Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Villain
Villain
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bleak but good exploration of alienation, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Villain (Kindle Edition)
This was a little depressing, but only because it was so well written. I felt a certain empathy for the central character and felt that Shūichi Yoshida made him a believable person. The book was an interesting exploration of alienation and the need to feel loved by someone, to feel that you belong. It wasn't just a clichéd tale of an introverted loner turning out to be a serial killer. It was more an exploration of how life events mould us and can take us to extremes. It did leave me feeling a little bummed out, though!

Deep Kyoto: Walks
Deep Kyoto: Walks
Price: 4.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing behind the scenes exploration of Kyoto, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Deep Kyoto: Walks (Kindle Edition)
As a frequent visitor to Kyoto, I really enjoyed this book. The authors are all people who have moved to Kyoto from elsewhere, and have spent time getting to know the city as residents. The book explores areas of the city that are on the tourist trail, but puts a personal spin on where to go and what to see. I have been to around 70% of the places covered in the walks and have discovered new things that I want to explore next time I am there. I liked the different styles of the authors and the way their personalities and passions came through. My enjoyment of the book is coloured by my previous experiences, but even if you have never been to Kyoto, the walks provide an introduction to the city that goes further than standard tourist texts. It's a must read for any visitor to Kyoto who wants to dig a little deeper into the city's history and its present.
Initially released as an e-book, I read it on both my Kindle 3 and on the app on my tablet computer. Both were easy to navigate, but reading on my tablet gave me access to live links to Google maps and to websites included in the end notes. The photographs and woodblock illustrations look better in colour, too.
Altogether a very thoughtful, engaging and well put together book. I'd be interested to see it as a print book, too.

Black Skies
Black Skies
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to form, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Black Skies (Kindle Edition)
This was a return to form for me. I didn't enjoy the previous novel, which focused on Elinborg and lacked a little punch. Black Skies, however, was pacey and helped me warm to Sigudur Oli, who had grated on me in previous books. The development of his back story made sense of a lot of his foibles. The circumstances of the job he's on as the book opens explains a lot! The exposition on the Icelandic banking crisis is well written. Arnaldur had clearly done his research. I can't wait for the next instalment in the series.

Grayson Perry: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Girl
Grayson Perry: Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Girl
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming & engaging just like the man, 9 Nov 2013
I like Grayson Perry. I like this book, too. He seems a very grounded individual. I hope there's a sequel, written when he's a grand old man who dresses as Claire all the time, pulling his trolley bag to the shops.

The Girl
The Girl
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting point of view, bravely written, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Girl (Kindle Edition)
An interview with Geimer in The Guardian and a review in The Observer by Victoria Coren made me buy this book. What Geimer has to say about the nature of 'victimhood' and the media's need for victims who feed the public's desire for stories of misery that make their own lives seem better is, to me, important. Geimer repeatedly makes the point that she is a survivor, not a victim, of Polanski's crime. It is tragic that Western society is incapable of celebrating that, and prefers to cast doubt on the character of rape survivors by implying that they must be sluts because they haven't allowed the crime to cripple them. Geimer is eloquent about this. Understandably, she comes across as angry at times, and occasionally the narrative flow suffers because of the repetition of complaints. The third section of the book felt like it was going round in circles at times, and threw up some contradictory attitudes. But I haven't been raped, so can't possibly know what it's like to reconstruct your life and deal with the aftermath of violation like that. I can understand Geimer's wish to be free of the story and not be framed as a victim every time Polanski is in the news, but I agree more strongly with the argument by Jaclyn Friedman quoted in the book that "Rape is a crime against the social fabric that binds all of us together... when the perpetrator goes unpunished, it makes all of us less safe."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2013 11:51 PM GMT

Ex-Pro 42 inch 110cm 5-in-1 Photographic Light Reflector - Silver/Gold/Black/White/Translucent
Price: 16.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, large reflector, easy to use, 9 Nov 2013
I'm very impressed with this reflector. The quality is excellent. It feels very robust. It's easy to pop out of its bag. Slightly more tricky to pop back in because of the diameter, though! I've used the white reflector the most so far and it gives good bounce back of light. Well worth the money.

At Swim-two-birds (Penguin Modern Classics)
At Swim-two-birds (Penguin Modern Classics)
Price: 5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing the Kindle version rather than the book, 18 Feb 2012
The book itself is great. It's funny, witty, fast paced and I'm learning a lot about Irish culture. It makes me think of A Portrait of the Artist by Joyce, but more accessible and with better jokes.

The Penguin Modern Classics Kindle Version, however, leaves a lot to be desired. It would appear that the publishers have used optical character recognition on a scan of a typescript, judging by the amount of typographic errors there are in this edition. One irritation is the constant rendering of the word "the" as "die", another is missing punctuation, and there are numerous examples of "ri" being rendered as "n" and entire words being misread by the OCR.

If this had been a free download from Project Gutenburg or something, I would have lived with it. But this is an official Kindle version from the publisher of the book that I paid only a couple of pounds less for than I would have paid for a print copy of a book.

Editing standards for Kindle versions of books should be as high as they are for print versions. Otherwise it just looks like publishers cashing in by doing very little work to create an alternative version of a book.

My advice would be to buy the print version of this book, unless you're willing to put up with typos.

Teddy and the Darkgate
Teddy and the Darkgate

5.0 out of 5 stars An allegory about love, 22 Jan 2012
Like the first reviewer, I wasn't sure about getting this book at first. A story about a teddy that isn't aimed at toddlers? However, I downloaded the sample and was gripped. The story is absolutely brilliant - a sort of cross between the allegories of Jonathan Swift, the magical realism of Alan Garner and the surreal darkness of The Mighty Boosh. It explores love, the power of suggestion, belonging and how we all accept the weirdness of the world, because otherwise we'd go mad. It is very dark in places, so I'm not sure about sharing it with small children, but Teddy and all the characters he encounters are well written and engaging. You will find yourself caring about a soft toy that can talk. You will laugh out loud. You will feel worried about what's going to happen next. It's okay, though - there is a happy ending, and there is the promise of a sequel.

Love Remains
Love Remains
by Glen Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars Gut wrenching, 13 Aug 2006
This review is from: Love Remains (Paperback)
This is the fourth Glen Duncan novel I've read. He never disappoints. This book is a psychoanalytic masterpiece, looking at the nature of love and hate, sex and love, pain and joy, disappointment and regret. Unusually, for a male writer, Duncan gets inside the heads of women and writes convincingly from their perspective. His description of Chloe's outlook, both before and after the event the book centres around, is something most women readers will identify with. The female characters in the book are undoubtedly the strongest and best drawn. The main male character is interesting, although maybe an as-yet-fully-formed version of the mesmerising male characters in I, Lucifer and Weathercock, but he didn't compel me in the same way as the women. If you're a romantic about love, this book will give you a different slant on things. If you're a realist about love, this book will be like coming home. He's the best contemporary writer I've had the pleasure of finding recently.

Asleep in the Back
Asleep in the Back
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 6 Nov 2002
This review is from: Asleep in the Back (Audio CD)
Disturbing, but not in a bad way! This is one of my favourite albums of 2001. At times Guy Garvey sings like Peter Gabriel, at others the record has echoes of Bowie or Japan. These are influences, you understand, not copied motifs.
The softness of the music hides an unsettling edge. This isn't merely another album of melancholic northern music, this is an album that doesn't quite let you lie back on the sofa and drift. It doesn't quite let you use it as musical wallpaper. There's something deeper there that keeps you on your toes, waiting.
I bought it because I like bands like Doves and artists like Badly Drawn Boy. Elbow are somehow different. If Doves are your mate, Elbow are like their more intense older brother - the one you're a little bit scared of but you want to be liked by. You know they're related, but somewhere the gene pool got whisked around a bit.
This album makes me think of wrapping up in a big thick jumper, sitting on a beach by a fire, talking to someone who has big ideas and the ability to make you dream on the same scale.
The addition of Asleep In The Back on the updated version is a blessing. If you have been tempted by either Newborn or Asleep In The Back, take the plunge and buy this album. You will thank yourself for the rest of your life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2010 2:16 PM GMT