Profile for James A. Craik > Reviews

Content by James A. Craik

James A. Craik "bronzedgod" (north east UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Midnight Express
Midnight Express
by Billy Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars still a good tale, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Midnight Express (Paperback)
a few years old now but still a decent read. just a bit too much self pity in it, he did try to smuggle drugs and knew that it was illegal.

A Fortunate Life: The Autobiography of Paddy Ashdown
A Fortunate Life: The Autobiography of Paddy Ashdown
by Paddy Ashdown

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 2 Sep 2010
Well you will finish the book wondering why we never trusted this man to run the country, a decent honest chap who had a life of trying to do good for others, apart from proportional representation.
It almost has you in tears reading about relationships with people in the Balkans suffering during the war.
well worth reading and its about someone who actually had a life rather than reading about celebrities who have done nowt.

Hell in Barbados: The True Story of a Man Imprisoned in Paradise
Hell in Barbados: The True Story of a Man Imprisoned in Paradise
by Terry Donaldson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not such a bad hell as other hells, 31 Oct 2009
I enjoyed the book, nice and easy to read but the coverage of the drug users reasons for taking drugs and there effects were more interesting than the prison aspect of the book.
I have read quite a few "hell prison" books and this prison sentence and treatment sounds soft in comparison to some. The lead up to him going to prison make the book worth reading but dont expect the prison treatment to be like Papillons or Warren fellows in thailand.
Still woth reading just for the story.

Fifty Dead Men Walking
Fifty Dead Men Walking
by Martin McGartland

3.0 out of 5 stars easy reading, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: Fifty Dead Men Walking (Paperback)
It is a good tale and no doubt a lot of it is true but for a story about such a terrifying time in recent history it is too easy to read.
It reads like a magazine short story and just sketches over certain items/events that probably deserve to be treat a bit more seriously. Still enjoyed the book and was a nice book to sit next to the pool in Menorca with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 8:34 AM BST

Wicked Beyond Belief: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper
Wicked Beyond Belief: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper
by Michael Bilton

4.0 out of 5 stars a must read for all true crime fans, 31 Oct 2009
A great insight into the murders an police investigation of the rippers crimes. Its easy to say with hindsight that some of the police investigating made a hash of it but it was really the inner politics of police work that done the damage.
I was in my mid teens when this was happening and did not realise the intensity of what was happening. Nowadays with modern computers and DNA they would have him caught and convicted in no time. He probably chose the right time in history to commit his crimes, just before technology made it possible to even catch the hoaxer which is covered in the up to date copy I purchased.
You read the facts thinking"how did they not catch him earlier" but hindsight is a great thing and he was lucky.
Give the book a whirl, its a long read but is interesting.

The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison
The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison
by W Fellows

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD READ, 7 Oct 2009
I enjoyed the book a lot, right up my street and could hardly put it down. I am not the most forgiving person but I did end up having sympathy for the inmates of the prisons in the book as we all desrve to be treated with some humanity.
The author appears to have learned his lesson and paid his price so good luck to him, I hope i never end up in that situation.

No Angel: An Undercover Journey to the Heart of the Hells Angels: My Undercover Journey to the Heart of the Hells Angels
by Jay Dobyns

5.0 out of 5 stars first class, 16 July 2009
Hard to believe at times but i suppose thats the level undercover work has to be in these modern days. A good read and a hard book to put down.

Panzram: A Journal of Murder
Panzram: A Journal of Murder
by James O. Long

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual but a hell of a tale, 19 April 2009
I could not say this is the best book about serial killers or mass murderers I have read but it gets a strange hold over you while you read it. Its a hell of a tale and the background info you get on how prisoners were treated and how prisons were ran during the depression stop you from putting it down. You cannot wait to get to the end to see what happens to him.
I found bits of it disturbing, there is not a lot of detail of his crimes but I think if he had wanted to get away with it he could probably have evaded justice for a lot longer and carried out a lot more crimes.
I think the picture on the cover and the expression on his face just about sums him up.
I would recommend this to anyone interested in true crime but dont expect the usual warts and all confessions but a life story of an unusual man who just happened to enjoy killing and raping people.

Banco: The Further Adventures of Papillon
Banco: The Further Adventures of Papillon
by Henri Charrière

4.0 out of 5 stars a good follow up tp papillon, 22 Feb 2009
I read Papillon over 20 years ago and when I informed my father who gave me most of my books I was going to read Banco straight after it he said not to bother as it was not up to much.
20+ years later I got myself a copy as I had nothing to read and I must admit, my old man was wrong, it is a very good book.
Well written and a good tale being told. I enjoyed every page and would recommend it to anyone who has read papillon. A few twists in the tale and many a plot, it keeps you interested throughout.
I only wish my life was as colourful without the trips to prison and the beatings etc.
If you enjoy biographies or prison type books, give it a try, you wont be disappointed.

The Only Living Witness: The True Story of Serial Sex Killer Ted Bundy
The Only Living Witness: The True Story of Serial Sex Killer Ted Bundy
by Roy Hazelwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great but well written, 16 Feb 2009
What the book lacks is a good confession from ted, probably because he only part admitted most of his crimes. He tried to sound like a third party telling you what might have happened if he had done it.
Gives as much information as possible regarding the life and crimes of Ted Bundy, they should have stoned him to death instead of giving him the chair.
Like most USA true crime books, it loses your interest during the trial and picking the jury sections but for anyone wanting to know what he did, this book will give you that info.

Page: 1 | 2