Profile for John Devenney > Reviews

Content by John Devenney

John Devenney (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom)

Everything's Eventual
Everything's Eventual
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Shock of the Century!, 28 Feb 2003
This review is from: Everything's Eventual (Audio CD)
I heard this album at a friends the other night,and could not believe that this was produced by the apparently less talented half of the defunct All Saints.I bought the album and haven't looked back. I never was much of an All Saints fan, I found them much too inconsistent to be really good, and their albums were largely poor quality padding for their singles.
This is a different cup of tea.The two opening tracks, granted, do give a hint of past influences, but they rapidly leave this behind as the album progresses.It is difficult to know what the influences on this record are. There are hints of hip hop but with deep memorable melody lavishly embellished here and there with big sounding orchestral backing sneaking in and out.It is almost entirely instantly accessible but in a clever quality way, not the type of accessibility that you get bored with after a couple of listenings. Surprisingly there really isn't a low point to this album.Teenage All Saints fans may enjoy elements of this record, but it really is a surprisingly grown up album with a confident mature sound at ease with itself.
Stand out tracks if there are any are Fantasy, Ring A Ding Ding (daft title, excellent music), and Don't Worry.
I still can't beleive this is the Appleton sisters!
Swallow your pride and buy this album.When you get over the shock and disbelief,I am sure you will agree with me that this is by far and away the finest main stream release of the last twelve months.

Songs From The West Coast
Songs From The West Coast
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.46

2.0 out of 5 stars A return to his 70s glory days? I think not!, 4 Oct 2001
Having read the media reviews, and having been taken in by them,I, as a long standing fan of Elton John could hardly wait for the release of this album.
Ther are two good tracks on here (I want love, This train don't stop here anymore), some reasonable tracks (The emperor's new clothes, Original sin, Ballad of the boy in the red shoes), and some absolutely awful tracks (Love her like me, The wasteland,Dark Diamond, Mansfield). The remaining tracks can only be described as mediocre non-ofensive fillers.
I'm sorry to disappoint Elton fans, who, like me were waiting for some truly excellent new songs. It just hasn't happened, and I don't think it ever will.I suppose every artist has their time of brilliance, and, as a committed Elton fan, I'm going to have to accept that his time was around 25 years ago.
Ah well, I guess it's back to Tumbleweed connection and Madman across the water!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2013 8:54 PM GMT