Profile for balsaworks > Reviews

balsaworks

Lord James Harrington and the Christmas Mystery: Volume 5
Lord James Harrington and the Christmas Mystery: Volume 5
by Mrs Lynn Florkiewicz

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written and entertaining if you enjoy this genre of crime novels, 24 Jan. 2016
Well written and entertaining if you enjoy this genre of crime novels, with lots of British tradition (quite of bit of food) and pleasant (if slightly stereotypical) characters. I liked it but will turn to something a little more gripping for my next read.

Case Histories: (Jackson Brodie)
Case Histories: (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 6 April 2015
This was a new acquaintance for me, having never read a Kate Atkinson novel before. I struggled through the first chapters and thought; "Oh no, not another Elizabeth George who wants to develop her writing routine into real psychology, with endless tedious and boring descriptions of dreary and dysfunctional families in various constellations". Well I'm glad I persisted because, although there were some over-long passages that I skimmed over, the text improved.
K.A. has some interesting psychological insights and a good dose of humor - both of which are conspicuously missing in Ms. George's novels.
I thoroughly enjoyed K.A.'s no-nonsense, slightly drastic humor. A nice warm and humane outlook on people too, gripping without being sentimental. The plot was intriguing and made it difficult to put down the book towards the end, although all the threads perhaps didn't unravel entirely to my liking (do they ever?). A highly recommended crime novel.

The Berlin Novels
The Berlin Novels
by Christopher Isherwood

1.0 out of 5 stars "Berlin" novels?, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Berlin Novels (Paperback)
I had just read books by Philip Kerr and David Downing, who both describe pre- to post- WW2 Berlin very vividly and convincingly. I then came across this by book by Isherwood and read the Amazon reviews - but not carefully enough it seems. It seemed like a book that might provide a feel for the pre-WW2 atmosphere i Berlin. Well. I found it totally ridiculous, shallow and pointless. The people it describes, in tedious and boring detail, are ludicrous.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 11:05 PM BST

Fifty Cars that Changed the World: Design Museum Fifty
Fifty Cars that Changed the World: Design Museum Fifty
by Design Museum Enterprise Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh views on cars, 20 Aug. 2012
This is a type of book which often caught my attention as a young boy, and surprisingly it even has the same layout as the books I remember from the 60's - not too big & flashy, with a sparsely coloured yet attractive cover. Perhaps not what you would expect today from a coffee table book but I think it is charming.
The contents is equally refreshing, with a slightly different perspective. The focus is on design solutions - not so much on contest performance and the well known racing car icons - but rather on ideas which have brought new thinking into car design, both with respect to function and to form.
The choice of automotive milestones can always be debated but I found the selection of cars in this book to quite well made and very interesting. The text is short but very informative and to the point.
I have learned much from this book and I like it a lot.