Profile for A. C. Labels Clouston > Reviews

Content by A. C. Labels C...

A. C. Labels Clouston

Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)
Offered by ATELCO Computer AG

5.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, 2 Feb. 2010
I got these drives to replace some Western Digital 500GB drives that failed within weeks of delivery - see my other review. So far these seem fine and hopefully will prove as reliable as other Seagate drives I've used in the past. No problems yet.

Western Digital Caviar Blue  500GB SATAII  16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM WD5000AAKS
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM WD5000AAKS
Offered by Inkubus Bargains

1.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to 500GB drives - had problems, 15 Dec. 2009
I got 5 of these drives to upgrade capacity on overnight backups. One of the drives failed on it's first backup and I can't do anything with it in Windows Disk Management. The drive is visible but reported as unreadable. It has no drive letter and Windows isn't allowing me to do anything with it, like start again as if it was a fresh drive.

Due to the fact that data was written to the drive before it failed I'm reluctant to return it for a refund so I'm going to write it off and buy another. I've replaced dozens of hard drives over the years and this is the first one that failed on first use.

One of the other drives completed a backup but lost it's drive letter afterwards, so I had to reallocate - seems OK now.

We use these drives in a removeable caddy system called Idealstor. It's always possible that something else caused these problems, not the drives themselves, but prior to the upgrade we were using Seagate 320GB drives with no problems at all (other than we ran out of space and needed bigger drives, hence the upgrade).

I'm going to buy some more drives and I'll try a different brand. If I have trouble with these too I'll post a revision to this review but right now the experience hasn't been good.

UPDATE

Had no more problems with the 4 good drives, but the one that died after one backup doesn't look recoverable. I've checked reviews for other brands, hoping they would be slightly better, but they all have a similar story. Mostly happy users with the occasional problem. Seagate and Hitachi don't fare any better, at least on these larger capacity SATA drives, but I'll probably buy Seagate as I ran 10 of them in 2 different backup sets and they all worked perfectly straight out of the box and in service. I've notched the review up by one star on the basis that the 4 good drives seem OK.

FINAL UPDATE

Another 2 of these drives have now failed, so that's 3 out of 5 now. I'm replacing them with Seagate 500MB drives. The Seagate drives are working perfectly so I think I can definitely say that nothing else in my hardware set up could be the cause of these problems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 7:54 PM BST