Profile for S. Wager > Reviews

Content by S. Wager

S. Wager "swag72" (Bucks, UK)

KLOO's Learn to Speak Spanish Language Board Game - Race to Madrid
KLOO's Learn to Speak Spanish Language Board Game - Race to Madrid
Offered by KLOO Games
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational? Yes! with all the fun of a game, 17 Jun 2013
I have played this a few times now, generally with people who speak very little Spanish. The system for playing the card order is easy to pick up and sentences were being made in no time at all and words were being learnt at the same time. As a board game it worked and to have an educational game that works as a game where you don't feel you're actually learning anything is a bit of a master stroke!

I bought this as a general Sunday afternoon game to play with the family and it has won people round in every respect. There's also many different games to play that can be downloaded from the KLOO website, so there's always something for everyone.

There's ample opportunity for expansion as each box of cards relates to a specific topic. There could be literally loads of topics covering all sorts. I'd like to see slightly more verb differences. In the cards there's only the 'Tu' and 'vosotros' form of the verbs. This could be expanded hugely and with verbs as the back bone of any lingual experience I hope this will be considered.

I'd recommend this to people who fancy a game a little different to the norm and don't be scared if you don't speak the language, you will have a much better idea ofterwards, not only of specific words but also the basis of sentence construction.

Getting On - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Getting On - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jo Brand
Price: 11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A fairly slow but beautifully crafted piece of comedy, 6 Feb 2013
I watched one episode of this on TV as I quite like Jo Brand and to be honest found the whole episode slow and not particularly enjoyable. I didn't bother watching any more.

I bought the Box set for my family for Christmas and have to say that now I am really enjoying it. If you want belly laughs and a fast paced comedy then this is not for you. The whole thing has a subtle comedic value. At times it will have you smiling and just knowing that it's probably a very accurate portrayal of a changing NHS where targets and management decisions are more important that looking after patients.

A well written and well observed show. At times sad and tragic as you get to know the characters and their lives.

Not fast paced, not hilarious, but a subtle and fantastic portrayal of all that has gone wrong with the Health Service on the UK.

KAVAJ leather case cover "Hamburg" for the new Apple iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2 cognac brown - genuine leather with stand-up feature 5 angle
Offered by KAVAJ
Price: 59.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product and well made, 6 Feb 2013
I looked all over for a decent leather case for my iPad. I didn't want the synthetic leather that most manufacturers were offering. This case is perfect. The leather is of quality and it's all very well put together. The cut outs as well are in the right place, for example the camera cut out does not obstruct at all as I have seen in cheaper cases. It stands up to a good viewing angle.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone willing to pay a few extra 's who wants a decent leather case to protect their iPad.

Read And Think Spanish (Book): The Editors of Think Spanish Magazine: Learn the Language and Discover the Culture of the Spanish-Speaking World Through Reading
by Ed'S Of Think Spanish

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for language building and speaking spanish, but ..........., 20 Aug 2011
I bought this book as I am learning spanish and wanted to try as many different ways as possible. Along with classes and working through a couple of spanish textbooks, this is quite a fun and unintimidating method of learning. I would not call myself a total beginner, but do think that this is perhaps a little too much if you have no previous spanish knowledge.

Onto the 'but ................'. Living in Spain, I want something that is based on spanish for Spain and not spanish for South America. My spanish friend has looked at this and commented that there are many phrases / words that are not normal for Spain. The book has some articles about Spain, but the majority are about South American countries. This is why I scored it 4, I would like to have something in the same vein for the European market and not the American one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2012 8:06 PM BST

Photoshop CS3 for Dummies (For Dummies)
Photoshop CS3 for Dummies (For Dummies)
by Peter Bauer
Price: 12.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly for Dummies, 13 Nov 2008
I bought this as I have little or no knowedge of post processing. I have fiddled with photoshop before and was looking for a book that would tell me how I could do what I wanted. This does not do that at all.

For example - I was looking at how to open a layer - I would like a book, with screen shots saying press here and open this. This book does not operate in this way.

There is lots of info, but no step by step guides on how to undertake the most basic post processing before you step up to the more difficult tasks.

If you want a real guide, then don't waste your money. I am sure that this book has a purpose, but it certainly isn't aimed at total newbies to CS3 unlike the title, which would suggest it is.

All in all, a total disappointment that for me does not do what the title suggests. Wish I'd never wasted my monet to be honest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2009 10:50 PM GMT

Philips HP6503 Satinelle Ice Premium Epilator With Charging Stand & Washable Head

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too painful and great to use, 16 July 2008
I was a little worried about this product as I remember trying epilators in the 1990's and it really hurt! I did some research on amazon to check out if it really did hurt as much as I thought it would - decided to give it a go.

1) Saved 20 by buying from a well known auction site - brand new, sealed and boxed.

2) Did not hurt as much as I thought - In fact, didn't hurt much on my legs at all. I would say less than waxing, especially as my 2nd leg always hurt far more than the 1st!

3) Keep the ice part in the freezer so I can use it at any time.

4) Legs feel smooth - really happy with the closeness of it.

5) Haven't tried any more sensitive areas - Ouch!! Maybe I'll have a go soon!!

The fear of the pain was my main concern - Don't be worried. A great product for a good price and if you do get your legs waxed in a salon, then you've seen your money back after a couple of goes! Go for it!!

Mediterranean Garden Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Over 350 Plants
Mediterranean Garden Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Over 350 Plants
by L. Cavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my spanish garden!, 9 July 2008
This is a great book for those who need to know the plants that will grow in Mediterranean gardens. The layout is excellent, with each plant having a half page picture, then a summary about height, water, etc etc. On the opposite page is some info about the plant for pruning, soil, history, all sorts really.

Clearly laid out in alphabetical order, it also has the spanish name - invaluable if like me you want it for spain. This has enabled me to plan and plant some great shrubs in the right places and knowing whether they would shed their leaves and how much care they need.

If, like me, you are a bit of a novice, this will give a great introduction to 350 plants that can really make the most of your garden.

Assassin's Creed (PS3)
Assassin's Creed (PS3)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 10.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Suits my busy life!!, 9 Dec 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
There are lots of people saying that the gameplay on this is too simplistic and it is repetative, there is little skill involved in the eavesdropping and pick pocket missions. Personally this suits me down to the ground.

Many years ago I was a great gamer. I could play for hours and master all the skill and moves involved. Now life has overtaken this. Work and home life ensures that while in my heart I enjoy playing games, I really do not have the time to master the complexities these days.

The graphics are breathtaking. The controls are simple and I can pick it up after a week and still play the game. I can see an end to it (having completed 5 assassinations so far). Recently I sell games when they get too complicated or difficult to play after weeks away.

If you are a gamer at heart, but feel that you can not give the hours to master tricky moves etc then I would recommend this to you.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2009 4:14 PM BST

The Sims 2 (PSP)
The Sims 2 (PSP)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 12.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but loading times drive you crazy, 29 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Sims 2 (PSP) (Video Game)
I have enjoyed the Sims on the GBA for some time, and so was really looking forward to this for the PSP. I have to say, I have really enjoyed it, just like it should be.
Pick your sim, clothe it and watch it interact with others - Fantastic.
HOWEVER - The loading times are mad, and have driven me crazy. I have to say for me this has really affected the game.
Also, in order to learn secrets you have to 'flirt'. As a female sim, I do not enjoy watching her kissing and cuddling other women! Hey ho, some may like it!!
All in all a good game, but ruined by the loading times.