Profile for RocKtheCasbaH > Reviews

Content by RocKtheCasbaH

RocKtheCasbaH (Middlesbrough, UK)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40EB-S Compact Camera - Silver (18.2MP, 20x Optical Zoom Leica DC Lens, Wi-Fi with NFC, Built in GPS, 24mm Wide Angle, 50P Full HD Video - AVCHD) 3 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Ego`s Shoes

2.0 out of 5 stars OK Camera, but AVOID if buying for the Pano Function, 26 Mar 2014
I bought this recently as an upgrade from the DMC-TZ7. One of the best features I found on the TZ7 was the pano function which I used extensively to take pictures for work (publication in brochures/point of sale material as well as web).

However, with the TZ40 the pano function, whilst easier to use, the resulting pics are in low resolution by default and this cannot be changed. So these are now unfit for my purposes and I need to find a different camera which does the job I need. For reference, 2 shots taken for comparison: The pano was 1952x856 pixels, the normal pic was 4896x3672. The picture size setting is disabled in the pano function, the only control over pic compression to either give priority to pic quality or the number of pictures.

Hence my mediocre rating. I am left with a good enough camera for holidays but this is not satisfactory as it only does half the job of its predecessor.

Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender
Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Extender but don't use 2 on same network, 26 Mar 2014
First off, I need to say that this does exactly what it says on the tin, does it well and is very easy to set up. For its core function I would recommend it with 5 stars as it extends the range nicely.

My parents live in a big old house and this extends the WiFi for them brilliantly. I have this located next to my father's entertainment centre and have his Sky HD box connected to it by ethernet cable which works well to provide the enhanced on-demand features offered by Sky when you link the box to the internet. It also extends the house Wifi nicely around the ground floor and out into the garden so big thumbs up for that.

The reason I have deducted one star is this is that you can't chain 2 of these together: Nowhere in the instructions or marketing information does it warn you of that. So I have ended up buying 2 and have effectively wasted my money on one of them.

I had intended to set the first one up attached to the home network and then link the second one link on to that well out of range of the original network (to better cover the garden for laptop/tablet use in the summer). It doesn't work - the second extender becomes unresponsive and the first extender will not let any attached devices connect to the internet whilst the 2 extender is on the network. I have tried everything with it, including doing all the settings manually, resetting and starting from scratch, etc.

As I understand it, the only way 2 extenders can be used on the same network is independently and well out of range of each other - so never the twain shall meet. This would be a hard feat to accomplish given the range of most home WiFi networks so I would recommend just getting one of these.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 12:51 AM GMT

Reebok¨ Crosstrainer "C5.1e"
Reebok¨ Crosstrainer "C5.1e"

5.0 out of 5 stars REEBOK 5.1e Elliptical Cross Trainer (RE-13103), 17 Feb 2009
I've been using this Reebok 5.1e elliptical trainer since Feb 2009 and have used it to successfully lose over 50lbs since then. To be honest I couldn't be without it now.

It took me around 45 minutes to assemble - it isn't too challenging. Basically you need to attach the pedestal to the base, the arms/foot rests to the pedestal and base and LCD console to the pedestal. In terms of wiring there is one plug to connect inside the pedestal from the LCD to the body. The main working parts are already assembled in the body of it. If you keep your exercise equipment upstairs like me then it will take 2 people to move it up.

When I first assembled it and did my first workout I noticed there was a squeaking noise and slight movement in the pedestal. I quickly fixed this by tightening the 2 nuts at the front of the base of the pedestal with an allen key (located behind 2 plastic plugs). I over-tightened these and it hasn't been an issue since.

18 months on it's still going as strong as the day I got it and I'm very pleased with it. The build quality seems good and the it has a program to suit all of my needs. I've had one instance when I had to call Reebok support: On occasion I have been a little rough unplugging it when finished, mainly due to exhaustion, and I had broken the wires in the adapter lead behind the 9v plug. However, a new one was sent out with no quibbles under the 2 year warranty.

I use it twice a week on the timed program setting (program 1). I set my total workout limit to 30 minutes and start the session on an incline of 6 (150 watts). I keep the speed at a minimum 10mph to cover at least 5 miles. After 10 minutes I go on to incline 7 (175 watts) and with only 3 minutes to go I put it on 8 (200w) and occasionally higher.
At these settings I really know I've done some cardio - the sweat is literally dripping - and generally burn 410-440 calories according to the display.
For those who find exercising indoors boring do what I do... Sky+ a TV series you really enjoy and only watch it back when you are on the trainer. This way the time not only flies but you are also rewarding yourself for doing it.

There are 9 different user profiles to save your details and a heart rate monitor.
As stated elsewhere, Amazon and many other sites incorrectly list the flywheel at 10Kg when it is in fact 20Kg.

There are 9 programs that you can choose from:
Program 1 - time - target setting: Specify your training period or exercise the preset length of training. At any time during the exercise you can modify the resistance level.
Program 2 - distance - target setting: Set the designated training distance. At any time during the exercise you can modify the resistance level.
Program 3 - calories - target setting: Enter the number of calories you want to burn. Start with the exercise and modify the resistance level any time during the training.
Program 4 - random program: This program helps you to train your designated time. It randomly selects different resistance levels and varies these during the exercise. You can manually operate the resistance level at any time.
Program 5 - fat burning: This program is geared to fat burning, again the settings can be modified at any time.
Program 6 - interval training
Program 7 - endurance program: This exercise program starts with a short warm up, then gradually increases the intensity and ends with a cool down phase. Thereby you can select between 8 different intensity steps that automatically change the resistance.
Program 8 - WATT control program: Preset here your designated Watt performance. According to step frequency the machine will adapt the resistance level in order to keep the watt performance constant.
Program 9 - Target pulse program: Set here your designated target pulse rate for the exercise. The machine will automatically adjust the resistance level to your current pulse rate.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2013 8:08 PM BST

3 Para
3 Para
by Patrick Bishop

1.0 out of 5 stars Not First hand, 13 Jun 2008
This review is from: 3 Para (Paperback)
I'm afraid I couldn't finish this book. I bought this after finishing the excellent 'Sniper One' and was hoping for a similar first hand account from someone who was there, on the ground. But what this is is more of a series of anecdotes. A collection of other peoples stories bolted together to make a book. It just wasn't what I expected - or wanted at all.