Profile for R. Thompson > Reviews

Content by R. Thompson

R. Thompson (United Kingdom)

Classic Turkish Cooking
Classic Turkish Cooking
by Ghillie Basan

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the layout and photos, 14 Jan. 2012
Having borrowed the 2006 version of this book from a friend I was really impressed with a lot of the lovely recipes so decided to get myself a copy.
I did, however, make the mistake of presuming the more recent version would be an improvement. There are two main ways that this isn't the case:
- LAYOUT: across some double pages there are three recipes with one crossing the two pages making is less easy to follow. The pictures aren't necessarily next to the relevant recipe meaning you have to double check what you're looking at. Quite a few recipes also don't have a picture at all.
In the old version there is one recipe to a page with a lovely big picture of the finished dish as well as one or two other pictures.
- PHOTOS: as mentioned, the old version has at least two photos per recipe and these have obviously been taken by a professional food photographer. In the new book the photos are by Jonathan Basan and it really show that using a family member to take your photos rather than a professional is a bad idea! If you can compare the two books look at the carrot and pine nut rolls photos: old book they look delicious and vibrant. New book they are burnt and the photo is too dark.
I have returned the newer version and ordered the 2006 version instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 2:02 PM BST

Food Snap
Food Snap

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading game name, 14 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Food Snap (Toy)
Be warned if you are expecting a traditional game of snap in which the aim is to match two pictures that are the same. I just bought this game and found out that are only one of each picture!
The object of the game is to match food groups eg fruits, starchy foods etc. Not really what I'd call snap.
I would give it zero stars but it seems as though you can't.

Shark In The Park
Shark In The Park
by Nick Sharratt
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for under twos too, 8 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Shark In The Park (Board book)
To add to the comments about age suitability, my daughter has really enjoyed this book since she was 12 months old. The pictures are so bold and fun and now, at 15 months old, she yells 'aaagh' every time we see the shark through the hole!

Fun on the Farm Lift-the-Flap Book
Fun on the Farm Lift-the-Flap Book
by Ian Whybrow
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value non-stop favourite, 11 Nov. 2008
My 14 month old daughter has now had this book out of the library for 6 months. As we still read it at least once a day it's definitely time for me to buy her a copy!
There's loads to talk about on each page and I'm yet to find any book that has more flaps for the children to open. One of the best children's books I've found.

Q &  A
Q & A
by Vikas Swarup

2.0 out of 5 stars A simply scripted let down, 27 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Q & A (Paperback)
After reading a couple of reviews in national papers I thought this was going to be an exceptional read. However, a few days later having finished the novel I can say I found it incredibly simplistic in its writing style and storyline. The overall idea for the story is a great one but at no time was I gripped by the tale or excited by the prose.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2010 1:59 PM GMT