Profile for DavidStrife > Reviews

K-On! The Movie Blu-ray / DVD Double Play
Dvd ~ Aki Toyosaki
Price: 20.81

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Movie, not as good as the Series, 22 Jun 2014
I liked the series for the very tongue in cheek type comedy, and not taking itself too seriously. The movie almost feels like they're playing it safe, and trying to appeal to as many expectations as possible, and not take a risky step in any direction. The result is that it's not as fun or light hearted as the series, and ends up feeling like a stale and dull adventure in comparison.

I didn't hate it, far from it, I enjoyed it. Just not as good as the show, and maybe I'm being unfair trying to compare it to the show, when it's obviously a movie. As a fan though, I expected something more?

Attack on Titan Survey Corps Eren Anime Backpack Shoulder Bag Schoolbag
Attack on Titan Survey Corps Eren Anime Backpack Shoulder Bag Schoolbag
Offered by aifenhu
Price: 12.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well built, pleasing to the eye, 22 Jun 2014
Big fan of the series, couldn't wait for this to arrive. When it did, it felt like it was put together, and looked just as it does in the pictures.

It's been used now for a few months, and it's not wearing in any noticeable fashion, and has carried a substantial amount of weight in it, that has torn and shredded other bags under this weight.

I carry a lot of books and my laptop, so a sturdy bag is essential, and this is so far looking to be "that bag" I'm going to have for a few years again!

Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D
Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D
by Terry Norton
Price: 27.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 Jun 2014
I bought it with an expectation that there'd be direct examples or explanations of things to carry out in Unity using C#, but actually the book really focuses solely on C#, and puts it in a Unity contextual environment.

You won't see any example projects or direct tutorials, but it does show you different implementations of how to execute well known functions and procedures such as limited/numbered loops, and basic programming concepts anyone should know when starting out.

A stellar book that basically helped me climb over the final steep part of my learning curve with programming, and finally gave me that "eureka" moment with programming in general, and not just C#.

If you've tried to learn programming, but are just finding it a tad bit difficult, and are looking for that "holy grail" book to finally sink it into your head, this book will knock you over to the other side of the fence you're standing on. If you're a programmer but are trying to learn C# specifically for Unity, you'll breeze through this in days.

Akashi-Tai Junmai Daiginjo Sake 72 cl
Akashi-Tai Junmai Daiginjo Sake 72 cl
Offered by Dram Good Drinks
Price: 29.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality Sake, 22 Jun 2014
I've been through a few different bottles of Sake over the last couple of years, and this has been the best one available internationally. I have no doubt that the domestic produced stuff is probably leagues better than the stuff we get in the UK and the States, but I think this is as close as you'll get without knowing exactly what to look for.

Game Development Essentials
Game Development Essentials
by Jeannie Novak
Price: 52.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Game Designers, 22 Jun 2014
Without this and another book similar in content, I would not be as informed as I am now. A great starting point for any budding designer/developers, and even if you don't get the technical stuff, just soak in the general ambience of the book, and you start to enter a professional mindset.

Sony Mid-Range In-Ear Headphones with Deep Bass for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Black
Price: 16.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 22 Jun 2014
Not the best headphones I've had for the price, but cheap and cheerful as they say.
Clear bass and treble, good enough to play my keyboard with, and listen to my laptop's music/games with etc.

Good noise cancellation of background noise, what you're listening to is the only thing you'll hear if you've plugged them in nice and tight.

Mr Selfridge - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Mr Selfridge - Series 1 [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 11.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Haven't seen something this good since House M.D, 22 Jun 2014
I loved House M.D when I finally came around and realised its existence. So when I was told that an anti-house show was on its way (someone happy and optimistic as opposed to cynical/realist and miserable), I had to give it a shot.

Originally rented it on the PSN store on my PS4 and streamed it, but loved it so much I had to buy the Blu-Ray!

Ends on a great note, characters are memorable and well acted. Avoids going into melodrama, but still manages to add a bit of playful tack to the whole charade. Definitely worth watching even if you're not into period dramas (I'm not).

K-On! Houkago Live!! HD Version [Japan Import]
K-On! Houkago Live!! HD Version [Japan Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game! Don't even need to be a fan!, 22 Jun 2014
Absolutely loved this game. Few glaring issues with the graphics being upscaled from PSP size to console 720p HD size, things like blurring or shaking/twitching on the screen, but the gameplay is fine!

All characters are playable from the start, great selection of songs that are all memorable and catchy, and a simple gameplay music system to play the songs with. Challenging for those who step up the difficulty level, easy enough for the rest who want to enjoy the game without too harsh a challenge and have come to relax.

You don't need to know japanese to play this game, you can just work around the menus quite easily enough through trial and error. It's a music based game, so you can just skip the cutscenes inbetween and simply play the music :)

Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo [Regular Edition] [Japan Import]
Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo [Regular Edition] [Japan Import]
Offered by Playimport
Price: 28.33

4.0 out of 5 stars For Fans, Great - For non-fans, still good!, 22 Jun 2014
Like most games of this genre, it's really for the diehard fans of the show. Having said that, if you can get around the fairly slow start, the game picks up quick and offers quite a bit to sink your teeth into.

Personally loved the show, so it met my expectations, for outsiders coming in or just starting to take interest in the show, a lot of the appeal here relies on you having previous knowledge/affection for the characters/plot in the show, so try to get through the anime whilst playing.

Wacom Intuos Manga Pen and Touch Graphics Tablet
Wacom Intuos Manga Pen and Touch Graphics Tablet
Price: 77.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Brother Loves It, 22 Jun 2014
I used to have tons of graphics tablets, but I'd worn them all down, so when my younger brother asked for a graphics tablet, it was a case of finding another one to buy. Always liked wacom because they don't need batteries, and tend to be quite varied in their function, so I took a shot at the newer lineup they had on offer.

With the manga studio software (brother wanted to get into drawing manga/anime style stuff) bundled, he's having a great time using it, and I had a good few hours using it as well, and the more recent tablets perform a lot better than the ones I remember using years ago XD

Next time will be getting a large one, or even a cintiq screen tablet from wacom.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4