Profile for Timothy De Ferrars > Reviews

Content by Timothy De Ferrars

Timothy De Ferrars (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Disclaimer
Disclaimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sinister, compelling and beautifully written, 23 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Disclaimer (Kindle Edition)
Disclaimer is a gripping and sinister study of our tendency to judge, and it sets a clever moral test for the reader. The central character Catherine's life unravels with appalling speed as events that she had thought were safely in her past suddenly overtake her, shattering her family and destroying her career. The invisible force behind her downfall is a complete stranger, driven by unbearable loss, who publishes a novel in which Catherine is the key player in a damning tale of lust and betrayal. The novel mockingly declares that any resemblance to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental, but it inflicts irreversible damage on her, her family and her reputation.
What follows is unexpected and beautifully told. I can't remember when I enjoyed a book so much: it comfortably passed my test of a good book, which is that you think about it when you are away from it, and fret about returning to its pages.
A tremendous debut from a very talented writer.

Personal (Jack Reacher 19)
Personal (Jack Reacher 19)
by Lee Child

1.0 out of 5 stars A mess of poor logic and lazy nonsense, 25 May 2015
A mess of poor logic and lazy nonsense. Sloppy work by a successful author who just can't be bothered to try any more. Save your money for something better.

Ring Powerpack RPP148 Compact Jump Starter 12 V 9 Ah with LED Lights and USB Sockets

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure if any of the other reviewers have ..., 17 Jan. 2015
I'm not sure if any of the other reviewers have actually tested this product, but it doesn't work. I tried it on a Peugeot 307 and it did not deliver enough power to turn over the engine. So it returned it as faulty. I have just received the replacement, which I tested on a small two-door Peugeot 206. Same result. If yours is still within the return warranty limit I would urge you to test it by disconnecting your +ve battery terminal and trying to start the car off the device. It clearly says in the instructions that this is a booster intended to be capable of starting a car with a dead battery - i.e. not just a portable recharger.

Grunwerg Stainless Steel Potato Vegetable Spiral Slicer - VS-1201
Grunwerg Stainless Steel Potato Vegetable Spiral Slicer - VS-1201
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, easy to use - and it works, 23 Sept. 2014
I really don't understand some of the other reviews, and wonder if they are for a different version of the product. Ours is fine:
- it works well
- it is simple to understand and use
- it includes instructions with clear pictures
- it is sturdily built
- the blade is easy to unclip and reclip
- the suction foot works fine
I can't find anything wrong with it at all. In fact it's rather good.

Andoer Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle 4 Stones
Andoer Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle 4 Stones
Offered by TOMTOP-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product, especially considering that it costs less than ..., 10 July 2014
This is a great product, especially considering that it costs less than a decent new knife. It took me about six attempts to work out how to use it, but now I am away: knives that had been consigned to the back of a drawer are now razor sharp and back in action. I am a semi-pro chef, and yesterday I managed to cut myself for the first time in 20 years - be careful.
Don't give up if your first efforts are as poor as mine. If you keep reading the instructions the penny will drop. The only thing missing is a YouTube instruction video, which I would be happy to record if anyone needs it;
Highly recommended.

Harcostar Fast Flow Tap
Harcostar Fast Flow Tap
Offered by Equestrian Performance

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product, 25 May 2014
The product is expensive and poor. The rubber washers are too thin to seal into a typical water butt's curved surface. Worst, the spigot rotates with the tap handle, so you can't attach a hosepipe to it - you need to create a rotating joint to make it usable. There are much cheaper products that are much more usable than this.

A Greedy Man in a Hungry World: How (almost) everything you thought you knew about food is wrong

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...., 27 Mar. 2014
I bought this book on the strength of a Guardian extract that was stacked with sharp journalism and hard statistics. The book itself is nothing like that: it's a chatty meander. It makes some good points, but Jay Rayner's personality - and it's a very nice personality - keeps getting in the way. He can't stop talking about himself. Every time that he achieves focus, he immediately blurs the picture with an indulgent anecdote about him or his mum or his dad or his hamster.
As a polemic, this book is entertaining, and it succeeds. But as a serious contribution to an important debate, it fails. Which is a real shame, because Rayner grasps his subject deeply and has done the hard yards, travelling the world, conducting pre-dawn interviews at food markets and confronting powerful interest groups in live debates.
This is an author with much to say, but this book is pitched at someone who has attention problems and needs to be jerked into awareness about the importance of the issue. (Not the sort of person who will buy the book to start with.)
Rayner needs to start over and write a serious book about the future of food in collaboration with someone who can help him to treat his readers as grown-ups.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2015 9:10 AM GMT

Spit the Dummy and Run
Spit the Dummy and Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation - if you needed it - of the futility of your job, 27 Mar. 2014
I don’t know about you, but when I am in a meeting, my mind wanders. I know deep down that crowding a dozen unwilling people into a room for no particular reason has comic potential, but it eludes me. I search for the cutting quip, that Dilbert moment, but something has been sucked from my brain, and I find myself mutely nodding; anxious for it to end in time to get to Pret before the sushi runs out.
Imagine now that Dilbert had a lexicographer. How good would that be….

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Offered by BestBuyUk

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsafe, 1 Jan. 2014
At first use, this shaver cut me badly - blood everywhere. As it is "wet and dry" I tried it again with shaving cream, but it cut me several times more. It's just not safe or fit for purpose. Amazon offered me a refund, but only if I paid for return postage. When I complained about this, they just refunded me. So I am happy with how they dealt with my complaint, but the product itself is not something I would recommend. It hurt me and drew copious blood every time I used it. How this thing ever came to market is beyond me.

Premium Fun Ride 30m Zip Wire - Green
Premium Fun Ride 30m Zip Wire - Green
Offered by Crocodile Web Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
Easy to follow instructions, and the zipwire was easy to install. The kids are very happy with it, as am I.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6