Profile for Pyramid_Head > Reviews

Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

5.0 out of 5 stars marvellous!, 26 Dec. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'm not a fan of the new flashier games that have been have post 2005. until I saw this advertised. zombies, gore, the ability to use anything as a weapon? it's the perfect recipe for lighter take on what has been wrongly mistaken for 'horror' since 'survival of the dead'

but... onto the game itself.
after a lengthy (but not too lengthy) opening cutscene you're immediately thrown onto a bike with chainsaws on the side... and placed in a huge arena with loads of zombies. and the hacking and blood-letting begins. some say the story is weak... ok we're not dealing with Silent Hill 2 here or anything, but I think the story of DR2 is there, but it doesn't get in the way of the hacking, bashing and otherwise maiming of the undead.

I have not played it all the way through yet, but I find myself throughly enjoying this game, when you wonder through the opening mall you can't help but think "Dawn of the dead... heh."

one thing that makes this game even more fun is weapon durability and combo weapons. yes, if a weapon is used a number of times, it breaks. which I find adds a bit of tension. your last fire hammer breaks and you're surrounded by zombies. you need to punch your way out to the next available weapon.

the combo weapons are a nice touch. my only problem is, trying to find the components for these weapons can be a chore, and balancing making combo weapons and finishing objectives is a bit tricky, but once you get a combo weapon, the limbs flying everywhere and the double PP is kinda worth the hassle.

overall a very fun game. and a storyline with just enough actual story to make you want to complete every objective.