Profile for David L. Evans > Reviews

Content by David L. Evans

David L. Evans "Dave" (England, Winchester)

Plowing Unto Fields Of Love
Plowing Unto Fields Of Love
Price: 9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album. Progression from the last two records with ..., 22 Oct 2014
A great album. Progression from the last two records with a kind of rockabilly vibe going on. I'd have liked a bit more of the rough, noisy quality of You're Nothing, but that's a small gripe and doesn't really detract from what this album actually is. Definitely one for the 'albums of the year' list.

Memoir (Tattooed Portrait)
Memoir (Tattooed Portrait)
by Shawn Barber
Price: 24.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Oct 2013
This is a brilliant collection of Shaun Barber's work from his tattoo portraits series. The work itself is pretty flawless- if I'm reviewing the paintings. He has a wonderful knack for presenting his subjects. But the book- lovely and well produced to a high quality. Includes smaller sections at the back to show some of hi actual tattoo work as well as some photos of him in his studio which is a nice addition, being someone who is endlessly fascinated with artists' studio spaces. For this price, you cannot go wrong with this book. The only negative is that it could have benefited from a bit more accompanying text but there is some so I shan't get too hung up on that.

Bose  Companion  20 Multimedia Speaker System
Bose Companion 20 Multimedia Speaker System
Price: 199.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 7 July 2013
Just received these today so haven't had any time for anything to go wrong really- will update if the build quality let's it down but I doubt this from Bose and the free 2 year warranty sorts you out nicely anyways.

So, I've given these a run through several genres of music today. Mostly these work perfectly. I'm currently listening to A Tribe Called Quest: the balance of the bass is very good indeed and not overpowering as I had feared they might be. This wasn't quite the case with a couple of things today that I've played through these where they do tend towards being just slightly too boom-y when listening to the likes of Savages and other post-punk that was too bass-y, too boom-y. Only a touch though.
I have found the mids and to be plenty clear. Room for improvement but I'm really not gonna complain on that score.
Volume is controlled from a lovely round control pod that turns the speakers on and off as well as the volume. This (as with the speakers themselves) have a re-assuring weight to them that has quality written all over it. The bottom of the pod is made of a higher friction material so shouldn't slip if you are putting it on your desk of another polished surface.
My only wish is that there could be a bass control on this pod. Adjustments can usually be made to account for the bass on your ipod or computer or whatever you're using but it's just a hassle. So no major complaint. That is really the only bad thing I have to say. These performed well across Debussy, A Tribe Called Quest, Jeff Buckley, Metallica, Kanye West, Elliott Smith without issues. Reccomended.

Silence Yourself
Silence Yourself
Price: 9.25

4.0 out of 5 stars DO believe the hype, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Silence Yourself (Audio CD)
Yes, this has been hyped. Does it always measure up? Perhaps not buy it's one of the better albums released this far this year. They wear their influences (siouxsie, wire, joy division) on their sleeves and they are a great blend of the specific 80's brand of depression and power of Siouxsie and Joy Division but with the noise and aggression of Fugazi and the spirit of punk rock on there. Definitely worth buying.

Colloquial Hebrew (eBook And MP3 Pack) (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Hebrew (eBook And MP3 Pack) (Colloquial Series)
by Zippi Lyttleton
Price: 18.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 31 Oct 2012
I'll start with a brief pros/cons list:

pros:

-Contemporary and not out-dated.
-The CD's halp pronunciation terrifically.
-All the grammar/language points are demonstrated clearly e.g: word pairs, definite nouns, masculine/feminine terms, etc.
-It's light enough so as not to bog you down with an overly-academic approach.

Cons:

-There is a SLIGHT tendency to put words in exercises that have not been covered in the course at that point.
-There are points that are covered in the CD's that aren't indicated as such in the book- so be very conscious and dilligent in referring back to the CDs to check you're not missing points.
-I would appreciate a more extensive dictionary at the back. Obviously a full on wold be impractical but a bit more would have been appreciated.

That being said- Once I bought a Hebrew-English dictionary, I found the whole thing a lot easier so I reccomend this highly!!!

None of my negative points are major and are all highly out-weighed by the pros. I have been using this book for about 5 months or so now for about an hour or so a day and really enjoy it and find it a great help. If you are learning as an English speaker in England (as I am) I do have some tips for you- immerse yourself as much in the language as possible: make friends on Facebook or equivilant to chat with and find out how to add Hebrew to your computer language input system. Watch news reports or other short video clips on youtube- although you won't understand almost all the words at the start, I promise it does help. Same goes for movies- I reccomend Waltz With Bashir. If you can find them- buy kids books: There's one called:

ä,

'Dodo the fish' which I liked. These help a lot as there isn't a lot of chance to read an extended set of dialogue you aren't already familiar with in the book.

I heartily endorse this product!

Manifest!
Manifest!
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good show, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Manifest! (Audio CD)
I saw these guys kinda by chance recently because I wanted to show a friend, who was visiting from Germany, the venue (The Thekla, Bristol). Well...it was a great surprise! Manifest is so promising. When you hear these singles like I'm his Girl and Friend Crush it's not so often that the other songs on the album make it worth buying. But I cannot pick a real piece of filler on this record. It's such a cool mix of Cyndi Lauper, 80's Madonna with a touch of Prince....without sounding actually like any of these. But, for sure, it's bringing back the 80's vibe, the spirit of Madge and Cyndi flows here. Just check it out. You'll probably like it if you're interested enough to read this.