Profile for Paddy_Kent > Reviews

Content by Paddy_Kent

Paddy_Kent

The Chestnut Tree (A Short Story)
The Chestnut Tree (A Short Story)

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a joy to read and I can't wait for Jo's next ..., 7 Nov. 2014
This is a lovely story. Strong characters, fast paced plot. It was a joy to read and I can't wait for Jo's next book. She really does have the most fabulous heros!

The Oyster Catcher
The Oyster Catcher
by Jo Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing dream of a romance, 22 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Oyster Catcher (Paperback)
I have a feeling that Jo Thomas must be either Irish, or live there. She picks up the wonderful Irish psyche and mingles it effortlessly with the English and American 'blow-ins' as she calls them. When I first started the book I had a nasty feeling it was going to be a bit of a Polyanna moment where our heroine breezes in on an ill wind and sorts out all of the town and all its inhabitants by being perky and quirky in a bit of a whacky Bridget Jones-ish way. But no, this heroine puts her muscle where her mouth is and is a bloody hard worker, stubborn and about as unglamorous as a girl can get. In wellies, a waterproof and with her hair tied back she faces the storm that swirls both outside the cottage windows and in the masculine heart of the focus of her affections. I love the way the author jumps effortlessly between thoughts of the heroine and the hero giving that wonderfully tingly feeling wondering how this is going to work out as we want it too. There are plenty of interesting twists and turns in the plot, non of which are obvious or hackneyed.
This book blows as fresh and clean as the wind off the Pacific Ocean blowing at the darks curls of our hero. I loved every character in this book, they are both fun and funny, beautifully drawn and coloured to perfection. I wanted to boo at the baddies and cheer with the townsfolk as they all wake from the doldrums and ultimately relive past glories.
Can't wait for the next one from this author.