Profile for C J Billingsley > Reviews

Content by C J Billingsley

C J Billingsley

Page: 1 | 2
Life Cycles - A London bike courier decided to cycle around the world. 169 days later, he came back with a world record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like most of us he has pre conceived ideas and ..., 11 Nov 2014
I have not quite finished reading this book yet but have found it so compelling that can't put it down! Lacks some detail of what bikers generally look for i.e. mechanicals and all the minor nuances of bike riding but gives sufficient info around the major happenings. Quite deep in places but once into the swing the writers character comes through. Like most of us he has pre conceived ideas and impressions about certain countries and their people but finds real warmth in those he actually meets. An interesting view on China and a surprising one in some ways?His tenacity and effort cannot be denied. I wonder how you come down from a trip like this?
Good read and well worth the money.Would highly suggest reading.

Along The Med on a Bike Called Reggie
Along The Med on a Bike Called Reggie

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel for poor old Reggie?, 22 Sep 2014
Just like picking up from his first book. Andrew carries on his journeys almost as if without a break! Same observational humour
and interesting read makes you feel as if experiencing yourself without the hrs peddling! Doesn't make me want to get out and do a mega ride like this as others have said! I've got more sense? Much better to read his exploits and dream!!!!!!
Its Reggie I feel sorry for? No coffee stops or snacks for him?

Reckless: The Life and Times of Luis Ocana
Reckless: The Life and Times of Luis Ocana

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling yet quite sad story of events into one of cyclings greats", 27 Jun 2014
When first reading this biography I was intrigued to find out more about this man I had only heard of ,but not known much about him. I was absolutely spell bound by his career and his attempts to overcome the greatest of them all Eddie Mercx! The sadness of his failing health and his mental state in his last few years are testimony to what he put into his attempts to be the best.

Easy Rider: My Life on a Bike
Easy Rider: My Life on a Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars a gripping read!, 22 Jan 2014
I echo what other reviewers have said about Rob Hayles, A self assured,modest,driven champion who deserved what he worked for and more.A good friend and confident to those around him and a genuinely nice guy! Would recommend to any biking nuts like me,I genuinely found it hard to put the book down even after taking so long in getting round to reading it! Made a lot of sense to the other books I have read recently about Cav,Wiggo and Dave Millar . A truly good read!

A Bicycle Journey to the Bottom of the Americas: Being a True Account of a Bike Adventure from Alaska

4.0 out of 5 stars unbelievable and epic journey!, 20 Oct 2013
Very interesting and to me motivational read about travels the length of the world?
How Jorge kept going all that time shows a steely determination and resolve to get the job done!
But the most rewarding part of this book is the fact that the author found on a number of occasions'
That solitude was a wonderful rewarding thing under such circumstances especially for an extremely gregarious character who found time to listen to folk from all walks of life!
I had to persuade myself to stop reading as I became so engrossed in the journey. Only downside was that the story skimmed certain destinations en route that I had hoped would feature- but hey credit to an epic journey!

Dividing the Great
Dividing the Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and inspiring!, 22 Sep 2013
A great read which re -kindled my love of this type of adventure.the ever changing scenario of tomorrow's ride, is what I found amusing,unpredictable,enfuriating and fun! Just what a travel book should be like!

Cycles, Tents and Two Young Gents
Cycles, Tents and Two Young Gents

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing Read,, 11 Sep 2013
I first thought this book would be a struggle? but once I had started reading I became hooked! I felt I had to know what happened on their journey and was also amused by the rather laddish and immature way they had gone about the trip! But this was its charm?(really not the correct word to use?) but you know what I mean? So pleased that however the rest of the trip had gone that genuine pleasure had been found visiting the Aude region( greatly underated). Might just pic k up a couple of the authors other books?

The Cycling Professor
The Cycling Professor

5.0 out of 5 stars An enlightening view of the Peleton!, 3 May 2013
Marco Pinotti has shown a view of the peleton I had not thought about. His knowledge and friendships are obvious
and shows just why he is such a popular rider. This book is a relaxed and thoughtful story of events and shows all
the highs and lows of a riders life. I found it an enjoyable read amongst all the hype and abuse books being written
just now. Thoroughly recommend.

The Time-Crunched Cyclist, 2nd Ed.: Fit, Fast, Powerful in 6 Hours a Week (The Time-Crunched Athlete)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Training programmes you can do!, 21 Jan 2013
A slow start, but once into this book you will be wanting to get to the end quickly so you can get out on your bike!
The writer offers reasoned explanations and warnings as well as a wealth of experience for any wannabe TDF rider?or just a competitive local trialist. I really cant wait to see if I make any gains in my fitness or whether distance riding becomes easier as a result of following the workouts? Also has concise dietary advice taken from his earlier book on Nutrition.
Good read!

Suunto M1 Heart Rate Monitor - Black
Suunto M1 Heart Rate Monitor - Black
Offered by Facewest

5.0 out of 5 stars Great simple Heart Rate monitor, 5 Jan 2013
Very simple Heart Rate monitor with very large clear numerals.
Comfortable strap and stays put-no shifting up and down your wrist like some do?
Controls easy to set up and change if required. Chest monitor comfortable and responsive
All in all a great little buy.
Supplier was attentive and friendly and communicated throughout transaction. Pleasure
doing business with them