Profile for D. Thomson > Reviews

Content by D. Thomson

D. Thomson (Herts, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Deep Down (A Jack Reacher short story) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 2)
Deep Down (A Jack Reacher short story) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Always brilliant, 6 Sept. 2012
It's Lee Child...it's Jack Reacher...need I say more. Wonderful storytelling as always and not long now to wait for the next full length Reacher story.
But, although of no relevance to this short story whatsoever, I just have to ask how on earth Lee Child approved the casting of the diminutive Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the forthcoming film? Or was the money on offer..clearly substantial..conditional upon Wee Tom playing the role? One can't help but wonder!

His Wrath is Come (Parish & Richards Book 5)
His Wrath is Come (Parish & Richards Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good one., 6 Sept. 2012
I'm working my way through the Parish/Richards series and this one certainly maintains the standard of the previous ones. Sure there are annoying bits...for example, the detailed 'satnav style' descriptions of just about every journey -' he drove along the A2163, turned left onto the A421 and at the next roundabout took the second exit onto the A414 etc etc'. Richards' relationship with her boss/stepfather is somewhat strange and unrealistic, but that can be forgiven.
The story, however, is excellent and well constructed, although the finale arrives very quickly and is rather rushed through. But the secondary storyline running through this book is left open for further development and I have already downloaded number 6 in the series.
This is a series that is well worth reading and can be thoroughly recommended.

Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels/Luther Kite Thriller) (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries Book 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really for me, 13 Aug. 2012
This was my first time with these authors so didn't have any 'previous' to fall back on. But I have to say that I don't think my feelings about this book would have changed anyway.
The storyline takes improbability to new levels..the physical achievements of an eight and a half month pregnant woman defy belief..and the whole book seems to be a challenge between the two co-authors to see who can come up with the most sadistic and gruesome ideas and actions. In short, it is gore for gore's sake and whilst this might appeal to many, I'm afraid it doesn't to me.
The 'finale' actually started about half way into the book, and I found myself checking the 'percentage read' on a regular basis in the forlorn hope that I had actually read more than I had! Very unusual for me, but there you go!
To call this book a 'thriller' is stretching things a bit, unless you call animals ripping open people thrilling, which I don't.
If you like sadism, torture and gore, then you'll love it...although I suspect that there are other authors about who tell this sort of a story with rather more subtlety than you'll find here.
If its a good crime or action thriller you're after, then avoid it. It won't be for you.

A Rush to Violence (Book Five in the Fifth Avenue Series)
A Rush to Violence (Book Five in the Fifth Avenue Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read, 28 July 2012
I've been a fan of the author since the beginning, and this latest offering is arguably the best yet. A superby conceived plot, masterful writing and characters that one can quickly identify with..all the ingredients of an outstanding thriller. And believe me, this IS an outstanding thriller.
Chris is already up there with Crais, Flynn and Child, and if you've not discovered him yet, I really do suggest that you do..and quickly.
The next Spellman thriller will be ready next year and I, and many more I suspect, will be eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Thanks Chris...keep 'em comin'.

Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie series Book 2)
Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 28 Jun. 2012
One of the huge benefits of the Kindle is the opportunity to try out lots of new writers at relatively low cost. I'm lucky to have found quite a few but Gordon Ferris is right at the top of the tree. His writing is so wonderfully detailed..he really brings to life all the stresses and pressures of post war Glasgow, and you don't need to know Glasgow..although I do, as my daughter and her family lived there for a number of years..to feel that you're a part of the scene.
If Gordon Ferris is a new name to you, read The Hanging Shed first and then move on to this sequel. The author is an absolute master of his craft and, as has been mentioned in another review, Brodie's Glasgow is already sitting up there alongside Rebus' Edinburgh.
No praise is too high for this absolutely brilliant read and I, and I suspect many more, will be waiting eagerly for the next in the series.
This is a series that is not to be missed.

The Innocent (Will Robie Book 1)
The Innocent (Will Robie Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in every way, 22 Jun. 2012
No need for me to describe the plot in detail..that's already been done by other reviewers. Suffice it to say that this is yet another superbly written and constructed thriller by an acknowledged master of the genre. All fans of the author will love it..new readers will rub their hands at the thought of Baldacci's back catalogue waiting to be read.
Totally brilliant..ignore all those who say otherwise.

Zupapa® Blue 8 ft Replacement Trampoline Surround Pad
Zupapa® Blue 8 ft Replacement Trampoline Surround Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 20 Jun. 2012
Really pleased with this item. Having bought a replacement pad before which turned out to be a load of rubbish, we were hesitant about trying again. So glad we did. This item is superb, was delivered quickly, fits perfectly and is great quality. We can totally recommend it.

Paying The Price (Playing The Game Book 3)
Paying The Price (Playing The Game Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 16 Jun. 2012
Having read and enjoyed the first two in the series, I was looking forward to this one. And Simon certainly didn't dissappoint! This is undoubtedly the best of the three...the storytelling just gets better and better. A clever, well constructed plot gives huge scope for the author to exercise his 'darker side' and some parts of the story are definitely not for the squeamish.
But all in all this is a wonderful read, and I can recommend it unreservedly to anyone who enjoys a well constructed, fast paced and very exciting story. Quite where a Warrington-based McDonalds executive has aquired all his knowledge about American geography..very detailed..and American police procedures, I know not. But it all adds colour to this superbly written thriller. Don't miss it.

Beyond Doubt: the ULTIMATE vigilante (legal thrillers)
Beyond Doubt: the ULTIMATE vigilante (legal thrillers)

1.0 out of 5 stars Really awful, 23 May 2012
I have never written a one star review before but I guess there had to be a first time. I endorse the entire content of Mary Roberts' review. This has to be one of the most badly written books I have ever read. The sentence construction is unbelievably bad and I lost count of the number of times the author used a word which was similar to the one he really wanted to use but meant something totally different. Malapropisms abound.
The basis of the story held some promise but was ruined by the prose used, and the introduction of some gratuitous sexual description was contrived and totally unnecessary, and the description itself almost puerile in execution. It was almost as though the author had said to himself..'I'd better stick a bit of sex in somewhere...where can I squeeze it in?'
The editing is non existent, even to the extent of repeating an entire chapter. I could go on and on but what's the point.
With a good editor for guidance, and a good proof reader..an essential..this story might have worked. And the fact that he obviously leaves the door open for a sequel makes good editing and proof reading an absolute must.
I hate having to criticise a book in this way, but it would be hypocritical to do anything else.
Not one to recommend I'm afraid.

Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1)
Locked In (Jessica Daniel Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 22 May 2012
My first Kerry Wilkinson book..I was tempted by the 99p Kindle price. But I have to say that this book is worth 10 times that. Wonderful story telling, beautifully constructed characters and although it wasn't too difficult to identify the serial killer midway through the book, it didn't detract in any way from the excitement.
This author is a real find for me and as I write this review, I have just finished the follow-up story, Vigilante, which is even better and which I will obviously review separately. I'm now about to download Jess Daniel book 3...you can never have too much of a good thing.
I totally recommend this series to everyone who enjoys a skilfully crafted, imaginative and exciting crime thriller. These are books not to be missed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11