Profile for Paul Baxter > Reviews

Content by Paul Baxter

Paul Baxter "pabhudds" (Holmfirth, UK)

COOLWEST 6W(2*3w) LED Wall Sconces Light Fixture Hardwired Angle-adjustable for Theater Studio Store Hall Porch Corridor Bedside Bedroom Mirror-light
Offered by COOLWEST

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice light but with serious safety concerns, 1 Feb. 2016
Nice quality, compact and looks good, but the main issue I have with this product is that without modification it is potentially dangerous and because the ends swivel it encourages twisting which requires a firm grip. If the case were to be become live it could give a sever and potentally lethal shock.

The failing is that the case is aluminium which is a good conductor of electricity and should be earthed, but there is no provision in the unit for earthing it, there are no terminals or earthing point. The circuit that converts mains power to low voltage for the LEDs is heat shrink wrapped but this does not constitute double insulation which would be required to provide a safe barrier between mains voltage and the metal case, as such trapping the electronics in the bracket of when wall mounting could damage the insulation and allow the case to become live.

I intend to use one of the holes provided in the bracket to fix an earth tag with shakeproof washers and whilst not ideal this should be sufficient to make the unit safe.

Another approach would be to have the electronics in the wall void so that only low voltage is in the vicinity of the casing.

I recommend you only purchase this if you know what you are doing and can make a modification to make the unit safe.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Portable Cool Bag for Packed Lunch. Comfortable Shoulder Strap with Two Bottle Holder Compartments - SanDD Travel Accessories
Offered by SanDD TA

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 1 Feb. 2016
I do not often review products because for the most part they more or less meet expectations, however on this occasion my expectations were exceeded as this could have been tailor made to my requirements. The quality is great and I see this being a very durable bag and ideally suited to my needs, it is not bulky yet it has the ability to take everything I wanted to put in it. It is by no means out of place in a an office or workplace and looks smart on a commute, certainly a cut above other ways of transporting lunch. It also seems ideal for a small picnic or travelling in the car with food for the kids. Food is kept at a good temperature (hot or cold) without having to resort to storing things in the office fridge with the issues that can have!

Overall a well made, exceedingly useful, flexible and durable product that I am sure will serve me well for a long time.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones - 80 Ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones - 80 Ohm

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 3 Dec. 2012
It's no coincidence that often when you see people in recording or radio studios they are wearing these headphones. I have had a pair for a few years now and never regretted the price. The clarity, sound isolation and robustness set these apart as a professional choice time and time again. If its good enough for the pro with their demands and ill treatment then it sure is good enough for me. I've used these both when working with small PAs but also at home listening to all types of speech and music. These phones have had their share of mistreatment and accidents over the years yet came through unscathed; even the curly lead is still as it was when I bought them, rather than the tangled mess you so often see. Particularly nice is the captive 3.5 mm to 1/4" jack adapter.

Back To The 50's: 18 GOLDEN MEMORIES
Back To The 50's: 18 GOLDEN MEMORIES
Offered by Todays Great Deal

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, 23 Sept. 2004
This is one of those discs where the tracks have been re-recorded (usually by one the band - e.g. the drummer now doing vocals) and so sound different to the originals.

Stargirl (Black Apples)
Stargirl (Black Apples)
by Jerry Spinelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, 21 Dec. 2001
I bought this for my 10 year old daughter and thought I better have a quick read first. I couldn't put it down. The book works on many levels so I'm sure it is suitable for ages 10 and up, it certainly has a quality and reality that will appeal to all ages. I found I kept returning to the themes raised time and time again. It also brought back those intense feelings of first love. Recommended highly.