Profile for N Fletcher > Reviews

Idiocracy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Luke Wilson
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A strangely prophetic view of the future, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Idiocracy [DVD] (DVD)
When I first saw this film a few years ago, I thought it was a very funny story that went over-the-top a bit. On seeing it again a couple years ago, I found it mildly disturbing. Now I have thought about it, and seen the news stories on some of the actions taken by governments and large multi-national companies in recent years, I find the film very accurate in showing wjhat the US may look like in a couple of centuries. That's of course if they choose not to evolve ... :-P

Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, and CSS: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Dynamic Websites
by Robin Nixon
Price: 25.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the beginner to intermediate transition, 26 Aug 2013
I started writing software in 1976, and stayed in the mainstream applications and embedded software industries. Although I toyed with HTML, CSS and MySQL over the years, I was not "getting it", this new more integrated technology approach. I am pleased to say that this book has helped me get a grasp of the web development paradigm a great deal more firmly. I am now writing some complicated PHP, MySQL and Javascript code to fulfill some long-running ambitions. I have complemented my study with David Flanagan's "Javascript: The Definitive Guide" 6th Ed. (O'Reilly) and Nich Zakas' "Professional JavaScript for Web Developers" 3rd Ed. (WROX)". Neither are light reading, but they extend what's in Robin Nixon's book quite nicely. Robin has set a good foundation for me. I use the MySQL reference site for all my MySQL research.
If I had any complaint it is that Robin does not go quite far enough with some of the examples - many of them are a little too simple, but still informative - and there are large areas of functionality that most websites would capitalise on to make them attractive to users. I have enjoyed many an hour enhancing some of the examples, but I have also not enjoyed the odd hour or so trying to work out why the "simple enhancement" did not work as expected.
Some improvements to consider in the 3rd Ed.:
1. More on MySQL stored procedures, both written in the Management Tool with SQL and using PHP.
2. More on AJAX integration for tabulated data needing regular refreshes.
3. More on AJAX integration and streamlining of PHP by using more JavaScript presentation methods and dynamic JavaScript HTML generation.
4. Some information on running mobile client apps on tablets & phones with a MySQL & PHP server, especially some of the security aspects.
5. Getting Google Docs/Apps to work with a PHP & MySQL server setup
There, that should keep you busy Robin. Good book though, and good value. No time wasted reading this one if you are a beginner, or early intermediate.

Aqua Optima 60-Day Water Filter 12 pack - 2 years' supply
Aqua Optima 60-Day Water Filter 12 pack - 2 years' supply
Price: 27.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 26 Aug 2013
Have been using these filters for a while, as they're cheaper and last longer than the B*t*a brand. Still a growing customer base so a little difficult to find on the high street - enter Amazon :-). The filters last, for the most part, the full 60-days on 3-5 2-litre fill-ups a day. Keeps the kettle limescale down a treat.

Google App Engine Java and Gwt Application Development
Google App Engine Java and Gwt Application Development
by Daniel Guermeur
Price: 30.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of date (Edn. Nov 2010), 26 Aug 2013
Did not find this a useful resource. I don't know how long it took to write but from the publication date it appears that it was already out of date on initial release. Most of the tools and libraries have surged forward in the last couple years and re-structured themselves to some extent. Not a complete waste of money as many of the examples could be adapted with some careful analysis. Most certainly not a book for beginners or intermediates.

Essential App Engine: Building High Performance Java Apps with Google App Engine (Developer's Library)
by Adriaan de Jonge
Price: 24.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading cover info, examples, code snippits, 26 Aug 2013
The "essential" Google Apps elements of the content are not very obvious. I'm no expert at software development for the web, but when most of the key examples rely on a little known plugin/extension (StringTemplate) I woder what the purpose of the book really is. I gave up by page 130 (another 157 to go) as I was unable to successfully install StringTemplate. The StringTemplate version in the book is out of date, and the website support is almost non-existent. Thios made the attempts at getting the examples to work almost impossible. Not worth the money paid for the book, nor the time wasted reading it.