Profile for R. Lee > Reviews

Content by R. Lee

R. Lee (North West England)

Page: 1 | 2
2.5 Ide To USB Hard Drive Caddy HDd Case Enclosure
2.5 Ide To USB Hard Drive Caddy HDd Case Enclosure
Offered by memorycapital

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Of The Year, 9 Mar. 2015
Bargain of the year! Ordered on Saturday and received on the Monday by First Class post. Plugged it in to my old Toshiba laptop IDE HD and Hey Presto! Worked first time. After I re-formatted the old HD I tried it out on my Windows 8.1 using both USB 2 and 3 ports and it worked perfectly.

Now I have a 40gb Plug and Play HD for the grand sum of £2.94. Cheaper than a burger and a coffee.

Great service.

Ukip Calypso
Ukip Calypso

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Beethoven, 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ukip Calypso (MP3 Download)
Absolutely fantastic! This original toe tapping tune has made me throw my entire collection of Beethoven in the dustbin.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2014 5:50 PM BST

The Car Man [DVD] [2001]
The Car Man [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Adventures In Motion Pictures

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Work Of Art, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Car Man [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
In a few words: A cracking piece of entertainment!

I'm not a lover of classical ballet but this hit all the right notes with the deployment of modern dance and a superb score along with a terrific set. I don't care less if it deviates from Bizet's music - I know that backwards - it is a tribute to Matthew Bourne and all the cast and musicians that he has created a classic and timeless piece of cinema.

I was spellbound from the very first frames. Having watched it once I immediately watched it again to fill in any empty spaces and that did the trick.

For me this is technically on par with the equally exciting version of Bizet's Carmen - U-Carmen eKhayelitsha by Mark Dornford-May. Thank goodness the Brits are so creative and imaginative.

I hope that the live performance comes to the North-West as I shall be ready and waiting to buy a ticket.

The Rascal and the Sparrow: Poulenc Meets Piaf
The Rascal and the Sparrow: Poulenc Meets Piaf

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 14 Mar. 2014
This is quite simply a brilliant recording. The arrangements of Piaf's music are quite remarkable. It is a pity that some of them are not available to listen on YouTube because if they were I am confident they would sell more CD's.

The interpretation of the famous song Non Je Ne Regrette Rien is worth the price of the the entire album. It is incredibly emotional and played by Antonio Pompa-Baldi with such feeling.

One of this year's best buys.

The Best Of Jonas Kaufmann
The Best Of Jonas Kaufmann
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 14 Feb. 2014
Never did I think there would be a singer who would topple Pavarotti off my personal podium of top rate tenors but Jonas Kaufmann has achieved this. This is a superb album and would make the perfect present for anybody who enjoys a selection of some of the finest songs sung by one of the world's greatest tenors.

Absolutely stunning performances.

Haydn: The Piano Sonatas
Haydn: The Piano Sonatas

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 19 Jan. 2014
Thank You Amazon for making this available. I am currently listening to each track. Beautiful playing. Sharp and crisp and full of life.

I had the misfortune to listen to Haydn's Sonatas being played on a Pianoforte. Oh my goodness! It was terrible! It was like listening to a mouse running up and down the stairs wearing a pair of hob nailed boots. Clunk, clunk, thump, thump. Pianoforte is more suitable as background music in a Middle Class Café. You know the sort. Twee tablecloths and napkins with everybody speaking in hushed tones so as not to drown out the thump, thump of the pianoforte or the nibbling of cast iron biscuits. It's only when you get the bill that you realise that not only have you had your musical taste assaulted but also your wallet!

I shall enjoy Ms. Derzhavina's delightful playing for many years to come. It is to be hoped that she never has to suffer the wicked noise of a pianoforte or one of those café's.

My apologies to all those who may have been expecting a clinical analysis of each work. I am delighted to say that I actually listen to music to enjoy it rather than fill up pages with waffle about codas, trills, minor keys, major keys and door keys.

Enjoy!

Blindness
Blindness
by Giovanni Pontiero

1.0 out of 5 stars When A Tree Is Worth More Than A Book, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Blindness (Paperback)
Some rave about it and a few others do not like it including myself. The effort to read it far surpassed any enjoyment. Here's why. He throws out all the conventions of the normal structures of a novel and uses a style which can best be described as irritating if not utterly pointless. Examples: on a number of occasions he uses more than one page without any paragraphs, full stops or commas. There are no italics for the internal voice, he doesn't bother indicating when the characters are speaking nor which character. If he was trying to write a novel in a style which has its own flowing internal energy then he failed miserably.

Given the foregoing it would be necessary for the story to be damn good to retain the reader's interest. Alas after a hundred pages or so it became very boring. At some points I felt as if the author was talking down to his readers - almost speaking to them as if they were illiterate peasants. Page after page was filled with clichés, epigraphs, proverbs and tired old sayings. Here's what I mean:

"For the moment that would be premature, think of the public alarm news of this kind would provoke. good grief, blindness isn't catching, Death isn't catching either yet nevertheless we all die."

Well fancy Mr. Saramago, I am glad you told us that 'we all die'. That has come as a revelation to me. I am humbly indebted. And so it goes on. He even had the audacity to use that dog eared and mangy saying "In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king." Oh for crying out aloud!

I'm always wary of authors who try - and invariably fail - to impose their cod philosophical views wrapped up in a story. It's all been done many times over and more often than not the insincerity flashes like a beacon. Having said that there are those who love such works and go to great lengths explaining to others all the nuances, themes, concealed ambiguities and whatever else you the ignorant reader have missed.

Rarely do I want to rush to the ending of a book but this was an exception. I was glad to throw it across the room. If one reduced it by a third, removed all the nonsense punctuation and idiosyncratic grammar it might just be readable but only just.

The moral of the story: because an author has been given the Nobel Prize for Literature doesn't mean that their works are in the least bit noble.

0/5

Tarantula: The Skin I Live In
Tarantula: The Skin I Live In
by Thierry Jonquet

1.0 out of 5 stars YAWN, 13 Oct. 2011
A very short book indeed. I agree with some of the other comments. It was stilted in parts. I've yet to see the film - usually the other way around for me - film then book.

My main gripe with the book is the Americanisation of French literature. Why Oh why must European books and authors be mutilated with American spellings and terminology? The French do not use the terms 'movie', 'fries' or 'rube'. It's nothing less that linguistic imperialism. As such the progression of the story is halted by these grave errors. Why not go the whole hog and set the story in the Bronx instead of Paris?

The ending can be predicted about a third from the final chapter. Not very good. Hopefully Almodovar's offering will be much better.

iPaq 200 210 212 214 USB Desk Cradle 2nd battery slot with UK AC mains charger for rapid charging

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 April 2011
Much better than the original HP Cradle. With this you can charge your ipaq and at the same time charge an extra battery. Charging the battery off the unit is much better as it allows you to use your ipaq. It is also very good for charging larger capacity batteries which fit in the same slot as the standard. You can't have the ipaq in the cradle at the same time as charging a larger battery. They are physically too big and get in the way but you can use the cradle and standard spare battery.

The charging lights are very clear and the connecting cables are of good quality.

Gomorrah: Italy's Other Mafia
Gomorrah: Italy's Other Mafia
by Roberto Saviano

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs Savage Editing - Maybe A Re-Write, 17 Nov. 2008
What could have been an excellent investigative book turns out to be a difficult to read book. The first chapter is riddled with metaphors and is written in such a florid style one begins to wonder if it is a different author. Maybe an author who was confused on whether he should be writing poetry or prose rather than hard fact.

Subsequent chapters are infused with far too many names and places for any reader to grasp. Once in a while there is a flash of light when the author concentrates on one character and gives an insight into his biography. Alas, these examples are too few.

I was disappointed that Saviano didn't focus enough on the politicians in Italy. If he was prepared to put his life on the line for naming a few psychopaths why didn't he go all the way and name key names in the political hierarchy?

It makes a saddening read, even more so to know that the psychopathic criminal gangs in Italy are responsible for 6% of the Italian GDP!

Saviano needs to read the works of some genuine investigative journalists such as John Pilger before he embarks on any more ventures. His emotive style ruined the book.

Finally. The book has convinced me that Italy is a 'basket case' and has fallen off my countries to visit.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2015 9:10 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2