Profile for Jessica > Reviews

YUXI Chinese Green Jade Smooth Bangle Inside Diameter 58MM
YUXI Chinese Green Jade Smooth Bangle Inside Diameter 58MM
Offered by lee-jewelry

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful bangle - very happy!, 5 July 2016
I've wanted a Chinese jade bangle since I dropped and broke one my dad had got me on a work trip to China when I was a teenager. This is a beautiful, smooth bangle - a very pretty light green and it feels lovely on. I have small hands and wrists - most bangles sold in shops are too big for me and just slip over my hand and off. I wanted one which wasn't too hard to get on and off (requiring oil or use of plastic bags) but which would stay on, and measured my wrist as best I could. I was delighted as 58mm is exactly right for me, but until it arrived I wasn't sure as the only bangle I had to try at home was 65mm and I just knew that was far too big. Really happy with this purchase and the bangle arrived from China in a small red silk lined box. Fantastic value for money too. Thank you so much!

The Load of Unicorn (Classic Mammoth)
The Load of Unicorn (Classic Mammoth)
by Cynthia Harnett

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story and a great way to learn history, 22 Jan. 2016
I loved this story set in London in 1482 about Bendy, the son of a scrivener who becomes apprenticed to William Caxton, the printer. It's a very exciting adventure story as Bendy goes on a journey to Warwickshire (great descriptions of Stratford, too) in search of the complete manuscript of King Arthur stories written by Thomas Malory, which his master wants to print - but there may be danger involved for Bendy... As well as this, it's a great way to learn history, and it prompted me to read about the Wars of the Roses and Edward IV - Henry VIII's grandfather - and to find places mentioned in the book on Google Maps. Cynthia Harnett has created characters you care about and who bring history alive for you, and I love her illustrations and the descriptions of London. I don't think Bendy would recognise Paternoster Row these days! The relationship between Bendy and Caxton is charming - Caxton is portrayed as a kind, intelligent man who immediately recognises Bendy as a lad of promise and integrity and helps him to mature and learn, which makes this a timeless story. There are also interesting insights into the jealousy that can occur in stepfamilies.

I've only discovered Cynthia Harnett's books in adulthood and am entranced. This is the second of hers I've read - the first was Stars of Fortune, also highly recommended, and I'm now reading Ring Out Bow Bells! These books should all be in print! Fantastic reading!

They Came to Baghdad
They Came to Baghdad
by Agatha Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting adventure in the Middle East, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: They Came to Baghdad (Paperback)
I loved this book. As other reviewers have mentioned, it starts a little slowly, but I was feverishly racing through the later chapters to see what happened to Victoria. As a character, she becomes more and more likable as you get to know her, and it's really important to you that things turn out well for her. I found this a real edge of the seat story with some classic adventures and escapes from seemingly hopeless situations. One part in particular was very creepy - it filled me with horror and made my blood run cold... The descriptions also made me nostalgic for the Middle East - I was reminded so much of Syria (where unfortunately I won't be going again any time soon) and Egypt. Lovely descriptions of the archaeological dig and great characters. Fantastic!

Anne of Avonlea [DVD]
Anne of Avonlea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kim Braden
Offered by figswigs

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming adaptation, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Anne of Avonlea [DVD] (DVD)
I read all the Anne books when I was a teenager and still love them now at 41. I also grew up with the Kevin Sullivan productions and enjoyed those very much, but did feel that the sequel was not in any way based on the books, which I thought was a shame - although I enjoyed it for its own sake and it was very well done. I bought this DVD based on the positive reviews to see a different way of adapting the books for TV, and I wasn't disappointed. This production is very different from the Kevin Sullivan ones - low budget, as people have said, and rather dated. I did feel that some of the acting wasn't brilliant, but I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference between dated productions and poor acting. However, Jan Francis was lovely as Diana - far nicer than Schuyler Grant in the Kevin Sullivan production, who didn't really seem very genuine. I loved the way the production stuck very closely to the books Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island. There were some minor changes and some characters weren't quite how I imagined them, for instance Miss Lavendar was not portrayed as being such a nice person as she is in the books and there was far less about Paul Irving (the young actor playing Paul I thought was very poor, also). However there are a lot of characters in the books and I can see they had to be pared down. I thought Kim Braden was much better as Anne than Megan Follows was, and it was so nice to see her Redmond days brought to life on screen and to have Roy Gardner as the love rival for Gilbert rather than someone much older and completely made up. Being a child of the seventies, I love the seventies understatement in the acting - everything is so blown out of all proportion and obvious in films these days. I like having to use a little imagination. I loved this production and will enjoy it in the years to come. I'm so glad I bought it and wish the prequel hadn't been lost! I wish the fashion in general would return to TV adaptations which are not completely different from the books - some of the latest Miss Marple adaptations, for instance, bear very little resemblance to the books and I think Agatha Christie would be horrified. Anyway, I highly recommend this DVD to Anne fans.

FLASH SUPERSTORE BLACKBERRY 9700 / 9780 BOLD POLKA DOTS GEL SKIN COVER/CASE BABY PINK
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality is rubbish, 9 July 2012
I was very disappointed with this purchase. I don't know what I expected for £1.99 - the postage was 1p more expensive than the item! - but it is extremely cheap and tacky looking. I have put it straight in the plastic recycling, as that is all it is fit for in my opinion. It really spoilt the look of my BlackBerry. I don't at all recommend this item, and I don't recommend the seller, either - they have now refunded me, but only after several emails to them and then a complaint to Amazon that they were refusing to do so.

Heat And Dust [DVD]
Heat And Dust [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julie Christie

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather predictable and superficial, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Heat And Dust [DVD] (DVD)
I was disappointed with this film, but I have also just finished watching The Jewel in the Crown, so I may be comparing it unfairly to that stunning production. I found the first hour extremely boring - after that it did improve, but only in the storyline concerning the 1920s. The story of Anne I thought was very superficial and frustrating. The characters in the 1980s storyline were underdeveloped and the American character was irritating. The relationship between Anne and her Indian lover lacked chemistry, as another reviewer has said, and seemed pointless. Perhaps I just don't want to think back to that awful period in the 1980s when people became hippies! Greta Scacchi is beautiful and is a great actor (I also agree with another reviewer that misspelling her name on the DVD cover was poor), and Shashi Kapoor was also good. The ending was too abrupt, but very sad. I think more could have been done to develop the characters fully and stop this production from being superficially beautiful but lacking in real meaning.

Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 39)
Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (Poirot) (Hercule Poirot Series Book 39)

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever plot but lacking in character development, 23 Oct. 2011
I agree with a previous reviewer that Poirot and Hastings both behave in ways that are not quite believable, or true to their characters in the previous books, in this last Poirot novel. I think this is a creation by an author who was thoroughly fed up with her hero and wanted to get rid of him. I found it sad, because I love Poirot as a character - and I was also very disappointed at the way both Hastings and Poirot behaved (again, if you've read the book you'll know what I mean). Quite simply, I thought it was not quite credible. The plot is very clever but extremely unlikely. Of course, many of Dame Agatha's plots are unlikely, but I found this one slightly ridiculous. The references to "Othello" are very thought provoking, though. The book seems to have been a bit rushed - I know Agatha Christie is renowned for developing her characters only so far as she needs to, but I think a lot more could have been done with many of the characters in this book to make it more vivid and intriguing. It isn't a patch on "Death on the Nile" or "Five Little Pigs", for instance. Still, I enjoyed it and it made me read the plot of "Othello", if not the whole play!

Another thing I felt was that I didn't "recognise" Styles from "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" - it was like a different place completely. Of course, it was probably very different by then in the book's terms, having been made into a hotel - but I felt that perhaps more could have been done in description to make the reader feel that the action was really taking place in the same house as the original murder did - because all the way through I kept forgetting that the venue was supposed to be Styles...

On a different note, there are some errors in the layout on the Kindle - for instance, sometimes in dialogue, there is no new paragraph when a different person is speaking, as there should be, which made me confused a couple of times about which character was speaking. I didn't notice any spelling errors, though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 7:23 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy - I particularly like the dictionary feature, 29 Aug. 2011
Like many other reviewers, I deliberated for a long time before buying a Kindle - and even now I have it, I don't think it will replace books for me. For a start, as others have noted, not all books are available on Kindle at present. It's also a different sort of experience from reading a book - not worse, but different. However, it is a fantastic gadget, especially for travelling, and I am very glad I bought one. I bought it just before a holiday in Canada, which meant that I could easily download books onto it, both in the UK before leaving, and whenever I felt like it in Canada - and this was very weight saving for the luggage and meant that when I was there and suddenly thought, "I wish I had such and such a book on me", I could just download it straightaway in seconds and start reading it. Brilliant!

It is also great to carry around in my handbag, for instance when I go shopping, so that I can sit in cafes and read, without having to cart a bulky paperback round the shops. It's so easy to swap between different books on it - and as I said in my title, I love having the dictionary feature, both the English and American ones. I'm reading Bleak House at present and there are frequently words I need to look up - so I can easily do this without having to put the book down and pick up another book. Which leads me onto another feature I love - the fact that you can put the gadget down and pick it up again and it's on the same page - very handy! The internet on Kindle is a little slow compared to on my Blackberry, but I think it's better on wifi than on 3G (I haven't really used it enough to say). I have a slight impression that using the internet may run the battery down fairly quickly - but it's very useful having the internet feature, especially as the Whispernet 3G coverage seemed more widespread in Canada (Newfoundland) than it was on my Blackberry with O2, where I had no mobile coverage outside St. John's. I haven't tried sending any documents to it as I don't intend to use it for that purpose.

I find the screen fine, although it could be slightly brighter. I guess it's good for reading in the sun because of this, though - I haven't tried that yet. I downloaded Bleak House to it as well as having a paperback copy, and this is useful because my paperback copy of Bleak House has 900+ pages of small print - but the print on the Kindle is better and changeable. However, the Kindle version, which was the more expensive Kindle version of Bleak House, doesn't have so many features as the paperback copy - for instance the introduction and explanatory notes are missing. The illustrations are also too small to appreciate in the Kindle version compared with in the paperback. I am sure these issues apply to other books and for that reason I think it's still nice to have books as well as the Kindle - they complement each other and have different advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes I read on the Kindle and have the book by me as well so that I can go back to remind myself of earlier events in the book without losing my place. It is a shame that it's difficult to turn back more than one page or one chapter at once - I know there's a bookmark system, but you don't always know until later that you want to reread a passage. I do find I can lose myself in reading on it, though, as you do in a book. The page turning is pretty good but just a little bit slow. I guess this will improve in later versions as technology improves. I think it's a little confusing the way in the Kindle versions of books you're not taken to the front cover first when you open the book - you have to search the contents to get the front cover and first few pages, dedication, etc. I don't like that about the Kindle - but it's a minor point.

Generally I am very pleased with mine and have already got a lot of use out of it. I highly recommend it even to people who feel they prefer books - which essentially I do. It's a great complement to the world of books and reading.

Crazy Love [Hollywood Edition]
Crazy Love [Hollywood Edition]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 5 Nov. 2010
I received this double CD yesterday and have only listened to it once all the way through, and some of my favourite songs several times - but I can see I'm going to get many hours of pleasure out of it. I've only fairly recently got into Michael's music - it really started when I first heard his version of "Cry Me a River" last year, but I didn't buy the CD at first because I really prefer listening to the radio as a rule - you get the surprise element. However, with that and "Me and Mrs Jones" and all his other frequently played songs, I eventually decided to buy this, and have discovered that there are many great songs on it - in fact I would say the lesser known ones may be better - I like the jazzy ones. "Cry Me a River" is still my favourite at present - but the good thing about this album is, as with the best albums (like Simon and Garfunkel's music, for instance), the more I listen to it the more I know I will discover new favourites as time goes on. He has a really great voice! Love this CD and will treasure it for years to come.

Rilla of Ingleside
Rilla of Ingleside
by L. M. Montgomery

4.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into the impact of World War I on Canadian lives, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Rilla of Ingleside (Paperback)
Like many teenage girls, I loved the "Anne" series, and read the first six repeatedly for several years. L. M. Montgomery knew just how to appeal to and inspire girls in this age group. I didn't realise "Rainbow Valley" or "Rilla of Ingleside" existed until I found copies of them in my school library in the late 1980s, and managed to read bits of them when I should have been studying - I never managed to read them all the way through as our strict librarian would come round and check on us! There were always books in the other six of the series that I liked more than others, though - for instance I never liked "Anne of Avonlea", "Anne of Windy Willows" or "Anne of Ingleside" so much as the other three - I felt that there was too much incidental gossip about unimportant characters in them. I'm now 38 and since I had wanted to read the other two books as a teenager, I recently ordered them and read them. I have to admit I skimmed "Rilla of Ingleside" (and "Rainbow Valley"), because these days I feel even more than I did then that L. M. Montgomery does write quite a lot of trivial village gossip - but on the other hand, I found the insights into Canadian families sending their sons, husbands and brothers off to fight in World War I extremely moving and well written. The descriptions of the anguish suffered by Rilla's family, as presumably being typical of so many families in Canada and in many other countries at that time, are sad and made me think how lucky I am not to have lived through such a traumatic period in history. I enjoyed the parts concerning Rilla's war baby, also. I have to agree with another reviewer that I think it's a shame that Anne is always called Mrs Blythe in this book, and I also feel that I would have liked to know a bit more about how she and Gilbert and their other children felt about things and how they coped. It's almost as if the author felt that there was no more to say about Anne and Gilbert. Someone else on here commented that Gilbert becomes a sort of model husband without much personality once he and Anne are married, and that they missed the mischievous boy from Avonlea. I feel that way too; and I would have liked to hear more about Leslie, and Philippa, and Diana, and Anne's other old friends. The book is focussed on Rilla, who is a likeable character, but for me Anne is far more interesting. Perhaps it's just that I should have read it when I was younger, however - then it would have had sentimental value for me!

Page: 1 | 2