Profile for Penny M > Reviews

The Ladybird Book of Kings and Queens of England
by Louise Jones
Price: 5.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 24 Sep 2011
This gives a brief overview of the Kings and Queens of England - not too in-depth but interesting enough for a 6 year-old to follow chapter by chapter. I'm very pleased with it.

The Book of Laughter and Forgetting
The Book of Laughter and Forgetting
by Milan Kundera
Price: 7.09

2.0 out of 5 stars hmm not that impressed really, 31 July 2011
I didn't laugh once and took so long to get through it, I forgot what the plot was. Or was there actually a plot? After thoroughly enjoying reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I was looking forward to this one, but I was disappointed. It's not to say I don't enjoy a heavy book from time to time, but this wasn't just heavy it was tedious and towards the end, a little disturbing. I gave up on it, which I rarely do with books. I don't get a lot of time to read with two young children, and life it too short to waste. Sorry, if this is very negative, but this is my opinion and it just wasn't for me.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2011 8:24 PM GMT

Treasure Island (Ladybird Children's Classics)
Treasure Island (Ladybird Children's Classics)
by Robert Louis Stevenson

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 14 July 2011
We read this to our 6 year-old son (an advanced reader) and he enjoyed it very much. It seemed to be the right pitch for him, as it wasn't too "wordy" for him. I'd recommend it for 6-8/9 year-olds, either to have it read to them or to read themselves.

The Lighthouse Keeper's Catastrophe
The Lighthouse Keeper's Catastrophe
by Ronda Armitage
Price: 4.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely story from Ronda and David Armitage, 1 July 2011
I really like the Lighthouse Keeper stories and my son likes me reading them to him. We first saw a couple of them in the library and liked them so much, I thought I'd buy this copy and am not sorry. We love to read and read a wide range of different books, and I'd definitely say the stories and characters in this range are amongst our favourites.

Gulliver's Travels (Ladybird Children's Classics)
Gulliver's Travels (Ladybird Children's Classics)
by Jonathan Swift

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Jun 2011
Our son really enjoyed listening to this classic story. It's a shame these books are quite hard to get hold of, as I'd love to read more of these original stories to my children, some books are too wordy for younger children but this is the right length and pitch for our 6-year-old.

Baby Stella Peach
Baby Stella Peach
Price: 18.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous toy, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Baby Stella Peach (Toy)
Our 2 year-old girl absolutely loves this doll. She changes its nappy and takes her for walks. The dummy is magnetic, so our son likes sticking take-along-Thomas trains to it, but it is a very loved toy so far.

Acctim Kaava Radio Controlled Metal Case Wall Clock, 12 Inch
Acctim Kaava Radio Controlled Metal Case Wall Clock, 12 Inch
Price: 19.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased so far, 26 April 2011
It was fun watching it set itself when we put the batteries in. It's been up for a few months now and still keeping good time. No complaints so far and great value compared to some other models we looked at.

Awesome Activity Book (Horrible Histories)
Awesome Activity Book (Horrible Histories)
by Terry Deary
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and educational too, 26 April 2011
Our son has enjoyed doing these activities. He's 6 but advanced at reading - so he can manage them ok but needs help understanding the concepts.

Tales From Acorn Wood: Three lift-the-flap stories
Tales From Acorn Wood: Three lift-the-flap stories
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely collection from Julia Donaldson, 26 April 2011
We bought this for a friend's twin girls birthday present but wish we'd kept it ourselves. Our 2-year-old loved it so we might have to get another copy.

Super Saxoflute
Super Saxoflute
Offered by Hooray for Toys!
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Super Saxoflute (Toy)
We got this as a joint present for our little boy and girl, aged 6 and 2 respectively and they both love to play with this. It is a noisy toy, but they enjoy putting it together in lots of different ways and then listening to the different sounds it makes. Definitely recommend it to others.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14