Profile for RJ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% my favorite vegan cook book, 19 July 2015
i have a pretty vast vegan cook book collection already, from vegan basics to artisan cheeses... but within 30minutes of opening this i knew i had found a new favorite - infact there were so many things i wanted to try that i didnt know which one to try first! Aside from the fun to read and easy to follow wriying style, this book has introduced me to a whole new world of favotite meals. Its also been a great way to really understand how vegan basics can be made at home, which opens up a whole new world of opportunities to tweak old classics to suit your own preferences, from fresh made personalised tofu, to extra beefy seitan steaks (try the 'unsteak' recipe, swaping mushrooms for tomatos- or anything else you fancy trying out!!). I would definitely recomend this to both new and practised vegans alike.

The Phantom Tollbooth (Essential Modern Classics)
The Phantom Tollbooth (Essential Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, and hope that every child and adult will have a chance to read it, 20 Jun. 2014
I first came across this book when it was read to me as a child. I then read it for myself as a slightly older child, and have come back at 25 to read it again and it is every bit as good as I remembered it being, and it is even more meaningful. Well worth a read.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall

5.0 out of 5 stars Very likable story of a dysfunctional character, 20 Jun. 2014
Very likable story of a dysfunctional character, yet also very thought provoking covering some very serious issues. I enjoyed this book, and sympathized greatly with the story.

In This Hospitable Land
In This Hospitable Land

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, thought provoking and inspiring, 20 Jun. 2014
I never really lied war time stories, but this one has converted me, I have nothing negative to say about this book: well written, great characters, covering deep and thought provoking events. Several moments from this book have come to mind over the last few months since i read the book. I finished this book and was left wanting to know more about the events that it touched on, so went in search of more like it!

The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars I never get tired of reading this book, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Kindle Edition)
I love this story, and everything about it. I watched the film nearly every year as a child, and loved the book even more. Even now I would happily re-read it again.

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go

4.0 out of 5 stars Well developed story, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story and the writing style. It also left me thinking about the ideas afterwards. The character were also a good mix, and well constructed.

The Satanic Verses
The Satanic Verses

4.0 out of 5 stars Struggled getting into it, but interesting and thought provoking when you do., 20 Jun. 2014
Struggled getting into it, but interesting and thought provoking when you do - worth reading about the political turmoil this caused before reading.

I wont claim to have understood it all, I think I would need to give it another read to really understand what was going on in many places, but it was definitely interesting with a good mix of different yet believable characters.

Wuthering Heights
Wuthering Heights

5.0 out of 5 stars Story has stuck with me, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Kindle Edition)
I find this book a great example of how to get a thought provoking story from complicated characters, without needing to have a perfect and inherently likeable main character all the time. Very refreshing after reading too many soft style modern books.

A Tale of Two Cities
A Tale of Two Cities

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the writing style, 20 Jun. 2014
I found the descriptive writing style of this really enjoyable, though at times I struggled remembering which character was which.

The King's Hounds (The King's Hounds series Book 1)
The King's Hounds (The King's Hounds series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Over all I liked this book, though the plot was quite simple, 20 Jun. 2014
Over all I relatively enjoyed this book, but the plot was quite simple and a little slow. I also got a bit irritated that the writer seems to always use references to boobs as a way of describing any female characters breathing pattern - it needlessly lowers the tone and is very repetitive.

Page: 1 | 2