Profile for A. Dean > Reviews

The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury
The Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury
by Betty Bard MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all, 17 Dec 2013
I am reading this to my 8 year old kids and we all love it. It is full of stories about children who have bad habits or misbehave in various ways and the remedies that Mrs Piggle-Wiggle comes up with the cure them. I am always on the lookout for parenting tips, while my kids enjoy finding out about others who share their habits. Good light-hearted fun!

Avenir Universal Rear Pannier - Black, 23 Litres
Avenir Universal Rear Pannier - Black, 23 Litres
Price: 26.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, 17 Dec 2013
I was a but dubious about this bag and would have liked a more colourful one, but this had good reviews. It is very roomy and the carry handle on top makes it easy to carry by hand. The clips are a bit temperamental. I find the top two unclip quite easily most of the time, but I was battling with the lower one. Now I hook it partly round the rack bar but don't clip it on. It stays in place and then I don't have to spend ages trying to release it. I like the mesh zip pocket on the inside of the top- good for keys. The outside top pocket is roomy enough for lights.

I was also worried about my balance and uneven loading having a pannier only on one side, but I don't even notice it is there.

Schneider Slider Memo XB Ballpoint Pen - Black
Schneider Slider Memo XB Ballpoint Pen - Black
Offered by Sorte
Price: 17.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Allows speedy writing, 17 Dec 2013
I was given a free sample of one of these and found it was brilliant. The pen slides over the paper easily allowing me to write long medical reports quicker than I was doing before. The ink is clear and doesn't smudge. Would last a long time if my family didn't keep pilfering them!

Schneider Slider Memo XB 150201 Ballpoint Pen Black Pack of 10
Schneider Slider Memo XB 150201 Ballpoint Pen Black Pack of 10
Price: 18.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pen, 27 Jan 2013
I got sent one of these free with another order. I write medical reports and was looking for a pen that helps me write as fast as possible. This seems to do the trick. It is comfortable to hold and glides accross the paper. Also the ink seems to last quite well.

Learning Resources PlayFoam 6 Pack - Remoldable Sculpting Beads
Learning Resources PlayFoam 6 Pack - Remoldable Sculpting Beads
Offered by Beststickers
Price: 12.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 4 Jun 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This stuff is made up of thousands of tiny foam balls which stick to eachother with some sort of stretchy transparent gluely substance. You can mould large shapes out of it, but sausage shaped objects tend to fall apart easily. After a day of playing with it the kids inevitably mixed the colours together.Once you join 2 different colours together e.g. to put eyes on a creature, you have to spend hours separating out each individual foam ball if you want to keep the colours separate. A few balls have separated out from the rest and are turning up around the house, so it is not as clean as is claimed.
I will stick to plasticine or play dough in the future.

Alex Toys Cotton Clay-tivity
Alex Toys Cotton Clay-tivity

1.0 out of 5 stars No good, 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: Alex Toys Cotton Clay-tivity (Toy)
Got this very cheaply. Packaging is nice and inspirational. However, the clay we recieved must have been very old and was already dried out. One piece was totally solid and the others could barely be used. It certainly could not be rolled or stretched as claimed on the box. The accessories that come with it; 2 colour pencils, some pipe cleaners, straws, fridge magnets & 2 key chains were at least in good condition and we will be able to use these for other craft projects.

New Balance Women's Hiking Shoe Waterproof
New Balance Women's Hiking Shoe Waterproof

5.0 out of 5 stars great shoes, 1 May 2011
I have had these for a year and am very happy with them. They are waterproof trekking through muddy paths. I have not done any serious hiking in them, but they stood up well for everything I have done. Very comfortable from day one. Also smart enough to wear as casual every day shoes. I bought a size 41 when I normally wear 40.

On Robin Hill: A Red Level ELF Book (ELF Books)
On Robin Hill: A Red Level ELF Book (ELF Books)
by Jescott Bodkin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but where are the rest of the series?, 16 April 2010
I went to the ELF website to help understand why this book was written with the story in lower case one way round and then if you turn it upside down and start at the back, it is the same story in uppercase (but with black and white pictures, not colour as at the front). The reason for this seems to be that beginning readers find it easier if upper case and lower case are not mixed. The book looks lovely and with a story the kids can read and feel they have achieved something with big words like umbrella. There are meant to be 6 books at this level, but I cannot find the other 5 anywhere! The next level up (orange) also only has one out of 5 of the series on Amazon, while yellow and green (where uppercase and lowercase are finally mixed and the book only reads in one direction) are nowhere to be found! I understand that this is newly developed and later books haven't been written yet, but the earlier books should be out by now. This series of books scores higher than any other like Oxford Reading Tree (which we have tried), Peter and Janet & John (which I learned from) and Jolly Phonics on the Rose review, which lays down criteria for successful reading books. I would buy more of these books if they were available!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2011 2:30 PM GMT

Hutchinson Treasury Of Fairy Tales
Hutchinson Treasury Of Fairy Tales
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 25 Jan 2010
I bought this for my 4 year olds. So far I like it best out of the fairy tales books we have; Dk first fairy tales and others. Each story is retold by a different writer and illustrator. There are some of our favourites like Val Biro and Rachel Isadora. The stories are not watered down, like in some collections- Little Red Riding Hood and two of the three pigs do get eaten by the wolf and all of Henny Penny's friends are eaten by the fox.
My kids love it and want to read story after story. It is a good follow on from 20th century children's literature treasury. The stories are arranged in order of length and complexity, so those towards the end of the book may be more suitable for slightly older children.

Psalms for Young Children
Psalms for Young Children
by Marie-Helen Delval
Price: 10.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 3 Oct 2009
I found this book after much searching. As all the children's Bibles I have come across do not include the Psalms, this book helps to fill that gap. It has 40 paraphrased Psalms in it, with large print on one page and a beautiful illustration on the next page (similar stlye to the front cover). Psalm 1, for example, is paraphrased: "When I listen to you, God, when I do what you ask me to, I am like a tree planted by a river, a tree full of fruit with leaves that are always green."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4