Profile for Sunflowers > Reviews

The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design
The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design
by Leonard Susskind
Price: 10.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Susskind gives clear guidance on the implications of String Theory for our understanding of the Cosmos., 13 Feb 2014
If you wonder why intelligent life evolved in our particular universe and whether other universes may exist, this book tries to answer that question.

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
by Daniel C. Dennett
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting in depth analysis of why people adopt religious beliefs., 13 Feb 2014
The book explains how we acquired an instinctive tendency to adopt a communal belief system due to evolutionary shaping of our mental attributes, and how this instinct normally has a good influence on people's behaviour, although it can also lead to conflict in the modern world.

Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
by Max Tegmark
Price: 17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good summary of the latest attempts to understand the connection between mathematics and the universe/multiverse., 13 Feb 2014
Just because infinity is a concept used in mathematics does not mean that it exists in reality. Moreover, the notion that our universe splits in two at every quantum decoherence event leads to an unimaginable ongoing explosion in the number of universes, (the grandaddy of all divergent series), which makes no sense to me. The universe, or multiverse, is certainly mathematical but it is not totally completely deterministic in my opinion.

Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe
Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe
by Lee Smolin
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Did some kind of natural selection produce our universe?, 27 May 2013
Lee Smolin examines the possibility that our universe is the product of some kind of natural selection involving black holes and/or cyclic Big Bang/Big Crunch scenarios. Like Ilya Progogine, he maintains that the future is uncertain to some extent and amenable to human influence here on Earth, so we should take seriously our responsibility for reducing global warming for example. Entanglement could be explained if the holographic nature of our 3D reality is based on information stored on a quasi 2D surface, analogous to the event horizon of a black hole. By reinstating time, Lee makes a good attempt to bridge the gap between what Einstein's relativity and quantum theory say about the nature of reality.

Chips with Everything and Other Plays, Volume 3
Chips with Everything and Other Plays, Volume 3
by Arnold Wesker

3.0 out of 5 stars Chips with Everything - a play by Arnold Wesker, 17 Jan 2012
This play by Sir Arnold Wesker is based on his experience during the two months of basic training, (also known as square-bashing), that RAF recruits undergo. Arnold was called up for National Service in the RAF in 1950, as I was in 1957. My experiences during my two months of square-bashing were very similar to the events portrayed in Chips with Everything, so it made interesting reading. Unfortunately, the second-hand copy that I received had holes in a corner of the pages made by a paper-eating bug. Fortunately, the holes did not affect the print.

The Labrador Retriever: The Dog That Does it All (Howell reference books)
The Labrador Retriever: The Dog That Does it All (Howell reference books)
by Lisa Weiss

5.0 out of 5 stars The Labrador Retreiver, 3 Nov 2011
This book was an excellent and welcome present for my son and my grandchildren, who have just acquired a Labrador puppy.

Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information
Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information
by Vlatko Vedral
Price: 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Realistic Appraisal of Decoding Reality, 18 Jan 2011
Vlatko Vedral has written a clear and concise explanation of the contribution made by information theory to our attempts to understand quantum theory and the cosmos.
I noticed one or two minor mistakes, (10 to the power 100 is not 10 followed by 100 zeros - it is 1 followed by 100 zeros), but otherwise Vlatko's book is clear and informative.