoying bits...for example, the detailed 'satnav style' descriptions of just about every journey -' he drove along the A2163, turned left onto the A421 and at the next roundabout took the second exit onto the A414 etc etc'. Richards' relationship with her boss/stepfather is somewhat strange and unrealistic, but that can be forgiven.
The story, however, is excellent and well constructed, although the finale arrives very quickly and is rather rushed through. But the secondary storyline running through this book is left open for further development and I have already downloaded number 6 in the series.
This is a series that is well worth reading and can be thoroughly recommended.

Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels/Luther Kite Thriller) (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for me, 13 Aug. 2012
This was my first time with these authors so didn't have any 'previous' to fall back on. But I have to say that I don't think my feelings about this book would have changed anyway.
The storyline takes improbability to new levels..the physical achievements of an eight and a half month pregnant woman defy belief..and the whole book seems to be a challenge between the two co-authors to see who can come up with the most sadistic and gruesome ideas and actions. In short, it is gore for gore's sake and whilst this might appeal to many, I'm afraid it doesn't to me.
The 'finale' actually started about half way into the book, and I found myself checking the 'percentage read' on a regular basis in the forlorn hope that I had actually read more than I had! Very unusual for me, but there you go!
To call this book a 'thriller' is stretching things a bit, unless you call animals ripping open people thrilling, which I don't.
If you like sadism, torture and gore, then you'll love it...although I suspect that there are other authors about who tell this sort of a story with rather more subtlety than you'll find here.
If its a good crime or action thriller you're after, then avoid it. It won't be for you.

A Rush to Violence (Book Five in the Fifth Avenue Series)
A Rush to Violence (Book Five in the Fifth Avenue Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read, 28 July 2012
I've been a fan of the author since the beginning, and this latest offering is arguably the best yet. A superby conceived plot, masterful writing and characters that one can quickly identify with..all the ingredients of an outstanding thriller. And believe me, this IS an outstanding thriller.
Chris is already up there with Crais, Flynn and Child, and if you've not discovered him yet, I really do suggest that you do..and quickly.
The next Spellman thriller will be ready next year and I, and many more I suspect, will be eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Thanks Chris...keep 'em comin'.

Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie series Book 2)
Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 28 Jun. 2012
One of the huge benefits of the Kindle is the opportunity to try out lots of new writers at relatively low cost. I'm lucky to have found quite a few but Gordon Ferris is right at the top of the tree. His writing is so wonderfully detailed..he really brings to life all the stresses and pressures of post war Glasgow, and you don't need to know Glasgow..although I do, as my daughter and her family lived there for a number of years..to feel that you're a part of the scene.
If Gordon Ferris is a new name to you, read The Hanging Shed first and then move on to this sequel. The author is an absolute master of his craft and, as has been mentioned in another review, Brodie's Glasgow is already sitting up there alongside Rebus' Edinburgh.
No praise is too high for this absolutely brilliant read and I, and I suspect many more, will be waiting eagerly for the next in the series.
This is a series that is not to be missed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11