Profile for Keen Reader > Reviews

Map Of Tulsa, A
Map Of Tulsa, A
by Benjamin Lytal

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 31 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Map Of Tulsa, A (Paperback)
I love receiving my surprise package from And Other Stories in the post and love everything about their books - the touch, feel and style of them. Had no idea what to expect reading this but I found it thoroughly engrossing, absorbing and enjoyable. A sort of rites of passage/first love type tale that's deeply moving without being sentimental.

Circumstance [DVD]
Circumstance [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nikohl Boosheri
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasure, 8 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Circumstance [DVD] (DVD)
What a pleasure this film was, intelligent, sensitive and well directed, with two sensational lead actresses. It was sensuous rather than sexual, sweet, charming and very funny in places - the girls' arrival for 'sewing classes' which turned out to be a wild and boozy party still makes me smile. It was also a very interesting depiction of modern Iranian life. I thoroughly recommend it.

Divine Intervention [2002] [DVD]
Divine Intervention [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elia Suleiman
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Mesmerising, 8 Sept. 2014
I had no idea what to expect from this film, but having now seen it twice, I can say it's brilliant and mesmerising, with a soundtrack that's still playing in my ears. It's an intelligent film, it makes you work. You've got to keep up. It's also a disturbing depiction of life in Palestine, with check-points to navigate and the pressure-cooker build up of tension of people who are not free. We start with a series of vignettes of neighbourly squabbles getting further out of control, then we meet the lead character (the director himself) on his way to meet his lover at the check-point. He's in his car, eating an apricot. As he passes an Israeli tank he throws out the stone, and the tank explodes. The funniest sequences are this character's fantasies, weary as he is of life under occupation. For the Israeli target practice-turned-boy band session alone, you HAVE to watch this film!

Andrew James Premium Bread Maker With Automatic Ingredients / Nut And Raisin Dispenser - Includes 2 Year Warranty
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Easy to Use, 2 Jun. 2014
Our old bread maker finally died on us and we chose this one as it was so heavily reduced in price. It's great, does what it's meant to and we're having fun experimenting with different flours and flavourings. It's also pretty quiet which makes a change from the old one.

Empires of the Indus: The Story of a River
Empires of the Indus: The Story of a River
by Alice Albinia

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Impressive, 2 Jun. 2014
I have to take my hat off to Alice Albinia for this book, an incredibly well researched exploration of the River Indus, past and present, and the amazing journey she made doing so. Even more amazing is that she's so young and had left her husband at home - he only got a mention towards the very end! Kudos to her.

Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun.
Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun.
by Mark Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 2 Jun. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the insights it gave me into how life really is for those on either side of Israel's 'security' wall. Mark Thomas writes in an unashamedly blokeish tone, but once you get used to that, the stories he tells about how the wall has shafted so many Palestinians - the kids who have to walk through a sewage tunnel to get to school, the farmers who've lost their land, the school football pitch cut in half by the wall - are both outrageous and heartbreaking. I wish more people (especially politicians) would educate themselves about the every day reality that life is for many Palestinians, and this book would be a terrific start.

The Museum of Innocence
The Museum of Innocence
by Orhan Pamuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and Obsession in 70s Istanbul, 2 Jun. 2014
I picked this up in a charity shop (with apologies to the author) having recently visited and fallen in-love with Istanbul. I was a bit daunted, both by the book's size and by Pamuk's reputation, but I loved this. It's a complex tale of love, obsession, class and morals, it's funny, tragic, strange and at times frustrating, but I just went with it and found it richly rewarding. From page one you know it's not going to end well, but actually, when you finally get there, while by no means a typical happy ending, it's strangely uplifting. After this I started reading one of the big, multiple award-winning, must-read books of 2013, and after about 20% on my Kindle, I found myself wishing I was still reading The Museum of Innocence. Weeks on and I'm still thinking about this book. Probably not for everyone, but I loved it.

[( Extreme Rambling: Walking Israel's Separation Barrier. For Fun )] [by: Mark Thomas] [Apr-2011]
by Mark Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this, 25 Mar. 2014

Double Negative
Double Negative
by Ivan Vladislavic

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Insight, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Double Negative (Paperback)
A really engaging and interesting read set in Apartheid South Africa - quite unlike any other book I've read, where photography is used to analyse and examine a society on the brink of enormous change. Thoughtful and accomplished, I'd highly recommend it.

The Crystal Bible Volume 1: Godsfield Bibles
The Crystal Bible Volume 1: Godsfield Bibles
by Judy Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific guide, 30 Jan. 2014
The definitive guide to crystals - how to use them and an in-depth background to a huge number of crystals. A book any crystal lover will dip into again and again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5