Profile for CharDixon > Reviews

Content by CharDixon

CharDixon

Caught in a Moment (The Alex Trueman Chronicles Book 1)
Caught in a Moment (The Alex Trueman Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting, intillectually stimulating, 30 Nov 2012
Imagine if when you were idly daydreaming you suddenly realized that everything around you had stopped. That you were now caught in a time between moments.
This is the world that Martin Dukes creates.
Alex Trueman is a 15 year old boy who ends up in this moment. The existence he finds is surreal and full of oddities. Who knew that manatees could fly.
I will be honest this book wasn't an easy read .I spent the first few pages unsure of whether I was going to like it or not. Dukes is not shy about showing off his flair for language. He has a singular knack for threading words together into intricate descriptions that tend toward the grandiose. They are beautiful, but sometimes a bit distracting. Pair this with the rather indirect storytelling method and the reader must pay close attention. I personally enjoyed this challenge. This is not a book for light, turn your brain off, spread it over a few weeks reading. It is an intense read. It is also set in England and as such has some turns of phrase and ideas that require a second glance from an American to truly get. Luckily I am married to a Englishman and had some 2nd hand experience with some of these cultural concepts.
The story in and of itself is fascinating. I have read a lot of books and have never come across this story line before - or anything really similar. A world existing within ours and yet separate. A world where time as we understand it has no meaning. Peopled with people who aren't even sure how or why they are there.
I enjoyed discovering the quirks and realities of the realm as much as the character driven storyline itself. As you discover more about how this moment world is created you are also forced to reevaluate how you feel about the characters you have already met and most likely formed a like or dislike for.
As this supposed to be part of a trilogy, I am looking forward to the next book. Hopefully Dukes will delve deeper into the realms he hinted at and briefly introduced in this book.
This is an intriguing and mentally stimulating book. It was nice to come across a book that did not hide that it would require you to think and work for the reward of the great story it is. As I said this is not a casual read and there is nothing wrong with that.

I was provided a free copy of this book for the purpose of reviewing it.