Profile for J. M. Soetendorp > Reviews

Content by J. M. Soetendorp

J. M. Soetendorp "Sootyj" (UK)

The Hidden Gems and Oddities of British Children's TV Vol.1
The Hidden Gems and Oddities of British Children's TV Vol.1

5.0 out of 5 stars sometimes quite sophisticated charm and the authors draws this out beautifully. Evoking happy childhood memories with a clear an, 27 Mar. 2016
I can only imagine the author is as quirky as his choice of subject matter. British children's TV has always had a cheery, sometimes quite sophisticated charm and the authors draws this out beautifully. Evoking happy childhood memories with a clear and engaging voice.

Your King's Speech: How to beat your public speaking fears
Your King's Speech: How to beat your public speaking fears

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't just find my voice after reading this book I found my life!, 4 Dec. 2012
I have suffered crippling shyness all of my life. I was persecuted and bullied at school, because I was so shy I couldn't raise the alarm when it caught fire. And it burned to the ground and we had to spend the rest of the year learning in a tent in a muddy field. The only job I could get was cleaning in a library for the deaf, at night. I was so shy I became addicted to extra chewy toffees as they were the only way to stop me talking to myself and by extension ignoring myself. I was just getting ready to fly to Nevada's death valley with a shovel. So I could dig a hole and live in it miles from the nearest human soul.

But on the way to the flight I picked up a kindle that happened to have Neil Bakewell's life transforming book on it. The man who dropped it I believe had just taken up a job shouting at gulls on the 5th runway.

I now speak with such confidence I volunteer for the RNIB shouting at ships to go away on foggy nights. And I have an exciting new career as a town crier.

Thank you Neil Bakewell you have transformed my life; and those who have the privilege of hearing my voice.

nb this is a slight exageration. But this excellent book is actually a good, easy to pick up guide to improving your confidence in public speaking.

Naked Came the Sasquatch (TSR books series)
Naked Came the Sasquatch (TSR books series)
by John Boston

5.0 out of 5 stars a one of a kind masterpiece, 8 July 2011
This is a strange and charming comedic, horror, romantic thriller what ever.

I think it's the only book by the author which is a darned shame. And in some ways it's a bit clumsy, the language and structure does feel very much that of a first time author.

But the humour, charm characters and wholly plausible theories on Sasquatches et al make it worth it.

I found it lingering sadly years ago in a dusty old RPG shop and read it in 2 days (one of which on a dark and stormy night)

Against All Enemies
Against All Enemies
by Tom Clancy

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Against All Enemies (Hardcover)
I've read pretty much all of Tom Clancy's novels. And this was just disappointing, ponderous slow and dramatic unfulfilling. The other novels feel they were dragged from the front pages of newspapers and stuffed with techno informatint the CIA would want. But this one was just an attempt to enervate to tired old cliche villains by mixing them up. Like a cocktail of stale wine and stale beer.

Not to mention how so much action happens off stage in a 700+ page book. And nothing connects there's no exiting chase to head off the villains plot in the end. It sort of happens with almost no context to our heroe's actions.