Profile for outinthesticks > Reviews

Content by outinthesticks

outinthesticks (The West Country)

The Lose Weight Workout With Mikyla Dodd [DVD]
The Lose Weight Workout With Mikyla Dodd [DVD]
Offered by Fulfillment Next Day

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally uninspired cop-out, 4 Sept. 2012
This is possibly the most boring fitness DVD I have ever done. I actually stopped it without finishing as I couldn't take any more of it. The warm up is totally bizarre. The trainer's countdowns of "5, 6, 7, 8" are executed at different speeds throughout it and are out of time with the music, meaning you can't anticipate when the next move is going to start. The cardiovascular workout is accompanied by literally one music track that just goes on and on and isn't very good. That added to the fact that there are about 30 repetitions of each move, which mainly involve jogging on the spot, makes it unbearably tedious and totally unmotivating. If it hadn't have only cost me £1 I would have sent it back. It's going to the next charity shop I pass.
As far as I'm concerned you can't beat good old Rosemary Conley. At least she knows what she's talking about and has been helping people to lose weight for decades. OK, she may be a bit old school for some, but you get results. You can't go wrong with the box set "Fitness Triple Pack" that's on Amazon for only a fiver. If you mix and match sections across the three DVDs you could be doing a different workout every day.
I thought I hated celebrity DVDs but decided to give another one ago based on the reviews of this one (which I am totally puzzled about - have we really all been watching the same thing?) and this view has only been validated as a result of this purchase. I get the feeling the celebrity in question needed to make some money quick. I could have choreographed a better routine myself and I am no fitness instructor I can tell you.

Living Druidry: Magical spirituality for the wild soul
Living Druidry: Magical spirituality for the wild soul
by Emma Restall Orr

5.0 out of 5 stars A huge relief, 23 Dec. 2010
This book is life changing, as other reviewers have stated. It is the experience of one woman, who fortunately for us as readers is happy to share some of her most private and personal experiences with us, and in such an articulate way. Also, she is constantly careful to remind us that this is her experience, and that Druidry brings a love of the idiosyncratic and individualism. Her style is very poetic and for me personally I found it a little hard to comprehend in places, which I expect is my issue not hers. It is a very spiritual and philosophical work; if you;re looking for a "how to" this really isn't it. But the depth of its substance is astonishing. Those learning about Druidry are very lucky to have Emma Restall Orr writing books about it. It is one I will read again and again. It is unique.

Stop Smoking Now
Stop Smoking Now
by Allen Carr

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the original., 23 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Stop Smoking Now (Paperback)
This maybe of use to someone with a short attention span, but it is not a patch on the origial. It is very concise and seems to miss some of the points that really hit home from his original book and therefore may mean people don't really "get it" enough to stop for long.
The benefit of the original "Easy Way to stop smoking" is that it is long enough for you to immerse yourself in it over the days you're reading it, and there are enough examples and anecdotes to make it relevant to most people, I would imagine. This book is full of testimonials from celebrities which might influence some people to stop but thier inclusion seems to be at the expense of substance in the body of the text.
You do get a CD with it though, which is quite good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2012 4:37 PM BST

Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century: Ancient Mysteries for the 21st Century
by Philip Carr-Gomm

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to Druidry, 23 Dec. 2010
This is a good introduction to Druidry in its present form and its history. Philip Carr Gomm is Cheif Druid of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids, so if you have read anything written by them before, you will find some of it is repeated in this book. However, the exercises at the end of each Chapter are very helpful. It is not a prescriptive book, telling you exactly what to do and when. Instead it introduces the important bases of modern day Druidry and their origins. It's not the most inspriational book I have read on the subject, and a lot of what it contains could be found by reading through the articles on the OBOD website, but it's an excellent introduction to the subject and is very accessible. It's a book that the more experienced reader might want to lend to friends or family unfamiliar with the subject.

Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth
Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth
by John Michael Greer

2.0 out of 5 stars The Druidry Handbook, 23 Dec. 2010
I have only just received this and spent about half an hour reading the introduction and flicking through which was more than enough time to realise this really wasn't what I was after. The author has a background in Hermeticism and this book is based hugely on what came out of the Druid Revival of the 18th/19th centuries. It is very much a "handbook" in the sense that there are many descriptions of the details of ritual, tables of correspondences and has a very prescriptive tone to it as far as I have seen. The author is American, and so perhaps there is less emphasis on the importance of individuality and personal interpretation over there when it comes to Druidry. I've personally found Druidry very inspiring and liberating and accepting of individuality after having spent years trying to find an alternative to the structure and rigidity of other paths such as Wicca. The nature of ths book therefore means it just isn't for me. If you are more interested in the philosphy and spirituality of today's Druidry, rather than initiations, correspondences and rituals, try Emma Restall Orr's "Living Druidry".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2013 6:15 PM BST

Witcha: A Book of Cunning
Witcha: A Book of Cunning
by Nathaniel Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting personal account, 5 Sept. 2007
This is an unusal book in the sense that it is a personal account of a witch from a heriditary background. It is still ecclectic in nature however with this family having developed their own practices, using ideas from Eastern and Western religion and spirituality and in that sense is not quite as "cunning" as I expected. Although the author distances himself from Wicca, there are certainly elements of Wicca within his writing and practices and so for me, what not at all the Traditional book what I was expecting.

Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide
Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide
by Paul Huson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 5 Sept. 2007
This would make a good introduction to home herbalism, however it is rather basic (and at times confusing) and I would recommend Mrs. Greives' "A Modern Herbal" as one of the most comprehensive books of the subject, and one which the present author cites frequently in any case.

Witch's Runes
Witch's Runes
by Susan Sheppard

2.0 out of 5 stars Made up, 5 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Witch's Runes (Paperback)
This book might be of interest to some, but I was under a misaprehension thgat this book would be about the practice of divining using runes from a (witch)Craft perspective. It isn't. It is a divinatory system devised by the author, combining symbolism from various origins.