Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Wild Rover: A Blistering Journey Along Britain's Footpaths
The Wild Rover: A Blistering Journey Along Britain's Footpaths

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Of A Disappointment, 18 May 2013
This book didn't really do it for me. I was hoping for something more in keeping with the description, or Parker's other book "Map Addict". Instead I thought the author came across as really rather full of himself.

Whole sections of the first part of the book seem to be devoted to rewriting history so that the British footpath network becomes some sort of socialist success-story. One of the things I have always loved about walkers is how we are drawn from all sections of society, but to listen to Parker we are all secret Marxist-Leninists struggling against Tory landowners at every turn. This has not been my experience.

Then to add insult to injury, he displays the most appalling snobbery about towns like Swindon - worse than you would hear in any Conservative Club in the land. I wish I had never bought this book. The only thing I am giving any stars for is the few humorous jokes in the first chapters.

The Kingfisher Football Encyclopedia
The Kingfisher Football Encyclopedia
by Clive Gifford

1.0 out of 5 stars Woefully out of date wall chart, 17 Dec. 2012
Really poor that Amazon are pushing a book for Christmas 2012 that was clearly designed to tie in to the 2010 World Cup.

There is a wall chart at the end of the book that readers are supposed to fill in as the World Cup progresses, entering the results of each match. Totally useless now the World Cup is over ...

Surely they should have sold all copies of this book off for 99p at the end of summer 2010?

Magician (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1)
Magician (The Riftwar Saga, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not wholly original, 10 Oct. 2012
*** Some Spoilers ***

A tricky book to review, this one.

I bought it having read the enthusiastic reviews on this very page, but at first I thought I had made a bad mistake. The early chapters seemed to be full of stock fantasy cliches - a poor orphan with a mysterious destiny, a pipe-smoking wizard, tall willowy elves, gruff reliable dwarves, even a mysterious journey into a long abandoned dwarven mine.

The plot was also rather predictable. I don't want to give anything away, but it was patently obvious what was going to happen at the Choosing, and the developing relationship between Pug and Carline could hardly have been more laboured. The characters were quite appealing though and the book was generally well-written, but even so I was on the verge of writing the whole novel off as suitable only for kids or people who had never read a fantasy book before.

However, the plot improved dramatically once the main theme of the Riftwar got into its stride. It seems as though the idea of the origin of the mysterious invaders, and the clash of cultures this represented were where the author's real interest lay, and I found there were many more twists and turns to keep me interested than in the earlier chapters. After about a third of the way through, I found it more and more difficult to put the book down.

On the whole then, I would still say this is a book I would recommend to people unfamiliar with the fantasy genre, as they will find it a good starting point. It does however have some elements to keep other readers interested as well.

Finally, a word on the Kindle edition. The conversion is good, with proper table of contents and chapter headings, but the map at the start is pretty much useless.

Conan The Barbarian, The Complete Collection
Conan The Barbarian, The Complete Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stories - but the usual ebook typos, 28 Sept. 2012
I am a relative newcomer to ebooks, having only just purchased my Kindle recently, and having only used the Kindle app for a few weeks, but already I have found a depressing number of typographical and spelling errors in almost every book I have purchased. This problem is particularly prevalent at the cheaper end of the market. I understand that many of these ebooks have been created by using some software to scan the paper original.

This version of the Conan tales is a case in point. This is a real pity for me, as I love these stories. Surely I can't be the only one for whom this really spoils the reading experience?

Is there any way the publishers can be made aware of these issues? If they correct the errors, I believe Amazon will allow us to download the updated book for free.

The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition
by Stephen Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - but two small annoyances, 26 Sept. 2012
This book really is great fun. A real blast from the past, from an age when people could write stories about straightforward heroes and diabolical villains, with having to include lots of psychobabble and political correctness. I love every one of these stories.

Now the (very) small annoyances - firstly the pictures in the hardback version seem to have been positioned incorrectly. In almost every case, they appear in the book a page or two before the events they portray occur in the text. Any suspense the reader might be feeling as to what is about to happen is immediately dispelled when you can suddenly see a picture of it just before you get to the relevant part of the story.

Also - why no e-book version? The Conan collections available for free or at cheap prices in e-formats are almost all rubbish - littered with typos, some with bits missing (like the excellent Hyborian Age essay included here), or only including some of the stories and not others.

For these reasons I would like to give it 4 and a half out of five, but snce I can't ... 4 it is.

Before You Know It 4 in 1 (French, Italian, Spanish & German)
Before You Know It 4 in 1 (French, Italian, Spanish & German)
Offered by hixxysoft

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 21 Feb. 2012
I have used the BYKI Chinese package and have bought this one on the basis of my experience with that one. My thoughts are as follows:

1. This is not a complete language pack by any means - it is a vocabulary learning package. However 'vocabulary' is quite widely defned to include simple phrases as well as individual words. For this reason it is more useful than other vacabulary packs.

2. The Chinese package was difficult because I had to learn the characters as well as the words. This one is a lot easier.

3. Once you are through with the included lists of words/phrases, you can download user defined lists from the BYKI community which expands the usefulness enormously.

4. I am not sure I would have bought this when it was full price, but for £5.99 for four languages (I wnted French and Spanish and effectively got the other two thrown in for free), it can't really be beaten.

Top 10 of Everything 2011: Discover More Than Just the No. 1!
Top 10 of Everything 2011: Discover More Than Just the No. 1!
by Russell Ash

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for curious children ..., 19 Jan. 2011
May ten-year old boy loves this book. He devours the tables and comes out with odd facts at random times, such as, 'Did you know that the Himalayan Griffon Vulture is the largest bird of prey?'. A really good and educational present.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, 7 Jan. 2011
Not the fault of the item as such, but it was not what I was looking for. If you are buying it for use with an existing modem, then you need to make sure your connection to the modem is via Ethernet, or this router will not be compatible.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2011 3:41 PM GMT

Crash Course Acoustic Guitar (Crash Course (Warner Brothers))
Crash Course Acoustic Guitar (Crash Course (Warner Brothers))
by David Mead

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction For Absolute Beginners, 10 Feb. 2009
This book was a real find for me. Each lesson builds very gradually on the last, such that in eight weeks (56 days) you can go from knowing absolutely nothing about playing the guitar, to being able to play open chord accompaniments, plus simple melodies using plectrum or fingerpicking.

The basic structure of the book is that each daily lesson gives you a new concept to learn, and then gives 1 or 2 simple exercises to fix it in your mind. The CD shows you how it is supposed to sound. You are then supposed to repeat the exercises from the previous few lessons as well as revision.

After completing this book, I recommend getting the 'Basic Guitar Workout' by the same author. This contains a larger set of exercises of a similar type used in the Crash Course, and is very good value at around £4 or so.

Yamaha YT100 Electronic Guitar Tuner
Yamaha YT100 Electronic Guitar Tuner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but some small issues, 23 Jan. 2009
For the price this really can't be beaten, but I have had a few very minor problems. With the jack interface for electric guitars, the tuner works fine for the top 5 strings, but on the bass E it sometimes gives no display at all, and I need to pluck several times before a reading comes up.

Also, if using the external mic, you need to be in a very quiet room (at least if tuning an electric guitar without an amp connected). I have not had a chance to try it with a real acoustic guitar yet, so possibly that would be better. All in all though I am quite happy, although I may invest in a more expensive tuner at a later date.

Page: 1 | 2