Profile for Mr. Antonio Cavaldoro > Reviews

Content by Mr. Antonio Ca...

Mr. Antonio Cavaldoro (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Only Revolutions
Only Revolutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware Fanboys Bringing Moans, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: Only Revolutions (Audio CD)
I'm obviously not a proper fan, because I love this album. To me you could drop any track onto any of the Biff's first three records and it'd not seem hugely out of place. I know that the trendy thing to say is that this really isn't as good as the early albums and that they've sold out. I tried desperately not to like it, but as with all of their albums there are enough moments of toe-tapping clever pop rock that it's impossible to warm to it, unless you're trying to prove a point. If I had to come up with a criticism of this (or indeed any of the previous three albums) it is that they don't change the format enough. But then again, when they seem to be able to spill out such a lot of wonderful product, you might ask why they should.

ROBERTS ColourSTREAM DAB/FM/WiFi Internet Radio with Dock for iPod and Colour Touch Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 13 Feb 2011
I'm just delighted with this gizmo. As someone who's not too technical I get really frustrated by products with poor manuals and that seem to assume a degree in computer science.

This was not the case here, after a quick flick through the clearly written manual I popped the thing on, linked it to my broadband and set the time. So far so good, but surely steaming music from my PC and laptop was going to be tricky? Nope, within five minutes I was happily listening to my tunes. Internet radio was also a breeze to operate, and without having to go back to the manual I was merrily listening to my favourite podcasts. I'd also plugged my MP3 in and had that blasting out too. I'm not an Apple fan, but it would have been easier with an ipod as there's a built in dock. Also hooked it up to Last.FM which is a pretty nifty service too.

The item itself is a good solid block like a piece of hifi kit should be and the speakers have a decent of grunt. Needs a bit of fiddling to get the settings right for music vs talk, but I'd expect that ofd course. All in all I really cannot find fault. If I was being picky I'd say it's slightly irritating that if I'm listening to a podcast and stop half way through that it can't remember where I was up to, but that's not a massive issue.

Resident Evil: 5 - Platinum Edition (PS3)
Resident Evil: 5 - Platinum Edition (PS3)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

1.0 out of 5 stars Resident Flaws, 20 Jan 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
After many years of playing games, I've finally got one that I just cannot be bothered to complete. There's many things wrong with it - the often mentioned non-playing companion who bumbles around wasting ammo and getting in your way was a dreadful idea. The story is stupid even by game standards, and I found myself completely un-engaged. The weapons interface is a pain, too. Switching weapons is irritating, moving and shooting isn't possible. There's also some dire pacing: one part sees a zombie thing driving a truck at you. To stop him you need to pop some explosive barrels. All standard enough, except that each time you have to do a bit of a walk and a jump, then go through a long cut scene and, if you miss, which you probably will a few times, you're going to see again and again. This is an ongoing feature of the game. Anyway, I got about 2/3s of the way through and thought, "why am I wasting my time with this joyless game" and put it on Ebay.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2011 10:37 AM GMT

Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood (PS3)
Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Ol' Fun, 20 Jan 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is a reasonable title. In the next-gen age the graphics are fine, but won't knock your socks off. The story is the usual hokey stuff, but it moves along well and keeps you interested. There's a few nice touches along the way (such as using the right stick to simulate pulling back the hammer on a revolver) and the fact that you can choose to play one of two brothers, who go about their task in a different way, so there's some replay value. The gameplay itself is relatively repetitive although there's a few interludes (canoe, canon and horse sections along with duels, which are a little samey). There's nothing groundbreaking in the gameplay, but one thing that I did like about it vis a vis many first person shooters, is the fact that it was always pretty clear what the game wanted me to do next. This means that there's limited scope for wandering around doing your own thing, but completely cuts out the frustratingly frequent gaming experience of wandering around not having a clue what you're supposed to do next. Another positive is that the non-playing brother is a useful and logically playing companion - this is in stark contrast to some other games, notably Resident Evil 5 where your partner is an idiot who seems to spend most of her time getting in your way and wasting your ammo.

Stalker! Chris Walker: The Autobiography
Stalker! Chris Walker: The Autobiography
by Chris Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Stalktastic, 14 Dec 2010
It's rare that you read a sportsman's autobiography that you find yourself left with such a positive view. Chris comes across as an intensely down to earth and likeable character. He holds up his hand when he makes a mistake, he seems genuinely enthused by his successes and genuinely deflated by his setbacks, of which there have been many. Along the way there's many an amusing scrape in a tale that contains plenty tragedy.

How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
by Richard Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars How Not to Review a Book, 30 Sep 2010
This is actually one of the best autobiographies that I've read (and for some reason, I read a lot). Herring's main strength is his honesty, not shirking from admitting things that put him in a less than favourable light. He does this in a very readable way with his trademark (sometimes caustic) humour, showing some surprising common sense and insight. Of late I've found myself following his dietary advice, which is probably inadvisable since he's a slightly chubby comedian who reflects that he's not grown up. Overall it ticks all the boxes; funny, insightful and easy to read.

Lost: Season 1-6 [DVD]
Lost: Season 1-6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Evangeline Lily

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost the Plot, 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: Lost: Season 1-6 [DVD] (DVD)
Lost is much better watched over the period it was screened. That way you're less liable to remember details and spot the gaping plot holes. The mysterious story of the numbers kind of meanders off half way through and is conveniently brushed under the carpet. The polar bear gets a brief explanation, but doesn't really put in much more of an appearance. The tale of Michael and the creepy Walt is never really resolved (probably because the kid grew up over 6 years) and the significance of the medium's fear over Claire's child is simply Lost. I'm sure everyone knows this by now, the end is the kind of utter garbage you'd expect a ten year old who'd taken his story down a blind alley to come up with. Over the years it had me gripped at times with its genius, but the overall narrative is fairly poor and doesn't hang together. It's like enjoying a crossword, but not being able to finish and then finding out that the creator made a few mistakes early on and published a solution that involves several letters going into one box. I'd say buy the first 4 series and then try and forget about it. Watching the rest isn't going to make it any clearer and unless you have a low attention span and can miss the poor scripting, you're going to get a little irritated that you wasted time and money on it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2010 2:47 PM GMT

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Guns Of The Patriots Platinum (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Guns Of The Patriots Platinum (PS3)
Offered by Global Xpress

3.0 out of 5 stars Expectations Exceed Reality, 20 April 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
On the back of hundreds of fanboy reviews I was very excited to get this game, but unfortunately it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Why?

1) The look and feel is great, it's fantastic the way the cutscenes merge into the gameplay. There's hours of play and a fair amount of variety. However the AI really lets it down. You're breaking into a base and you get rumbled. The enemy soldier gets an exclamation mark above his head and goes for you. If you manage to get away and hide, he'll forget all about you and you'll probably be able to pick him off. You'll also get patrols just wandering past you without really noticing you. Also, if I were a highly trained combat soldier and I saw a couple of my mates getting taken out I'd not wander over to their corpse and stand there inviting a bullet.
2) The cutscenes and story. I'd heard about these and I really welcomed the filmic aspects of the game. While these are well acted and beautifully produced MY GOD THEY'RE DULL. Anything that could be said in 5 minutes is spun out over an hour. It's pretty poor story telling - if they'd tried to do this as a movie it'd never have flown, no studio would have got close to such dull, pointlessly long dialogue. The story itself is at times intriguing, at times it seems as if it's been devised by an overactive 6 year old. It swings back and forth, with old themes of love and betrayal clunkily handled. Liquid, the patriots, Drebin, they're all in it, but I kind of switched off with boredom at times. To give you an idea of the level of dullness - there's around 2 hours worth of nonsense after you finish! That's a whole movie not an epilogue. If it were as engaging as the Wire you don't mind the complexity, but it's sadly just a bit silly and drawn out.
3. A lot's made of the stealth aspect, but the game's pretty easy to just blaze your way through, killing everyone. As you can buy more weapons and ammo as you go, at any point, you might as well just blast your way out. If it had been trickier to get weapons and ammo, it'd have been better. How a man in a skintight suit has access to every weapon known to man, isn't really explained.

So in short, could have been the best game of all time, but got a bit indulgent and silly.

Oz - Complete Season 1-6 [DVD]
Oz - Complete Season 1-6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harold Perrineau Jr
Offered by Tooboon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV Starts Here, 27 Jan 2010
I gave up on Oz during series 3 as Channel4 moved the show around so much I frequently missed episodes. Anyway, this boxed set was a great find as it was a show I'd always liked and wished I'd seen right through. As a massive fan of The Wire I knew that Oz was a big influence, and that the two shared a number of actors (although I'd not realised quite how much).

With it's (very) gritty storylines and unique set (actors were pretty cooped up), it is not like anything that had been seen before. The story telling is also off beat: the show is narrated by wheelchair bound Augustus Hill, from a perspex cube, from which he offers insights and facts. It somehow works.

As a small criticism it the first half is stronger than the second, as the set pieces get a bit repetitive, but overall it's a wonderful mix of prison show, soap, experimental drama, soap and ultra-violence.

W. Axl Rose: The Unauthorized Biography
W. Axl Rose: The Unauthorized Biography
by Mick Wall

2.0 out of 5 stars Get in the Ring, 21 Jan 2010
There are a number of problems with this, largely caused by Wall's delusion. In common with most Kerrang journalists of the day he convinced himself that he was friends with the bands that they wrote about. Against this background he is clearly very put out that Axl "fell out" with him and the book is essentially a long whine about this lost, unrequited friendship. There are numerous, very basic factual errors that prove he couldn't be bothered to do his basic research properly (Slash came from London, did he? Nikki Sixx's autobiography is "The Dirt", is it? That's funny, when I read it, I thought it was a book about the whole of Motley Crue and isn't written by Sixx, at all). The book itself tells the interesting tale of GnR's rise and fall, largely through already published material, which is a shame. Throughout Wall constantly drops in bits like "Steven told me" and "while talking to Duff", forgetting to mention that it was during interviews. They're not your chums, which is why you didn't have enough access to generate any new material for this book, Mick. The fact that he's so excited about having boiled eggs with Axl's brother speaks for itself. All of that said it's an interesting story, somewhat spoiled as a result of being lazily put together by a journalist who over-estimates his own part in the tale.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7