Profile for BB > Reviews

Rick Stein: From Venice to Istanbul
Rick Stein: From Venice to Istanbul
by Rick Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it!, 26 April 2016
I normally hate those tv programmes where chefs are 'on their travels' and cooking enroute but having caught a bit of this Rick Stein series I thought it was excellent and it spurred me on to want to try some of the recipes. Stein is unpretentious and down-to-earth and this is reflected in his simple but delicious, straightforward recipes where the accent seems to be primarily on great flavour. So I'm enjoying both the tv programme and this book.

A Modern Way to Cook
A Modern Way to Cook
by Anna Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab veggie cookbook, 26 April 2016
This review is from: A Modern Way to Cook (Hardcover)
I bought this with Anna Jones' 'A modern way to eat'. A bit overkill of me to buy two vegetarian cookbooks at one sitting but I am so glad I did. Terrific veggie recipes, clearly set out, not too many ingredients, no daft ingredients, but innovative, yet mostly simple and easy recipes I can't wait to cook. I think good veggie recipes are hard to find. I still use Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Cookery and my other favourites include the Riverford Farm cookbook plus two you don't generally see much in bookshops by Bill Sewell called Food from the Place Below and Feasts from the Place Below, both of which I use all the time and really rate. But Anna Jones' books are super and perfect if you want to eat more healthily too.

A Modern Way to Eat
A Modern Way to Eat
by Anna Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb recipes I actually want to cook, 26 April 2016
This review is from: A Modern Way to Eat (Hardcover)
Fantastic book, full of vegetarian recipes I actually want to cook. Particularly like the clear layout too.

ECCO Yura, Women's Multisport Outdoor Shoes, Birch, 5 UK
ECCO Yura, Women's Multisport Outdoor Shoes, Birch, 5 UK
Offered by Runmarkt

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb fit and love the stretchy bit! And a great price., 18 April 2016
I bought a pair of these at what I assume is the full price in a shop in Totnes, Devon (£135) but saw them online much cheaper and decided to get a second pair as they're such a particularly good fit and very comfortable. I particularly like the stretchy bit that goes across the top of the foot as I find that I normally have real problems with lace-ups in that if I don't tie them really tightly I end up with knee and back issues. This stretchy bit means that it gives my foot a fantastic good bit of extra support without me having to constantly re-tie the shoelaces to make them tighter. It's such a clever idea and I haven't seen it in any other shoes. I did think they might end up being uncomfortable as they look quite narrow in fit and normally I go for wider shoes, but the stretchy bit makes them incredibly comfortable and after wearing them solidly for a couple of weeks they're still perfect. The narrow fit makes my feet look long and slim when they're not. I didn't think I'd find another pair of shoes I would like as much as my Brasher Sightseers but they've stopped making those sadly so I'm glad I found these. They're more trainer-like than the sturdy Brasher proper walking shoes, but they're more than adequate for most walking situations and smart enough to wear daily for most occasions too. (Anyone who knows the Brasher Sightseer shoe will know they're really wide fitting and quite different from these in that regard, so it's amazing in a way that these fit so well, but they do).Nice colour too! And what a bargain compared to the first pair I paid top whack for.

2016 WEEK TO VIEW A6 DIARY - PURPLE HARDBACK - 3474
2016 WEEK TO VIEW A6 DIARY - PURPLE HARDBACK - 3474
Offered by Card Outlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and fantastic value, 18 April 2016
I've tried out loads of diaries over the years of every size and type but this little gem is a delight. It's simple, sturdy, really slim so fits into a small handbag/bag and is just hugely convenient and practical. Plus I love the colour (they do a variety of colours I think). The extra pages are really useful too - for accounts, notes etc. It's by far my favourite diary and it's ludicrously good value. I bought the first one of these I had in a shop in Chagford, Devon in black and liked it so much I wanted to get a second one and tracked down the make on amazon though I had to scroll down loads of diaries before I found it. Can't understand why I haven't seen them before. They should be everywhere!

Thomas Cromwell: The untold story of Henry VIII's most faithful servant
Thomas Cromwell: The untold story of Henry VIII's most faithful servant

4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly enjoyed it, 1 Feb. 2016
I enjoyed this book but though I was rather dismissive of other people's criticisms of Borman's frequent use of 'olde English' in the text, I must admit that in the end it did spoil my enjoyment a bit and crucially my understanding of what were often the most critical parts of the story. I can't really understand why the modern English equivalent was not provided at least somewhere. Though most was more or less understandable if I concentrated hard, I didn't really want to have to make that effort as it interrupted the flow for me to have to read it several times, and sometimes I just couldn't be sure my understanding of it was correct. This was annoying especially as the passages were often critically important letters to or from or about Cromwell at key points in the story. I felt that it would put off someone who might be coming to the book as a history novice (as I am), which is a shame as a history book should surely invite the reader in and make it very accessible. Having said that, it was otherwise easy to read and covered all the bases.

Tudors: A History of England Volume II
Tudors: A History of England Volume II

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Feb. 2016
I moved on to this after ready Tracy Borman's biog of Cromwell. I hated 'history' at school, decades ago, so I've come to it rather late in life and can't imagine now why I used to find it 'boring'! Ackroyd is a brilliant writer and I loved his biog of Dickens. This book is highly readable, and for me it's his choice of the detail he includes that makes it shine. Ackroyd really brings the subject to life with the extraordinary insights into Tudor life and goings-on. A gripping read and I look forward to reading the other two books in this series. I'm reading them out of order as I wanted to quickly build on what I'd read in Borman's book and Hilary Mantel's marvellous Wolf Hall. Of the three writers, Ackroyd is my favourite.

The Behavioural Biology of Chickens
The Behavioural Biology of Chickens
by Christine Nicol

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, authoritative and up to date, 27 Nov. 2015
This is a fantastic book if you want an authoritative book about chickens, their biology, behaviour and welfare. It would be invaluable for vets and farmers as it's research-led (the author is Professor of Veterinary Science at the University of Bristol) and also for anyone who's involved in designing housing for poultry. The author cites a massive amount of up to date research but it's highly readable. Even if you just keep a few hens in your garden or on a smallholding it would be of interest, especially if you want more detail than you'd find in a 'smallholding' guide to keeping hens. I purchased this book to compare the pros and cons of caged, barn, free-range and organic systems and found it thoroughly engaging and interesting. It was a revelation to learn about the welfare challenges farmers have to consider when choosing to keep free-range laying hens for example. And there is a wealth of information about both laying hens and broiler chickens. Highly recommended.

SHARKK® Aluminum Wallet RFID Protected Aluma Wallet Rugged Water Resistant Card Holder (Blue)
Offered by SHARKK UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky and fun, 17 Nov. 2015
I like this. It's quite chunky and despite other reviewers having difficulty with the closing catch, it seems okay to me. It doesn't have room for many cards which is a bit of an issue if you want to store your loyalty cards etc along with your credit cards, given you use them at the same time, so I bought two different types of these wallets, this one and another, a Kinzd in aluminium. Of the two I prefer this one's colour and innards and I quite like the chunkiness. The electric blue is very striking and fun. Several checkout people have commented on it as being lovely and asked me where I got it. The other one is smarter, more grown up and thinner, (though might look a bit like an old cigarette case which slightly puts me off it) but it's neater to store in a handbag and definitely more suited to a pocket in a jacket compared to this one, but the innards bit that holds the cards feels like it maybe a tiny bit less durable long term in the Kinzd but it's fine so far. I'm using that for secondary cards like my driving licence, railcard etc. Using two wallets sort of makes it a bit daft but they're so different that if I have to have two wallets to hold all the cards, then they might as well be different so I don't forget which is which. I wouldn't make a chunkier version of either that would hold maybe 12 cards. A great improvement on my old wallet where i had to keep several out of date cards in in to stop the newer versions falling out. I think both are good value. Can't believe I've written all this about something so trivial. I need to get out more!!

The Desert and the Sown: The Syrian Adventures of the Female Lawrence of Arabia
The Desert and the Sown: The Syrian Adventures of the Female Lawrence of Arabia
by Gertrude Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 Nov. 2015
I bought this for my father in law who loves books about the Middle East given he was stationed there in the War. He loved it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4