Profile for Timothy De Ferrars > Reviews

Content by Timothy De Ferrars

Timothy De Ferrars (France)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Grunwerg Stainless Steel Potato Vegetable Spiral Slicer - VS-1201
Grunwerg Stainless Steel Potato Vegetable Spiral Slicer - VS-1201
Offered by Cutting Edge Cookware

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, easy to use - and it works, 23 Sep 2014
I really don't understand some of the other reviews, and wonder if they are for a different version of the product. Ours is fine:
- it works well
- it is simple to understand and use
- it includes instructions with clear pictures
- it is sturdily built
- the blade is easy to unclip and reclip
- the suction foot works fine
I can't find anything wrong with it at all. In fact it's rather good.

Andoer Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle 4 Stones
Andoer Professional Kitchen Knife Sharpener System Fix-angle 4 Stones
Offered by Andoer

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product, especially considering that it costs less than ..., 10 July 2014
This is a great product, especially considering that it costs less than a decent new knife. It took me about six attempts to work out how to use it, but now I am away: knives that had been consigned to the back of a drawer are now razor sharp and back in action. I am a semi-pro chef, and yesterday I managed to cut myself for the first time in 20 years - be careful.
Don't give up if your first efforts are as poor as mine. If you keep reading the instructions the penny will drop. The only thing missing is a YouTube instruction video, which I would be happy to record if anyone needs it;
Highly recommended.

Harcostar Fast Flow Tap
Harcostar Fast Flow Tap
Offered by tools247

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product, 25 May 2014
The product is expensive and poor. The rubber washers are too thin to seal into a typical water butt's curved surface. Worst, the spigot rotates with the tap handle, so you can't attach a hosepipe to it - you need to create a rotating joint to make it usable. There are much cheaper products that are much more usable than this.

A Greedy Man in a Hungry World: How (almost) everything you thought you knew about food is wrong

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...., 27 Mar 2014
I bought this book on the strength of a Guardian extract that was stacked with sharp journalism and hard statistics. The book itself is nothing like that: it's a chatty meander. It makes some good points, but Jay Rayner's personality - and it's a very nice personality - keeps getting in the way. He can't stop talking about himself. Every time that he achieves focus, he immediately blurs the picture with an indulgent anecdote about him or his mum or his dad or his hamster.
As a polemic, this book is entertaining, and it succeeds. But as a serious contribution to an important debate, it fails. Which is a real shame, because Rayner grasps his subject deeply and has done the hard yards, travelling the world, conducting pre-dawn interviews at food markets and confronting powerful interest groups in live debates.
This is an author with much to say, but this book is pitched at someone who has attention problems and needs to be jerked into awareness about the importance of the issue. (Not the sort of person who will buy the book to start with.)
Rayner needs to start over and write a serious book about the future of food in collaboration with someone who can help him to treat his readers as grown-ups.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 12:10 PM BST

Spit the Dummy and Run
Spit the Dummy and Run

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation - if you needed it - of the futility of your job, 27 Mar 2014
I don’t know about you, but when I am in a meeting, my mind wanders. I know deep down that crowding a dozen unwilling people into a room for no particular reason has comic potential, but it eludes me. I search for the cutting quip, that Dilbert moment, but something has been sucked from my brain, and I find myself mutely nodding; anxious for it to end in time to get to Pret before the sushi runs out.
Imagine now that Dilbert had a lexicographer. How good would that be….

Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver
Offered by Zafash Pharmacy

1.0 out of 5 stars Unsafe, 1 Jan 2014
At first use, this shaver cut me badly - blood everywhere. As it is "wet and dry" I tried it again with shaving cream, but it cut me several times more. It's just not safe or fit for purpose. Amazon offered me a refund, but only if I paid for return postage. When I complained about this, they just refunded me. So I am happy with how they dealt with my complaint, but the product itself is not something I would recommend. It hurt me and drew copious blood every time I used it. How this thing ever came to market is beyond me.

Premium Fun Ride 30m Zip Wire - Green
Premium Fun Ride 30m Zip Wire - Green
Offered by N I Climbing Frames

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jan 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
Easy to follow instructions, and the zipwire was easy to install. The kids are very happy with it, as am I.

Carver's Quest (Carver & Quint)
Carver's Quest (Carver & Quint)
by Nick Rennison

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 25 Dec 2013
Beautifully written and very entertaining. It reads like a Wodehouse/Dickens collaboration. I look forward to the next instalment of Carver and Quint.

8GB CAMBRIDGE SCIENCES StarPAD 2, 7.0 WiFi. Dual core CPU Android 4.2.2 Tablet PC

1.0 out of 5 stars Regret buying, 19 Nov 2013
I bought a tablet from Cambridge Sciences. It was pretty rubbish to use, and then after the warranty had expired the battery expanded until the back of the tablet popped off under the pressure. They have at least agreed to dispose of it safely for me, but they didn't offer to pay the postage.
This is a seller I shall avoid.

Triop Volcano Play Set
Triop Volcano Play Set

1.0 out of 5 stars Dud, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Triop Volcano Play Set (Toy)
The eggs didn't hatch. We followed the instructions and tried several different batches, but nothing. So this amounts to an expensive lump of plastic containing rainwater with nothing happening in it. Disappointing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6