ARRAY(0xa655cd80)

Profile for RayG > Reviews

Content by RayG

RayG

The First 20 Minutes: The Surprising Science of How We Can Exercise Better, Train Smarter and Live Longer
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars If this doesn't convince you to be active, nothing will., 5 Mar 2014
Other comments have said this book contains conflicting theories and hence lacks useful conclusions. I didn't find this. It does cover a broad range of topics, so I can see why some might find it lacks direction. But there is a common theme to all the subjects - that activity is essential for health. Any "conflicts" are just honest and accurate quoting of studies - things are rarely as straightforward ase we would like.

Of particular interest is that you can be sedentary without realising it - doing an hour or more of exercise every day doesn't change the fact that many hours of sitting down does you harm (you are still sedentary despite the exercise!)
This book is full of essential information and inspiration (assuming you are inspired by facts more than by shallow, emotive arguments.)

If you are sitting on the fence about whether to start exercising, buy this!

Medicinal Chef
Medicinal Chef

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING won't load on Kindle or PC - check device list!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Medicinal Chef (Kindle Edition)
Bought this Kindle book. For my Kindle. Amazon sent it to my Android MP3 player - which recently broke.
Tried sending it to my Kindle V4. Not compatible.
Oh well, I thought, I'll have to read it on a PC. Errr, no, not allowed. So I'm stuffed.
I know this doesn't reflect on the content, but it is a problem with *the product I bought* so I'm rating 3 stars and hoping this leads to people reading this warning.
I never thought I would have to check the device list WHEN I HAVE A KINDLE. Clearly we all have to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2014 1:36 PM GMT

Marathon Chingford Without Fly 2-Pack Men's Boxers
Marathon Chingford Without Fly 2-Pack Men's Boxers

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - they are more comfy., 16 Oct 2013
I was surprised. These really are the most comfortable undies I've ever worn. Snug and supportive without ever feeling tight. Like a second skin.
Are they worth the full price? Not sure - but they are a bit of luxury that will give you plenty of satisfaction if you can afford them.
They look good too. If you're going to get knocked down by a bus, wear these.

Timers4Me & Stopwatch Pro
Timers4Me & Stopwatch Pro
Price: 1.27

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just timers!, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Timers4Me & Stopwatch Pro (App)
Can also be used for organising tasks. I think I'll prefer it to more traditional task list organisers because of the ease of pausing, restarting and seeing how far overdue an item is.

York 80" Beefy Bar - Plain - 1
York 80" Beefy Bar - Plain - 1
Price: 28.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Weighs 10Kg, 9 July 2013
Mine weighs a full 10Kg. No difference to my 10Kg weights as measured on mechanical scales. (So maybe the 10.3Kg spec is accurate.)
It's big, solid, takes far more weight than I (or most people) need, so I'm giving it 5 stars despite the limitations mentioned by more advanced lifters here.
The knurling pattern on mine is different (has a gripped area in the middle.) I'll try putting up a pic later.

Casio G-Shock G-7710-3ER Digital Quartz Multifunction Sports Watch with Stopwatch, Timers, Alarms, Time Zones, Water Resistant to 20 bar, Black and Green Rubber Strap
Price: 67.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, versatile watch using respected 3095 movement., 23 May 2013
This watch has a wide feature set that is all potentially useful, yet doesn't get in the way if you want to ignore some parts. The interface is mostly intuitive (same controls as many Casio, Timex and others.)

Plus points:
5 year battery life.
Chronograph has 2 modes; the usual start/stop/lap mode, and a recall mode. You can start the stopwatch then switch to recall to view elapsed time(s) without any risk of accidentally stopping the timer.
The countdown timer has 2 times. It counts down the first, at the end it starts the second. It repeats the pair 5 times if you let it. (You can set one time to 0 to exclude it.) This isn't as versatile as the interval timer on an high-end Ironman Triathlon for example, but it's much, much easier to use. You could use it for Tabata intervals.
One of the 5 alarms has a snooze feature: it sounds every 5 minutes until you do a specific keypress (most keypresses just silence it temporarily.) All alarms can be once/daily/weekdays/weekends.
The hourly chime can be set to sound only within a certain range of hours. Hurrah! No more beeping while I'm in bed.
Main time screen shows time, date and weekday plus either year/week number or day of year/days left in year/week number or time in another time zone. Easily switched between these modes.
A world time zone shows 3 times at once: Home, 2nd time zone as mentioned above and a 3rd time that you can scan freely through all the time zones.

Bells and whistles:
Can be set to illuminate when you tilt the display towards your face.
Can be set to flash LEDs when alarms sound.
Can adjust contrast.

Downsides (not many!):
The sliding keeper for the strap end can drift towards the buckle, leaving part of the strap flapping about.
Has "1/1000 SEC" written on the face in bright white. I don't care that the stopwatch has the useless ability to time down to 1/1000s, but plastering the fact on the face is dumb. It actually steals space from the simulated second hand sweep display! Note that by comparison the button function names are moulded but not painted - black on black!!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixed my dry cracked hands., 17 May 2013
Tried a few things to sort out my hands this winter, nothing quite worked. Bag Balm did the trick.
Some people think it goes on too greasy, but if you spread it thin it forms a protective barrier that's just right.
Good for dry elbows and feet too.

Samsung Galaxy S 8GB Wi-Fi MP3 Player with 4.2 inch Display - White
Samsung Galaxy S 8GB Wi-Fi MP3 Player with 4.2 inch Display - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy/productivity device, 1 Dec 2012
Wow. I bought this in the BF sale wondering if I was being silly getting this instead of a smartphone or larger tablet. I'm blown away at how useful it is. I've connected it to my wifi network and installed Evernote, and I think it will be worth it for that app alone. I can take notes/photos/sound recordings and they are sent to the cloud and synced to my PC with no effort on my part.
Even once I get a new smartphone and big tablet(s) I think I'll be glad to have this little Samsung around.
If you want to use Samsung Kies software, on the Player use Settings...Wireless and network...USB settings...Samsung Kies. The software doesn't tell you this, and if you miss this step the painfully slow Kies program can be even more frustrating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 7:04 AM GMT

Citizen Eco-Drive Men's Watch with White Dial Chronograph Display and Black Leather Strap CA0361-04A

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Eco Drive watch let down by minor niggles., 29 Nov 2012
This is a big, bold watch, designed for show. While it is over-sized, it is not ridiculously big for a man, though it is thicker than I would like. The strap does look mismatched - it is up to the job, but doesn't match the beefiness of the watch.
Overall I do like the appearance. It has strong features and contrast but is not too cluttered, making it easy to read (the size also helps here.) The 'winder' is too big and its red ring is not to my taste. I suspect it will dig in to the back of my hand painfully at times.
There seem to be no power saving modes. If left in a dark drawer the hands will keep turning, so the battery will go from fully charged to empty in "only" seven months. OK that's plenty, but compare it to my old E760 model that runs for five years!
The calendar is not perpetual, you have to set it manually to the 1st following short months. This may be related to the lack of power saving modes. If the hands/date are all driven off the same motor via gears, then you can't suspend hand movement without messing up the date.
I like the way the stopwatch is always available on demand, and visible (unlike on digital watches.) The big second hand is only used by the stopwatch feature. The time-of-day seconds are shown on the small, lower dial. Not so aesthetic, but it has to be that way round to read the stopwatch in fractions of a second.
**I just noticed that the stopwatch stops on its own after one hour.** I would prefer it if it kept running, even if I had to work out/guess how many whole hours had passed. An annoying consequence of that is that when you next start the stopwatch the start button won't click, possibly causing confusion and button mashing.

Tanita BC532 Body Composition Glass Bathroom Scales
Tanita BC532 Body Composition Glass Bathroom Scales
Offered by Direct-Sales-Online
Price: 66.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Great scales - but WILL NOT work on carpet., 25 Aug 2012
I've had these scales for years, but didn't trust them because weighing was not consistent or credible. Eventually I worked out that they do work properly on a solid, flat, smooth floor. Lino in a bathroom or kitchen is fine. It's hard to tell from the design why carpet messes it up, but it really does. Even a flat board between the scales and carpet didn't fix it!
So... recommended if your preferred location has the right floor. If not, buy a cheap set of mechanical scales - they will be far more accurate!
P.S. If dust gets under the glass, it is fairly easy to open it up to clean it. (Just need a screwdriver.)