Profile for Taekwon > Reviews

Content by Taekwon

Taekwon "Seamus" (Belfast)

Page: 1 | 2
Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Apply the Astonishing Power of Positive Reinforcement
by Aubrey C. Daniels

3.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting better but give it a go, 10 April 2013
This book is technically good and contains great information. I just thought it was a difficult read, not easily followed, though this may be my fault rather than the fault of the author

If This Is a Man / The Truce
If This Is a Man / The Truce
by Primo Levi

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening, 10 April 2013
An excellent thought provoking read. Really makes you appreciate that no matter how bad life seems to be it can always get worse. What a blessing it is to live in a free society.

The Depression Cure: The Six-Step Programme to Beat Depression Without Drugs
The Depression Cure: The Six-Step Programme to Beat Depression Without Drugs
by Dr Steve Ilardi

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for my wife, 16 Mar. 2013
She liked the book and tried out some of the advice. As a result she feels a lot better and has given up smoking

The Oxford History of the Biblical World
The Oxford History of the Biblical World
by Michael D. Coogan

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm no historian, 16 Mar. 2013
This book is probably very good for an amateur historian rather than general interest ; it needs studied rather than read

The Jewish Study Bible: featuring The Jewish Publication Society TANAKH Translation
by Adele Berlin

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i've bought in ages, 16 Mar. 2013
The notes and essays provided encourage a thirst for the wisdom that is hidden in The Bible.I have found it interesting that Jews welcome argument about interpretation as opposed to rigid dogma and it is this feature that turns The Bible from a dogma into a living breathing book. I am not a Jew but they are a very special people and we have much to learn from them. I love the teachings of Rabbi Sacks (try his books out) and I purchased this book to learn more. I wasn't disappointed.

Invention and Evolution: Design in Nature and Engineering
Invention and Evolution: Design in Nature and Engineering
by Michael French

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Feb. 2013
I'd lost my love for engineering but this book has put me back on track. Well written and a reminder that the engineers real job is to make the world a better place.

Ancient Wisdom, Modern World: Ethics for the New Millennium
Ancient Wisdom, Modern World: Ethics for the New Millennium
by His Holiness The Dalai Lama

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't really know what to make of this book, 23 Feb. 2013
An enjoyable enough book, I was edging towards a 4 because it is written with the best of intentions but something was missing that i can't quite put my finger on

The Great Partnership
The Great Partnership
by Jonathan Sacks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great read, 10 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Great Partnership (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book,especially chapters 5-10;What we stand to lose without religion, human dignity,politics of freedom,relationships.As a catholic, I disagree with some of the content e.g. the Greek/Hebrew right/left brain argument, but this is not important;it is only a theory but the middle third of the book is where the meaningful and I think prophetic content lies. After reading the book, I read it again, more insightful revelation jumps out at every sitting and I still feel I haven't read the book properly.The author is a wise man, a rabbi in the true sense of the word, very down to earth and I thank him for the book, it has taken a lot of effort and study, judging by the footnotes and acknowledgements.

Page: 1 | 2