Profile for martinfrombirmingham > Reviews

Content by martinfrombirm...

martinfrombirmingham

Peace Wars: Love Inside Out
Peace Wars: Love Inside Out

5.0 out of 5 stars In the interest of openness I want to start by ..., 31 Mar. 2016
In the interest of openness I want to start by saying that I met the author and his wife at a conference in California and they kindly gave me a free copy of the book.
The book goes through word studies of the 7 nations defeated by the Israelites in the Book of Joshua and picks out very helpful insights into battles we face in our discipleship. I've been a Christian for over 30 years and have been a pastor for much of that time - I've read loads of books and it is a real treat to find one that opens up a new idea or vein of gold to go mining in.
It's a simple book to get into and contains some real, solid Truths that will help us look again at our own lives and help us as we disciple others.

BlueBeach Portable 3 in 1 Swiss Knife USB Adapter Data and Charging Cable for Smartphones and Tablets - compatible with iphone 6/5s/5/5c/4 ipad Samsung LG Sony HTC Huawei (White)
Offered by BlueBeach

The Cross & the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants
The Cross & the Prodigal: Luke 15 Through the Eyes of Middle Eastern Peasants
by Kenneth E Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 5 Nov. 2011
I've now read a number of Kenneth Bailey's books, then recommended them to all my friends and have made "Jesus through middle Eastern eyes" compulsory reading for my preaching team.
The Cross and the Prodigal is much shorter and I think is an updated re-issue of a chapter in "Poet and Peasant." I read a lot of books and have been a Christian and pastor for some time, but think that page for page, this short book is among the most valuable I've read. It takes a fresh look at the 3 parables in Luke 15 - especially the Prodigal Son, which is very familiar material; but although I'd say I know the story well, and have been blessed by Tim Keller's "Prodigal God" and a great chapter in E Clowney's "Preaching Christ through all of Scripture" it felt like whilst reading The Cross and the Prodigal, light bulbs were being switched on in my head as I came to understand parts of the chapter for the first time. I can't recommend it highly enough.
The second half of the book is a play based on the Parable, which I'm sure is great and I'll get round to reading it once I've got over the impact of the first half!