Profile for Mr. W. Deneve > Reviews

Content by Mr. W. Deneve

Mr. W. Deneve "two left eyes" (uk)

Digital Movie Creator 3
Digital Movie Creator 3

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Digital Movie Creator 3 (CD-ROM)
this is a terrible product - utterly rubbish! We bought two at school but cannot install them for stopframe animation. Every forum I look on says the same thing - error39 - cannot seem to find any solution any more than anyone else can. I loved v2 but wanted better resolution and sd card so upgraded to a piece of very expensive plastic. It isn't even silver! Still blue but now awful! Steer clear, I say!

The Roar
The Roar
by Emma Clayton
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic debut, 16 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Roar (Paperback)
This book was a wonderful find. I'm always on the look out for new children's science fiction but I was initially put off by the cover to this one, looking a bit tacky I thought.
Throughout the book the author is incredibly inventive, creating a future uk by subtly warping and distorting familiar products or ideas. The plot is fast paced and - vitally - believable.
For a more adult read look to Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood - I wonder if this author had read this book too.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars great starter bike, 26 Jan 2008
I bought this bike for my son (11) in the white and blue colour scheme. We're really impressed with it - the dart 2 fork is active enough to be of use to him and above all it has the feel and quality of a 'real' bike. I'm hoping it will see him and his two younger brothers thru a few years. It seems like a good base for upgrade too.

Star Dancer
Star Dancer
by Beth Webb
Price: 11.57

5.0 out of 5 stars A chance purchase, 30 Dec 2006
This review is from: Star Dancer (Hardcover)
This was a chance buy, a look at the cover and hope kind of decision made during a lengthy browse in a bookshop (oops, is that allowed in here?). To be fair, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised.

This is ... almost...ish... similar in a way to the Michelle Paver Wolf Brother series. Tegen is a very powerful lead character and the all-pervasive magic that surrounds the community is utterly engaging.

Beth Webb creates a convincing world that it is easy to slip into but difficult to pull yourself away from. I was struck by the 'womanliness' about the book, style and content, but will be really pushing it towards my boys at school, particularly as puberty knocks.

The plot is strong, each page taking you towards an increasingly uncertain conclusion to dilemma and counter-dilemma. The reader is often left hanging, knuckles white and exhausted from lack of sleep.

The only negative aspect - no sequel until Sept 2007!

The Goose Girl
The Goose Girl
by Shannon Hale

5.0 out of 5 stars what a very, very pleasant surprise, 30 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Goose Girl (Hardcover)
I've actually had this book sitting on the shelf for over a year but, as it came as a freebie, bundeled with a whole box of other novels,I'd ignored it. The beautiful cover hadn't enticed me and it was destined to stay in mint condition.

Well, obviously, I picked it up and, despite a slowish start, found it extremely difficult to put down. You see, it's one of those very rare stories where it's possible to fall in love with the characters. Maybe it's because the princess is the misunderstood under-dog in the story or maybe it's because her charm (and magical abilities) grow as you become more involved with her; seeing her living and breathing.

Shannon Hale doesn't pull her punches either. More than once the unthinkable happens, turning this into a bubbling pot of suspense and thrills.

You know I was almost disappointed that there are following tales in this 'series' due to its roundness, its total completion. Needless to say this disappointment lasted for as long as it took to order the Enna and River episode.

I am reccommending this book to everyone I meet (even strangers at the bus stop)! It would take a churlish individual indeed to not enjoy this book. Read it!

In the Country of Last Things
In the Country of Last Things
by Paul Auster
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia, 5 Jun 2006
I read this book about 15 years ago and still have the haunting image of Auster's 'runners' playing in my mind. As a dystopian, spoilt future this is precise and believable. Close to the end of the Book of Illusions I am ready to re-read the country of last things. If you enjoy this try Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake for a double bill of near future pleasure!

Real Fast Puddings: Over 200 Desserts, Savouries and Sweet Snacks in Under 30 Minutes
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book, 8 July 2003
I love this book, it has made fruit so much more exciting. I shot out and bought a handful of different liquers and haven't looked back. For the first time I feel confident about making puddings as well as mains. Hurrah!

Alps StoryMaker: Using Fiction as a Resource for Accelerated Learning
Alps StoryMaker: Using Fiction as a Resource for Accelerated Learning
by Stephen Bowkett

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful book, 8 July 2003
The literacy strategy kind of shoved out lots of good practice in teaching story writing. This puts it back in and makes the whole thing a lot more fun. I found it extremely useful as a springboard for rethinking the way I teach literacy, mking it fun and exciting again. The kind of scaffolding the book suggests really appeal to the children I teach (ks 2), giving everyone the chance to be a successful author. The multi-sensory approach is well thought out and easy to apply. I applaud this book in every way. It is the gentle revolution that I was looking for.

Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.71

5.0 out of 5 stars our favourite cd, 25 Sep 2002
This review is from: No! (Audio CD)
we are a family of 5; one 33, 0ne 34, one 6, one 3 and one 1. This is our favourite cd. I mean it's not my favourite or my wife's either but as a family we like this better than anything else. We recently drove 1000 miles in a couple of days and listened to it at least 20 times ( d'ya know I never really tired of it) If you have a handful of kids -buy it. My oldest loves the PC graphiky stuff as well.

Heaven Eyes
Heaven Eyes
by David Almond

5.0 out of 5 stars spellbound in Norfolk, 23 Nov 2000
This review is from: Heaven Eyes (Paperback)
I was extremely impressed with this offering from David Almond. For me it falls somewhere inbetween Skellig and Kit's Wilderness; a bit difficult to explain away valuing both pretty evenly. Who cares if the characters lacked a little realism, they are after all characters and not real people. I have the feeling these children weave their own story, not worrying too much about authenticity. I would disagree with previous reviews who dismiss this as unchild-friendly.It may not be a novel that they would choose for themselves but is rather one that they may be steered/guided towards (or have read to them), remember children left to their own devices may never get past fries and on to seafood. I will be reccommending this to my top readers (a class of ten year olds) and look forward to their reviews. This is fiction to inspire and aspire to.