Profile for JohnB > Reviews

Content by JohnB

JohnB "JohnB" (Sheffield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Bread Matters: The sorry state of modern bread and a definitive guide to baking your own
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential guide to good bread for bread lovers., 13 Nov 2013
A brilliant motivational book.

I first came across Andrew Whitley through an article in a USA newspaper [...]

I had just retired and my wife was trying to talk me into making proper bread by hand as she did not have the time. I saw no point in trying to imitate the stuff for sale in our supermarkets and liking Andrew's style I tried his recipe. It was an instant success with everyone who came to visit or stay with us and is still our staple bread several years later.

I then decided to buy his book ‘sight unseen’. I love it so much that I bought the Kindle version as we are now downsizing.
It is an unashamedly a book for lovers of bread who are prepared to share Andrew’s passion for his art. If you are someone who just wants a list of brief recipes for different breads this may be not for you. He goes into great detail about why one should try more traditional methods of starters, sponges, long rising etc. His passion comes over to inspire the reader. Some of his recipes are shared in great detail where he seems to be say “I love this and want you to enjoy it as well”.

I am not a cook and never will be. All you need for this is motivation – which Andrew tries to give – and the ability for follow clear instructions.

I have finally decided to try making my own rye starter and I am just about to add more water and flour on day 3. To my surprise It seems to be working!

E14 to E27 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
E14 to E27 Lamp Light Bulb Base Socket Converter Adaptor
Offered by Liroyal
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They do the job!, 3 Nov 2013
I needed these to allow myself to use E27 LED bulbs in several light fittings.

The items looked 'fit for the job' but when I tried them, they were a fraction too short and did not make contact at the bottom of the socket. I was not surprised as one or two replacement bulbs had had the same problem in the light fitting! I easily removed a couple of mm from the top of the socket which allowed the converters to fit correctly making a full electrical contact. As I had had the same problem with another convertor as will as with a bulb of a well respected brand I put this down the the existing light fitting NOT the convertor.
The convertors do the job and are a reasonable price - what more can I ask for?

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Google Nexus 7 (1st Generation - 2012) (2 x Screen Protectors)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product with good instructions, 21 Oct 2013
It is ALWAYS a hassle putting on a screen protector!

Fortunately I watched the main video AND the one on removing dust particles with sellotape. I used Magic tape which worked well for me.

I would have been happier if it had not fitted quite so well as it left hardly any tolerance at all. As it was, I ended trimming off a minute section from two corners rather than refit again.
I was amazed as it looks perfect still.

I could not believe how well the Magic tape worked in removing dust particles. The time spent in my bathroom was very worth while but did take longer than expected. If your bathroom contains the only loo in the house warn others in the house before hand!!

Acer Original Liteon Charger With 19V 4.74A 90W Acer Aspire 5920G 6930G Aspire 6930 Aspire 6935 Aspire 7000 Aspire 7220

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bargin, 10 Jun 2012
Gives every indication of being the standard Acer product. Why pay several times the price for an adentical item from the Acer site as it works perfectly? A bargin.

English for the Spanish Speaker, Book 1
English for the Spanish Speaker, Book 1
by Kathleen Fisher

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent help in working with non-Spanish speaker, 10 Jun 2012
The book is not large but provides very useful material in working with a non-English speaker. Sadly the audio recording that is indended to provide extra assistance for the student is only available on a CD and not easily avaiable in the UK. It ould be ideal if it were offered as an mp3 available for download in the UK.

Seidio Innocell Extended Battery w/ Battery Cover for Google Nexus S GT-i9020
Seidio Innocell Extended Battery w/ Battery Cover for Google Nexus S GT-i9020
Offered by thebookcommunity_fba
Price: 67.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but beware of VAT, 15 July 2011
The product is good but it is delivered from the USA and I was charged an extra 15.13 by the post office, 7.13 VAT & 8.00 Post office charges.

Perhaps Amazon would consider warning customers where the goods are coming from outside the EU.

Vikuiti ARMR200 Screen Protector for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 - PREMIUM QUALITY (anti-reflective, scratch-resistant, easy mountable)
Offered by DISAGU protectionfilms
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent screen protector, 9 May 2011
The first thing I did after ordering my new camera, Lumix DMC TZ10, was to order the ARM200 Screen protector. As usual it went on easily but it helps to have it there to apply as soon as the camera is taken from its packing before it had a chance to aquire finger prints etc! I managed to aquire a tiny air bubble right at the edge outside the viewing area which seems to be over a minute speck of dust but one or two small bubbles within the viewing area just vanished over the next day just as advertised. Highly recommended!

Vikuiti ARMR200 Screen Protector for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 - PREMIUM QUALITY (anti-reflective, scratch-resistant, easy mountable)
Offered by DISAGU protectionfilms
Price: 7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars ARMR200 for TZ7 - Excellent, 15 April 2011
I fitted this protector 17 months ago. It was easy to put on although thgere was a tiny bubble at one edge that I ceased to notice. It has saved my screen several times, once from an incident that would probably would have badly scraped the unprotected screen yet caused no lasting damage to the protector. I am planning on buying another camera and will be ordering another protector at the same time as the camera. What more can I say?

Acronis True Image Home 2011:PC Backup and Recovery (PC)
Acronis True Image Home 2011:PC Backup and Recovery (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Appaling support for buggy software, 30 Oct 2010
I have used Acronis True Image for several years and am well used to dealing with software problems. Until the previous version 2010 I could get it to work and live with its irritations. This version, 2011, is appaling. What is worse is that you only get 30 days of support so you cannot even report problems with the software directly to Acronis after the first month - only via their forum.

I have uninstalled and reverted to version 2010.

Avoid like the proverbal plague.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD
Price: 61.97

5.0 out of 5 stars DG834G 4v5, 30 July 2010
After two Belikin WiFi ADSL routers that gave very poor range using my tower system, lapbook & netbook I was somewhat pessimistic with WiFi. This was not helped by rather mixed reception with my netbook with cafe WiFi in the UK & Latin America. I decided to give it one last try and went for the Netgear DG834G v5. No real problem in setting it up and every computer worked from the word GO.

It has confirmed my views that if there are problems it is more likely to be the WiFi Access point than the computer. Thanks NetGear.

Page: 1 | 2