Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

What Dreams May Come
What Dreams May Come
by Richard Matheson
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars If an afterlife did exist. Then I'd want to believe it could be this one., 17 July 2014
This review is from: What Dreams May Come (Paperback)
Brilliant read by the master of horror himself in a change of genre. What more can I say about this book. Struggled to put it down and now look forward to reading it for a second time. For the first time ever Matheson placed me into an afterlife world which I could actually just about believe in, and so much more convincing too than the nonsense afterlife most religions shove down your throat. This was an unbelievable read, and even a little bit of the author's horror trademark was thrown in during one terrifying chapter.

The Gentleman Tramp
The Gentleman Tramp
Price: 1.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Really good book, just dragged a little in parts somewhat, 17 July 2014
Really good book, just dragged a little in parts somewhat. But I enjoyed the quirky character and his adventures. Definitely a writer to look out for. I look forward to reading his next work of fiction.

Gunpowder, Treason And Plot [DVD] [2004]
Gunpowder, Treason And Plot [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little history drama, 17 July 2014
Great little history drama. Good cast. Well written and fairly accurate account of what went on I believe. Can't really go wrong with Robbie Carlyle.

The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By (Pocket Penguin Classics)
The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By (Pocket Penguin Classics)
by Georges Simenon

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant introduction into the thrilling world of Georges Simenon, 26 May 2014
This was a slow burner, but still very good none the less. I really enjoyed getting inside the main characters head. You really felt like you were a big part of his paranoia. It was a very short read, yet thoroughly engaging as I had absolutely no idea where this book was going to end up. My only beef was the ending, which if it turned out different to what it did, then I would have gave this master class or writing 5 stars.

Brilliant introduction into the thrilling world of Georges Simenon though. Can't wait to check out some more.

Cafe Independence
Cafe Independence
by Sean-Paul Thomas
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First book in a while that really made me LOL, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Cafe Independence (Paperback)
Took a few pages to get into, but well worth it for the funny, snappy and razor sharp dialogue and wit throughout. The various characters (and there are a lot) are all strangely wonderful, likeable, bizarre and unique in their own little quirky ways. Even if some of their opinions on life (and Scottish Independence are a bit strong and somewhat over the top)

The whole book is set in one afternoon/evening inside a Scottish Cafe during the day of the referendum. Weird and wonderful customers come and go. The staff pretty much stay the same, even though they too have their fair share iof dilemmas and drama.

The book is tongue and cheek informative without being too biased regarding the Scottish breakaway. It's Romantic. It's quirky. It's cheeky. It's sickly disgusting. (Mostly any scenes involving head Chef Brian) The language can be a bit of twisty tongue turner too if you're not that familiar with Scotland or the likes of Irvine Welsh/Alan Bissett. And there are plenty of gross out shocks, what the hell? and LOL moments scattered throughout, which keep you chuckling away. Although definitely not for the faint of heart.

Could defiantly see this as a quirky cult independent movie one day. It was very visual. My only wish was that the book was perhaps another 50 pages longer just to see what other shenanigan the group of main characters created for themselves the following day.

All in all a quick and very enjoyable read.

The Lonely Backpacker
The Lonely Backpacker

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloke lit, 24 April 2013
I really enjoyed your honest, straight-forward, no-nonsense tale of a young man in search of sexual adventures. Sometimes, there is an almost stream of-consciousness to your style which I think is quite refreshing. I also loved your tongue-in-cheek wit. I did spot a spelling (or word) error that you may want to look at - I'm pretty sure 'curtsy' should be 'courtesy'. If you can tap into the right market, I think you may be on to a winner. If there wasn't already a 'bloke-lit' genre, there is now! High stars.

DARK LIGHT
DARK LIGHT
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely addictive, 13 May 2012
This review is from: DARK LIGHT (Audio CD)
I was always an on/off east 17 fan, well more tony mortimer fan, loved it when he did all the writing and rapping on songs like deep, house of love, I want it, slow it down, steam, let it rain, MF power. That was the east 17 I knew and loved. It was when they started doing silly songs like hold my body tight, hey child, SAD and the soppy boyband rubbish that really put me off. Although I secretly feel Tony was loosing control of what songs he wanted to release by the power house marketing bigwigs above him. Of course Walthamstow was by far the best raw debut album I have ever heard to date, even songs that were never released from the album like Gotta do something, I want it, feel what you can't see, all brilliant raw songs, so different to anything else at the time and songs which could've easily made it into the charts. Michael Jackson had similar great album only songs too along with more recent acts like Eminem and Pro green. (I'm sure there are others)

Now when I heard about this album I was utterly convinced that Tony was gonna get back to the basics of Walhamstow with a more urban, hip hop catchy rap feel... but instead we get a kind of soft rock beatles meets queen meets the streets meets every other soft rock ban out there but with a touch of the old Tony song writing magic. I listened to it one song at a time, not knowing if I was liking these tunes or not, but jeeze... they just grow on you and grow on you and grow on you... What an awesome album lads, well done, so far away from the east 17 of old, yet strangely more addictive. I just can't understand why this hasn't been marketed or promoted better as there are at least 6 or 7 top ten hits on here. Anyway, good luck guys, this album deserves big things.

This Other Eden
This Other Eden
by Ben Elton
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and clever, 30 April 2012
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
Was never too keen on Ben elton as a comedian, but as a writer/novelist he is first class. This was one of the funniest books I have read in a long time, great humor and set in a not too distant future. It's full of great characters, great one liners and a plot that will stay with you long after you have put the book down and given it to someone else to read. Elton is a clever but witty genius. Can't wait to start reading the rest of his back catalog now.

God Hates Us All
God Hates Us All
by Jonathan Grotenstein
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If you love the show you'll love the book, 30 April 2012
This review is from: God Hates Us All (Paperback)
I read this pretty much in one sitting. Was always curious to find out more about Hank moody's character and when I heard that there was a book out on the series then I just had to check it out. Funny, thrilling, sexy, heart breaking. Can't recommend this book enough. Will read it again soon.

Betty Blue (Abacus Books)
Betty Blue (Abacus Books)
by Philippe Djian
Price: 10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but tragic. Couldn't put it down., 26 Mar 2012
Brilliant but tragic, definitely one of the best books I have ever read and will no doubt read again at some point. The film is of course awesome too, but the book gets you so much more emotionally involved. A real life love story that most people who live in the real world can relate too. Couldn't put it down.

Page: 1 | 2