Profile for Gareth Newton-Williams > Reviews

Content by Gareth Newton-...

Gareth Newton-Williams (London)

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen® [Non-Slip] [Perfect-Fit] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case Slim **NEW** [Fit Series] [Thin Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium SF Coated Non Slip Surface with Excellent Grip Matte Hard Case - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Slim Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) (2014) - Smooth Black (SGP11102)
Offered by Keep in Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case - great compromise between bulk and protection, 7 Jan. 2016
This is easily my favourite iPhone case. It doesn't make the phone noticeably heavier or thicker as many cases do and provides excellent protection against minor drops and scratches. I have personally tested it five or six times getting my phone out of my pocket or dropping it out of an open bag onto concrete, tiles and carpet.

There is a small issue as the case doesn't wrap around the top or bottom of the phone completely, so it is possible to scratch those parts of the phone even when the case is on. This case is still the best compromise between bulk and protection I have found.

Proxima Direct 100/200/300/400/500 LED String Fairy Lights for Christmas Tree Party Wedding Events Garden (8 Lighting Modes, memory function) - Top Quality (Multi Color, 300 LED)
Offered by Proxima Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality LED lights - reliable, bright, very little heat., 7 Jan. 2016
Very pleased with these LEDs. No noticeable heat, even after prolonged use. We purchased the 300 bulb set and were surprised at how quickly the Christmas tree absorbed them. I therefore recommend getting the set above the one you think you need as a few extra lights do no harm.

All of our visitors loved the tree and kids have far too much fun pressing the button to switch between the different display modes.

I couldn't see any blown bulbs although there is some variation in the intensity of the light. The cabling was fine, but clearly not intended to be load bearing.

Three sleeper Bunkbed - 3ft Single Triple sleeper Bunk Bed - VERY STRONG BUNK - Contract Use - heavy duty use
Offered by Strictly Beds and Bunks Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent materials, clear instructions, very solid construction - a great bed., 7 Jan. 2016
This bed is ideal for small children. The middle bunk is the most difficult to access and requires you to be either small or limber. Both the top and bottom bunks are easily accessed. The timber is unfinished but was essentially ready to paint or varnish with only a couple of areas requiring a light sanding.

This is a very sturdy bed. Ours took a few days to settle in, with some tightening required on some of the bolts, but is now firm and solid. The components are noticeably stronger and thicker than those of other beds. The slats are 50% thicker than those in the preceding Ikea bed for example. We have been using it for three weeks.

Assembly was very simple, as all of the parts are marked and a step by step booklet walks you through the process. It did take a few hours due to the sheer number of screws and parts and you do need two people to fit some parts together.

We are delighted with our purchase and only regret not getting one sooner. This bed is a great piece of furniture and in my opinion represents excellent value for money.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Steelheart (Reckoners Book 1)
Steelheart (Reckoners Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tale, Sanderson keeps you turning the pages, 1 Oct. 2014
Brandon demonstrates a certain flair for creating interesting spins on magic and the supernatural and then exploring what the implications might be for the rest of us, and those with power.

Steelheart feels a little familiar, in the sense that it follows this trademark pattern, but isn't hindered by that. Instead, like a good whodunnit, you anxiously rip through the story looking for the next hint at how these powers work and how and why they are being used.

I look forward to reading the next in the series and hope to see further character development along with the remarkable intrigue.

Grunts
Grunts

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Grunts (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading Grunts but felt that some of the political and moral observations took priority over the story itself. I like the idea of properly awful characters but it can so easily feel gratuitous. 'Pass me another, this one's split' is pretty shocking, but I didn't feel enough was done to bring what was happening home.

All You Need Is Kill
All You Need Is Kill

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent short sci-fi novel, 23 Jun. 2014
I discovered All You Need Is Kill after the 2014 release of Edge of Tomorrow, the movie starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. Time travel is a popular theme at the moment and I was curious about the book upon which the movie was based, I'd enjoyed the concepts in Source Code and wanted to see how it was tackled here.

I'm very glad I looked it up. The book feels like a classic, great concept, well executed, very tight and concise dialogue, believable characters, despite the absurd circumstances, and a protagonist you want to root for. The fight scenes are excellent and I never lost track of what was happening.

Reminiscent of Matheson's 'I am Legend' in terms of length, pace, emotional content, and quality.

The Naked God (Nights Dawn Book 3)
The Naked God (Nights Dawn Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy the journey..., 17 May 2013
Peter spins a wonderful and somewhat lengthy tale of sympathetic characters and fantastic events. If you enjoy the process of reading itself then this is a wonderful book and a satisfying addition to the trilogy.
However, if you are an endings person, and by that I mean that you like to be left feeling a little changed by the books you read then this isn't it. The ending was conclusive but didn't satisfy at all. No sacrifice, no loss, limited consideration of the consequences, no real resolution of the primary themes. Just neat.
I love reading all three books but the ending left me wishing I'd never quite got around to reading the last 80 pages.

A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time
A Memory Of Light: Book 14 of the Wheel of Time

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end, 12 April 2013
I've spent a considerable portion of my life with the characters of The Wheel of Time and I'm glad of it. Jordan's characters deal with the ridiculous and alien in a very human way. The Wheel of Time is a marvellous and fitting legacy.